Workers in CBD going for evening rides?

Claes

Jul 5, 2004
Hi, last night I went out for en evening ride from work in the CBD. I live in Kensington/Ascot Vale, so it makes sense to me, I really have to ride down to beach road for any decent riding. Ride good bike to work in the morning, park it next to my desk on the 37th floor. After work go for spin on beach road, pass by work on way home, pick up backpack with civilian stuff.

Beautful ride. Less cars than in the morning, less cyclists than in the morning, warmer than in the morning, I got to sleep in in the morning. :) Relaxing way to end day, you sleep really well. I saw the stars in the sky, beautiful.
It actually feels safer in the evening too, I am lit like a christmas tree, and the cars leave me more space in the evening when it is dark than in the day.
Anyone else that has a similar situation? I will try to be out 2 nights a week during work. If someone wants to try it I am happy to go in a little bunch.
I only saw a total of 6 "serious" cyclists from CBD to sandringham.

Claes said:
Hi, last night I went out for en evening ride from work in the CBD. I live in Kensington/Ascot Vale, so it makes sense to me, I really have to ride down to beach road for any decent riding. Ride good bike to work in the morning, park it next to my desk on the 37th floor. After work go for spin on beach road, pass by work on way home, pick up backpack with civilian stuff.

Beautful ride. Less cars than in the morning, less cyclists than in the morning, warmer than in the morning, I got to sleep in in the morning. :) Relaxing way to end day, you sleep really well. I saw the stars in the sky, beautiful.
It actually feels safer in the evening too, I am lit like a christmas tree, and the cars leave me more space in the evening when it is dark than in the day.
Anyone else that has a similar situation? I will try to be out 2 nights a week during work. If someone wants to try it I am happy to go in a little bunch.
I only saw a total of 6 "serious" cyclists from CBD to sandringham.
Hi Claes... I might be interested some nights, depending on distance and speed. I'm also in Kensington. Have you tried going around the bay the other way (towards Altona and beyond)? It's not as pretty as Beach Road, but a decent distance without too much stopping and starting.

cheers,
Ali

alison_b said:
Hi Claes... I might be interested some nights, depending on distance and speed. I'm also in Kensington. Have you tried going around the bay the other way (towards Altona and beyond)? It's not as pretty as Beach Road, but a decent distance without too much stopping and starting.

cheers,
Ali
No, have not tried that, would get lost, need a guide, if you are comfortable
that way, good stuff. Distance, well, for weeknights we are probably talking 30-40 k, is that in line with what you want?

What is good with beach road, is that you get to sandringham with just "see me" lights, even in pitch black, so that is one advantage, you do not need really expensive and heavy bike lights. I have got both so can do both.

Cheers,
C

I sometimes have a training ride in the evenings if I'm stuck late at
work or sleep in. Beach Rd is ok at night after peak hour, although
the risk of drunks and idiots around St Kilda is pretty high as it gets
later at night on Fridays & Saturdays. It usually feels faster in the
evenings :) I don't think it's safer though, no matter how much
blinkinlights you have on the glokenspoken, someone's still likely to
be dazled by headlights, or blinded by a dirty windscreen, or drunk
after an afternoon at the boozatorium and run into you. You rides yer
bike, you takes yer chances.

Bleve said: