Work commuting deals

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. I have just been forwarded a deal offered to employees of Oxford University, and some colleges, that
    gives 300 quid towards the cost of a Brompton to purchasers on Thames Trains season tickets to
    Oxford. They even provide free adult tuition for new/returning cyclists. Not a bad deal on the
    surface, but the conditions limit the offer to the first ten applicants. And there was me imagining
    Oxford awash with Brommies. Still, good luck to those ten.

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have just been forwarded a deal offered to employees of Oxford University, and some colleges,
    > that gives 300 quid towards the cost of a Brompton to purchasers on Thames Trains season tickets
    > to Oxford. They even provide free adult tuition for new/returning cyclists. Not a bad deal on the
    > surface, but the conditions limit the offer to the first ten applicants. And there was me
    > imagining Oxford awash with Brommies. Still, good luck to those ten.
    >
    > Colin

    Expect to see a rush of adverts for "Brompton (unused - unwanted gift) for sale"

    Tony

    -- http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  3. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    ( Ihave just been forwarded a deal offered to employees of Oxford ) University, and some colleges,
    that gives 300 quid towards the cost of a ( Brompton to purchasers on Thames Trains season
    tickets to Oxford. They ) even provide free adult tuition for new/returning cyclists. Not a bad
    ( deal on the surface, but the conditions limit the offer to the first ten ) applicants. And
    there was me imagining Oxford awash with Brommies. ( Still, good luck to those ten.

    There are rather more Bromptons about the University than there used to be, and by and large they
    seem to be ridden by the professoriate (both titular and statutary).

    Mind you, TT's season tickets are a good deal dearer than any reasonable Brompton. It's the first
    I'd heard about the Bromptons, but we have a season ticket loan scheme with a cap of (only) five
    kiloquid on the size of the loan.

    Oxford University's problem is that its staff cannot afford to live in Oxford. Of course the problem
    is really that its non-academic staff cannot afford to live either in or near Oxford.

    > There are rather more Bromptons about the University than there used to be, and by and large they
    > seem to be ridden by the professoriate (both titular and statutary).
    >
    > Mind you, TT's season tickets are a good deal dearer than any reasonable Brompton. It's the first
    > I'd heard about the Bromptons, but we have a season ticket loan scheme with a cap of (only) five
    > kiloquid on the size of the loan.

    A friend received a flier from his departmental admin, forwarded from a central admin.

    > Oxford University's problem is that its staff cannot afford to live in Oxford. Of course the
    > problem is really that its non-academic staff cannot afford to live either in or near Oxford.

    Don't I know. Mind, when I did live in Oxford I was fortunate enough to rent a Wytham property which
    was well below normal rates as well as being a nice place to live.

    Colin

  5. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Sounds great. But will they provision for carrying bikes on the train? Will they provision for
    parking at the station under cover without having to lug the bikes up and over the platform(s)? Will
    they give up any of their space allocated for car-parking to allow cyclists the merest hint of some
    dignity and faciilities?

    They will point to the fact that they own neither the station nor the car park, and so it is nothing
    to do with them.

    However, great in as far as it goes. It's nice to see a train company associating cycles with rail .
    It is a pity that TT are being forced to cancel the Bristol to Oxford train by the SRA to make
    services more punctual on the GWR line. (Ironically in the last 6 weeks the trains have been
    uncannily punctual.)

    Peter

    > I have just been forwarded a deal offered to employees of Oxford University, and some colleges,
    > that gives 300 quid towards the cost of a Brompton to purchasers on Thames Trains season tickets
    > to Oxford. They even provide free adult tuition for new/returning cyclists. Not a bad deal on the
    > surface, but the conditions limit the offer to the first ten applicants. And there was me
    > imagining Oxford awash with Brommies. Still, good luck to those ten.
    >
    > Colin

  6. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:20:14 +0000 (UTC), al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>
    > However, great in as far as it goes. It's nice to see a train company associating cycles with rail
    > . It is a pity that TT are being forced to cancel the Bristol to Oxford train by the SRA to make
    > services more punctual on the GWR line. (Ironically in the last 6 weeks the trains have been
    > uncannily punctual.)

    I understand this is because the Oxford to Bristol service has been unofficially cancelled for quite
    some time (indeed, since about the time the SRA first announced that it was going to be scrapped in
    the future).

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Sounds great. But will they provision for carrying bikes on the train? Will they provision for
    > parking at the station under cover without having to lug the bikes up and over the platform(s)?
    > Will they give up any of their space allocated for car-parking to allow cyclists the merest hint
    > of some dignity and faciilities?

    It depends who 'they' are here but since this particular promotion was about Bromptons I don't
    really know what you are going on about.

    Colin

  8. Geraint Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    >There are rather more Bromptons about the University than there used to be,

    My impression is that there are more Bromptons about everywhere. I wonder if they have started
    buying controlling interests in train operators? :)

  9. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Tut Tut, silly me. I thought the promotion was being run by Thames Trains.

