Words of wisdom from Jacques Rogge to the cycling community

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by foxvi, Dec 23, 2006.

1. foxvi

foxvi New Member

Posted on cyclingnews.com - perhaps Mr Rogge has stated the obvious, but at last someone has. Our sport is being ripped apart. The UCI losing control and respect, national associations and race organisors wanting to do their own thing, the media hounding of the riders, teams and sponsors not supporting their riders. Fans being forgotten. Lets just move on now otherwise our sport will just continue to breakdown.

I also take this opportunity to wish all a happy Christmas and peaceful New Year and thanks for all the great posts - I off now for the Christmas break to eat too much and have fun with my family and friends - talk to you all in 2007!

'The president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Belgian Jacques Rogge, has spoken out in favour of the creation of a DNA database assembling the vital facts of all top-level athletes, including cyclists. In an interview with Het Laatste Nieuws, Rogge considered this to be the next step in the fight against doping, not only within cycling, but also in other sports.
    "Today, the riders have to give urine and blood samples. Tomorrow, this has to include DNA also," Rogge stated. "It's not very painful: a pin prick inside the cheek, a bit of hair... that's less painful than blood extraction. The data would be well-stored and protected. Tell me, what's the problem?"

The IOC boss went even further, saying that the fight against doping needed the interventions of police authorities to be successful. "(A DNA database), together with more controls, home searches, telephone taps... We have to find the next Fuentes fast."

Still, Rogge presented himself as a firm supporter of the presumption of innocence, and said that Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich should not be excluded from their sport, as their guilt had not been established. "The question of whether or not they are guilty has not yet been answered," he added. "Basso, Ullrich and the others are therefore free to race wherever they want to. Now, does this annoy me as a sports fan? Yes. But should we be allowed to exclude them? No. I don't find it particularly pleasant to tolerate them in the peloton, but it is necessary. The presumption of innocence is a sacred principle to me.

"We can't hold a with hunt without proof - the ProTour teams have to understand that. It's not enough to be convinced of somebody's guilt," Rogge concluded. '

Tags:

2. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Finally an official is talking sense...

3. fbircher

fbircher New Member

Does your omission of the first part of the quote (i.e., unequivocal statement in favor of mandatory DNA testing) mean that you don't find that part of his opinion sensible?

4. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

The DNA part is not very interesting, read Damsgaard.

5. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

So will they race or not?

6. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Ofcourse they will race.

7. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

In the GT's?

8. musette

musette New Member

Basso will race, including in the Giro and the Tour. I don't know about JU -- he probably will race, but he doesn't have DC's protection and therefore is less well-positioned in this regard.

9. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

???

10. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

Why do you "???" question his statement?

11. wolfix

wolfix New Member

I'm not sure that CH has figured out that musette is whiteboytrash's alter-ego. There is some thought they are the same. Whiteboytrash is sitting down in his warm little house and laughing at us as he argues on the forum with himself. Then , as internet posters do, we respond with our viewpoints. Whiteboytrash is controlling us.

12. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

That's it! Thanks i didn't thought about that! Well 2007 can really begin now. Let's roll!

13. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Nah been in Prague for Christmas..... stood in the very spot where Lance Armstong won the Prague post-tour crit in 2004.... very nice, lots of snow and gluwein... very nice town.. last time I was there was in 91 two years after the wall came down....:)

Looking forward to 2007 races and the circus that will be keeping Basso and co. out of certain races.... :)

My contacts at EuroSport tell me they are stepping up there coverage this year with a weekly talkshow on cycling along with live coverage of all the major races....

14. musette

musette New Member

Rest assured that I am distinct from anybody else on this forum. :cool: Distinct, in the sense of inimitable as well as not having another username.

15. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Along with a distinctive style of bullshit.... :p

16. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Everytime I read a post from either of you I laugh....... because I just know you are sitting there laughing as you write it........

17. BottleCage

BottleCage New Member

What snow in Prague? It snowed one time this winter and the acculmulation was about 1" and it melted by noon the next of the day. If that is lots of snow you must be from South Florida.

Also by the LA did not win that crit. I was there and Ondrej Sosenka won the race. I have photos too. After the race Lance said sometimes you just don't have the legs.("With a grin" I might add.) Like most post tour crits I believe the "fix" was on.

Please stop the lies. ;-)

So we know you were not in Prague? Where were you? ;)

Nashledanou,

Robert

18. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

WBT probebly was in Texas, looking for a Lance autograph. (Ofcourse handwritten)

19. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

Sadly WBT, needs a lot of couch time, the lies started at birth ~ :eek: ~

20. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Tool ! More snow than farkin London ! Thats lots ! Not lots for you but lots for me ! It snowed from 2pm on boxing day all through the night until the next morning then melted... calm down !

I stayed at Hotel Yasim on Politickych.. very nice...

Now make sure you're in London for the Tour prolouge and I'll show you rain in summer ! :eek:

PS to prove I was in Prague here is a photo of Mrs. WBT (with face
    concealed - note better figure than mussette) at the Rudolfinum complete with snow !! :p