Work....School....Ride?

FatRoadie

Feb 8, 2003
Can some of you guru's give me some recommendations on building a training schedule that will improve my cycling, but also where my primary goal is on weight loss?

The entirety of the problem stems from my current work and school schedule and having to ride outside (IE No trainer indoors).

My work schedule is 3 days on 2 Off 2 On 3 Off, working hours are from 1600hrs til 0800 (Full time EMS/Rescue in New Orleans)

My school sched is full time, 3 days per week, Mon (1000 til 1500) Wed (1000 til 1530, cutting out last 30 mins of lab under Course Dir approval) and Fri (1000 til 1500).

Luckily this will only be for this semester, as the three days I work usually fall every other weekend and school friday, work work work then school mon, is a killer....

Thanks to info here in the past and recommendations from the membership here my cycling has improved exponentially, but now Id like to give it that extra push......

Over the last year and a half my weight has dropped from 320lbs (returning to MTB'ing) down to 238 (current weight) Height is 6'2" waist is 38" neck is 18.5"......yadda yadda.........The riding here is for the most part FLAT.......some places are less than flat....

The distance loop we usually ride is 58miles RT. On a good day Im turning an average of 19 mph, with highs in the 26-32mph and lows as bad as 11mph (headwinds off the riverfront)

Should I be thinking about setting something up that does the full 58, then a rest day, then something shorter?

In addition to riding to lose weight Id like to keep building my cycling ability.....

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Bruce bka FatRoadie

well, honestly, im also kinda new to cycling, and my training scheduel (damn, watever, i suck at spelling anyways) is not-so-good, but one thingi can help u with is the weight loss part. if ur having trouble finging time, then this is a great short little work-out 4 u. u put ur back to a wall and use it for support, u keep ur legs in a 90 degree angle and stay there for as long as u could. ur great if u could manage 3 minutes. its also cool if u lightly bob up and down a little just to get ur mucles working even more. this excercise makes ur body use up a lot of energy as heat, which is a good thing, calaries=heat, good luck

Originally posted by FatRoadie
Can some of you guru's give me some recommendations on building a training schedule that will improve my cycling, but also where my primary goal is on weight loss?

When are you sleeping??? When you have enough sleep - go for your route - hopefully at least once a week. I assume you are driving to all these places - if possible bike to school or work as you can fit in & add in some interval training (when you are going home). Maybe you can bring your bike in with you to work via the car & ride the bike home - then the next day ride your bike into work and drive to classes then home. Depending on the mileage, etc... that gives you at least 3 rides a week & hopefully more.
Good luck