    Peter

    > > Sounds great. But will they provision for carrying bikes on the train? Will they provision for
    > > parking at the station under cover without
    having to
    > > lug the bikes up and over the platform(s)? Will they give up any of
    their
    > > space allocated for car-parking to allow cyclists the merest hint of
    some
    > > dignity and faciilities?
    >
    > It depends who 'they' are here but since this particular promotion was about Bromptons I don't
    > really know what you are going on about.
    >
    > Colin

  10. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    The Oxford (actually Bicester) to Bristol TM is still running- I catch it occasionally. It is due to
    be stopped in May when the summer timetable comes out.

    Peter "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:20:14 +0000 (UTC), al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > > However, great in as far as it goes. It's nice to see a train company associating cycles with
    > > rail . It is a pity that TT are being forced to cancel the Bristol to Oxford train by the SRA to
    > > make services more punctual on the GWR line. (Ironically in the last 6 weeks the trains have
    > > been uncannily punctual.)
    > >

    > I understand this is because the Oxford to Bristol service has been unofficially cancelled for
    > quite some time (indeed, since about the time the SRA first announced that it was going to be
    > scrapped in the future).
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > --
    > Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  11. Sky Fly

    Sky Fly Guest

    "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Oxford University's problem is that its staff cannot afford to live in Oxford. Of course the
    > problem is really that its non-academic staff cannot afford to live either in or near Oxford.

    Really? I can understand why living in London is expensive - lots of high paying jobs, so the
    people who have those jobs drive up the cost of acommodation. But Oxford? Who are the rich people
    that live there?

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Oxford University's problem is that its staff cannot afford to live in Oxford. Of course the
    > > problem is really that its non-academic staff cannot afford to live either in or near Oxford.
    >
    > Really? I can understand why living in London is expensive - lots of high paying jobs, so the
    > people who have those jobs drive up the cost of acommodation. But Oxford? Who are the rich people
    > that live there?

    People who work in London.

    Colin

  13. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Tut Tut, silly me. I thought the promotion was being run by Thames Trains.

    The promotion is being run by TT, Brompton and the University. I still don't see the relevance of
    your comments to this promotion.

    Colin

  14. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:28:55 +0000 (UTC), al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Oxford (actually Bicester) to Bristol TM is still running-I catch it occasionally. It is due
    > to be stopped in May when the summer timetable comes out.

    Yes, although one of my colleagues who always relied on this to get to work says that since the SRA
    announcement, the service has clearly begun to run down - far more cancelled/missing trains, etc.

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  15. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Simply that if a train company was promoting the use of cycles on its trains, or to and from its
    stations, it would be good if they did more to facilitate the use of those cycles on said trains
    and stations.

    Peter

    > > Tut Tut, silly me. I thought the promotion was being run by Thames
    Trains.

    > The promotion is being run by TT, Brompton and the University. I still don't see the relevance of
    > your comments to this promotion.
    >
    > Colin

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Simply that if a train company was promoting the use of cycles on its trains, or to and from its
    > stations, it would be good if they did more to facilitate the use of those cycles on said trains
    > and stations.

    But they are promoting the use of folders. If enough people switch to folders for rail commuting
    they can ditch some of those facilities for non-folders. I'm not arguing for one minute that this is
    right but it is certainly a route they might want to investigate.

    Colin

  17. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I agree. It is the least reliable service which I could use between Bristol, Bath, Chippenham
    and Swindon.

    Peter.

    "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:28:55 +0000 (UTC), al_Mossah <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > The Oxford (actually Bicester) to Bristol TM is still running-I catch it occasionally. It is due
    > > to be stopped in May when the summer timetable comes out.
    > >

    > Yes, although one of my colleagues who always relied on this to get to
    work
    > says that since the SRA announcement, the service has clearly begun to run down - far more
    > cancelled/missing trains, etc.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > --
    > Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  18. "Sky Fly" wrote: ( Really? I can understand why living in London is expensive - ) lots of high
    paying jobs, so the people who have those jobs ( drive up the cost of acommodation. But Oxford? Who
    are the ) rich people that live there? ( ) -- ( Akin ) ( aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    Many of them are people who think of Oxford as "out in the country" but have those high paying jobs
    in London. We're under an hour out of Paddington on the fast services, which makes it better than
    up the Cotswold line, and probably a shorter commute than that of people who live in many of the
    leafier bits of London. It's also apparently quite a popular place to settle after having made
    one's millions in the City, having a little more in the way of cultural life than most of the
    otherwise estimable Thames Valley. Moreover, it's pretty expensive all the way from Oxford to
    London, unlike the Other Place in the Fens, which is even more expensive but more in an isolated
    island sort of way.

    It's partly that there just aren't enough houses, but whenever more houses get built -- like all
    those in the strip of land between the railway and the canal -- they fill up with commuters.