Work Sets?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by The Crow, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. The Crow

    The Crow Guest

    I have always done three work sets. Obviously reps vary, but I have always
    done three work sets, liking the pyramid simitry of putting in max effort
    over three sets, with the middle set feeling slightly more comfortable than
    the other two. (Probably because my warm up sets are not comprehensive
    enough). But now I am reading a lot about doing only two, or maybe even one
    work set? What kind of number of work sets do people find works for them?

    Tags:

  2. JRH

    JRH Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:07:54 -0000, "The Crow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have always done three work sets. Obviously reps vary, but I have always
    >done three work sets, liking the pyramid simitry of putting in max effort
    >over three sets, with the middle set feeling slightly more comfortable than
    >the other two. (Probably because my warm up sets are not comprehensive
    >enough). But now I am reading a lot about doing only two, or maybe even one
    >work set? What kind of number of work sets do people find works for them?

    There are various schools of thought all claiming to be right:

    From:
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/weight.htm

    "How Many
    The number of repetitions performed to fatigue is an important
    consideration in designing a strength training program. The greatest
    strength gains appear to result from working with 4-6RM. Increasing
    this to 12-20RM favours the increase in muscle endurance and mass.

    One set of 4-6RM performed 3 days a week is a typical strength
    training program. The optimal number of sets of an exercise to develop
    muscle strength remains controversial. In a number of studies
    comparing multiple set programs to produce greater strength gains than
    a single set, the majority of studies indicate that there is not a
    significant difference.

    Handling heavy weights in the pursuit of strength will require a
    recovery of 3-5 minutes between sets, but only minimum recovery should
    be taken if strength endurance is the aim. The majority of athletic
    events are fast and dynamic, and therefore this quality must be
    reflected in the athlete's strength work.

    Muscular strength is primarily developed when 8RM or less is used in a
    set. How much load you use depends upon what it is you wish to
    develop:

    1RM to 3RM - neuromuscular strength
    4RM to 6RM - maximum strength by stimulating muscle hypertrophy
    6RM to 12RM - muscle size (hypertrophy) with moderate gains in
    strength (Fleck & Kraemer, 1996)
    12RM to 20RM - muscle size and endurance "

  3. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    >I have always done three work sets. Obviously reps vary, but I have always
    >done three work sets, liking the pyramid simitry of putting in max effort
    >over three sets, with the middle set feeling slightly more comfortable than
    >the other two. (Probably because my warm up sets are not comprehensive
    >enough). But now I am reading a lot about doing only two, or maybe even one
    >work set? What kind of number of work sets do people find works for them?

    Five sets of Five is the latest rage in powerlifting among drug free
    lifters.

  4. Dally

    Dally Guest

    John Hanson wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:07:54 -0000, "The Crow"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
    >

    >>I have always done three work sets. Obviously reps vary, but I have always
    >>done three work sets, liking the pyramid simitry of putting in max effort
    >>over three sets, with the middle set feeling slightly more comfortable than
    >>the other two. (Probably because my warm up sets are not comprehensive
    >>enough). But now I am reading a lot about doing only two, or maybe even one
    >>work set? What kind of number of work sets do people find works for them?
    >>

    > Five sets of Five is the latest rage in powerlifting among drug free
    > lifters.

    Hmmm. I like three sets of 8. Your twenty-five lifts sounds like it'd
    beat my 24 lifts.

    Dally

  5. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote

    > On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:07:54 -0000, "The Crow"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
    >
    >>I have always done three work sets. Obviously reps vary, but I have
    >>always
    >>done three work sets, liking the pyramid simitry of putting in max effort
    >>over three sets, with the middle set feeling slightly more comfortable
    >>than
    >>the other two. (Probably because my warm up sets are not comprehensive
    >>enough). But now I am reading a lot about doing only two, or maybe even
    >>one
    >>work set? What kind of number of work sets do people find works for them?
    >>

    > Five sets of Five is the latest rage in powerlifting among drug free
    > lifters.

    How does that break down John?

    Are the first two warm ups, followed by two heavy sets and then a "back off"
    set? Or??

    Details man, we want details!!!

  6. Jason Earl

    Jason Earl Guest

    Dally <[email protected]> writes:

    > John Hanson wrote:
    >> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:07:54 -0000, "The Crow"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
    >>
    >>> I have always done three work sets. Obviously reps vary, but I
    >>> have always done three work sets, liking the pyramid simitry of
    >>> putting in max effort over three sets, with the middle set feeling
    >>> slightly more comfortable than the other two. (Probably because my
    >>> warm up sets are not comprehensive enough). But now I am reading a
    >>> lot about doing only two, or maybe even one work set? What kind of
    >>> number of work sets do people find works for them?
    >>>

    >> Five sets of Five is the latest rage in powerlifting among drug free
    >> lifters.

    > Hmmm. I like three sets of 8. Your twenty-five lifts sounds like
    > it'd beat my 24 lifts.
    >
    > Dally

    Five by Five gets you a little more rest, a little more total volume,
    and you can use more weight in each set as well. Of course, there are
    approximately a million variations on the "classic" 5x5. YMMV.

    Jason

  7. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:30:11 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
    <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    >"John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:07:54 -0000, "The Crow"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
    >>
    >>>I have always done three work sets. Obviously reps vary, but I have
    >>>always
    >>>done three work sets, liking the pyramid simitry of putting in max effort
    >>>over three sets, with the middle set feeling slightly more comfortable
    >>>than
    >>>the other two. (Probably because my warm up sets are not comprehensive
    >>>enough). But now I am reading a lot about doing only two, or maybe even
    >>>one
    >>>work set? What kind of number of work sets do people find works for them?
    >>>

    >> Five sets of Five is the latest rage in powerlifting among drug free
    >> lifters.

    >How does that break down John?
    >
    >Are the first two warm ups, followed by two heavy sets and then a "back off"
    >set? Or??

    All five sets are done at the same weight. You will gain weight:)

    >Details man, we want details!!!

    This is Big Brad's 5x5. It's based on a projected max with no gear
    and no belt. Nick Tylutki has a similar one where he wears more gear
    later in the program. I have them both, as well as the Russian Front
    Squat program, in an excel spreadsheet. You just plug in your
    max/projected max.

    5x5 sets are done in 20-30 minutes. 8x2 sets are done High Bar with
    close stance in 10-15 minutes.

    Week Weight Sets Percentage Gear
    1 5x5 52.50% None/No Belt
    2 5x5 57.50% None/No Belt
    3 5x5 62.50% None/No Belt
    4 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    5 5x5 65.00% None/No Belt
    6 5x5 70.00% None/No Belt
    7 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    8 5x5 75.00% None/No Belt
    9 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    10 5x5 67.50% None/No Belt
    11 5x5 72.50% None/No Belt
    12 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    13 5x5 77.50% None/No Belt
    14 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    15 3x1 Max Full Gear
    16 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt

  8. DZ

    DZ Guest

    John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Lee Michaels" wrote:
    >>"John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Five sets of Five is the latest rage in powerlifting among drug
    >>> free lifters.

    >>How does that break down John?
    >>
    >>Are the first two warm ups, followed by two heavy sets and then a
    >>"back off" set? Or??

    > All five sets are done at the same weight. You will gain weight:)
    >>
    >>Details man, we want details!!!

    > This is Big Brad's 5x5. It's based on a projected max with no gear
    > and no belt. Nick Tylutki has a similar one where he wears more gear
    > later in the program. I have them both, as well as the Russian Front
    > Squat program, in an excel spreadsheet. You just plug in your
    > max/projected max.
    >
    > 5x5 sets are done in 20-30 minutes. 8x2 sets are done High Bar with
    > close stance in 10-15 minutes.
    >
    > Week Weight Sets Percentage Gear
    > 1 5x5 52.50% None/No Belt
    > 2 5x5 57.50% None/No Belt
    > 3 5x5 62.50% None/No Belt
    > 4 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    > 5 5x5 65.00% None/No Belt
    > 6 5x5 70.00% None/No Belt
    > 7 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    > 8 5x5 75.00% None/No Belt
    > 9 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    > 10 5x5 67.50% None/No Belt
    > 11 5x5 72.50% None/No Belt
    > 12 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    > 13 5x5 77.50% None/No Belt
    > 14 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    > 15 3x1 Max Full Gear
    > 16 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt

    Is it just one 5x5 day per week for each exercise?

  9. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On 26 Jan 2006 04:35:38 GMT, DZ
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>How does that break down John?
    >>>
    >>>Are the first two warm ups, followed by two heavy sets and then a
    >>>"back off" set? Or??

    >> All five sets are done at the same weight. You will gain weight:)
    >>>
    >>>Details man, we want details!!!

    >> This is Big Brad's 5x5. It's based on a projected max with no gear
    >> and no belt. Nick Tylutki has a similar one where he wears more gear
    >> later in the program. I have them both, as well as the Russian Front
    >> Squat program, in an excel spreadsheet. You just plug in your
    >> max/projected max.
    >>
    >> 5x5 sets are done in 20-30 minutes. 8x2 sets are done High Bar with
    >> close stance in 10-15 minutes.
    >>
    >> Week Weight Sets Percentage Gear
    >> 1 5x5 52.50% None/No Belt
    >> 2 5x5 57.50% None/No Belt
    >> 3 5x5 62.50% None/No Belt
    >> 4 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >> 5 5x5 65.00% None/No Belt
    >> 6 5x5 70.00% None/No Belt
    >> 7 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >> 8 5x5 75.00% None/No Belt
    >> 9 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >> 10 5x5 67.50% None/No Belt
    >> 11 5x5 72.50% None/No Belt
    >> 12 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >> 13 5x5 77.50% None/No Belt
    >> 14 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >> 15 3x1 Max Full Gear
    >> 16 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt

    >Is it just one 5x5 day per week for each exercise?

    Yes and this is just for squat but could be used for any number of
    exercises I would think.

  10. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    John Hanson wrote:
    > On 26 Jan 2006 04:35:38 GMT, DZ
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    > misc.fitness.weights:
    >

    >>John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>All five sets are done at the same weight. You will gain weight:)

    >>>This is Big Brad's 5x5. It's based on a projected max with no gear
    >>>and no belt. Nick Tylutki has a similar one where he wears more gear
    >>>later in the program. I have them both, as well as the Russian Front
    >>>Squat program, in an excel spreadsheet. You just plug in your
    >>>max/projected max.
    >>>
    >>>5x5 sets are done in 20-30 minutes. 8x2 sets are done High Bar with
    >>>close stance in 10-15 minutes.
    >>>
    >>>Week Weight Sets Percentage Gear
    >>>1 5x5 52.50% None/No Belt
    >>>2 5x5 57.50% None/No Belt
    >>>3 5x5 62.50% None/No Belt
    >>>4 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >>>5 5x5 65.00% None/No Belt
    >>>6 5x5 70.00% None/No Belt
    >>>7 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >>>8 5x5 75.00% None/No Belt
    >>>9 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >>>10 5x5 67.50% None/No Belt
    >>>11 5x5 72.50% None/No Belt
    >>>12 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >>>13 5x5 77.50% None/No Belt
    >>>14 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt
    >>>15 3x1 Max Full Gear
    >>>16 8x2 60.00% None/No Belt

    >>Is it just one 5x5 day per week for each exercise?

    > Yes and this is just for squat but could be used for any number of
    > exercises I would think.

    Within reason...if you're doing 7 exercises like this per day you're
    going to have to show your credit card records to your wife so she can
    see their are no hotel charges on there.

  11. David

    David Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:15:19 -0600, John Hanson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would think.

    If you could, you would.

  12. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:43:57 +0800, spodosaurus
    <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    >John Hanson wrote:
    >> On 26 Jan 2006 04:35:38 GMT, DZ
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> misc.fitness.weights:

    >>>Is it just one 5x5 day per week for each exercise?

    >> Yes and this is just for squat but could be used for any number of
    >> exercises I would think.

    >Within reason...if you're doing 7 exercises like this per day you're
    >going to have to show your credit card records to your wife so she can
    >see their are no hotel charges on there.

    I would only do 5x5 with major compound movements. Squats, bench,
    etc. I rarely do more than 4 exercises in a workout anyway. Three of
    them would be minor assistance movements like kelso shrugs for a set
    or two of 50 or DB curls for a couple of sets of ten. I'll do 5-7
    exercises following a weekend speed bench workout but they would be
    for 8-12 reps and for triceps, shoulders and upper back (kelsos) as
    well as biceps. I can finish those workouts in 30 minutes or less but
    the intensity is fairly low and one doesn't need much recovery between
    sets or movements.

    Many times I'll not do anything besides the five sets of five in the
    squat except walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes. Once you start
    going heavier later in the program, just getting the five sets in is a
    major accomplishment.