Worker's Safety

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Metallix6403, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Metallix6403

    Metallix6403 Guest

    Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class and
    part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin if any
    one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't its a book
    bout how the fast food industry works and part of the book
    goes into worker safety. For example it talks about workers
    who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated by knives, choke
    in chlorine gas, and work in highly dangerous enviorments
    with no safety precautions. The problem is, is that OSHA
    (the group responible for this safety matter) is a flat out
    joke and doesnt have the power to help the workers of the
    meat industry.

    The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
    think should be done to prevent injuries in this
    enviorment?" Any in put is good imput by my standards.
    Thanks alot.

    Tags:

  2. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Worker's Safety
    >From: [email protected] (Metallix6403)
    >Date: 3/11/2004 12:53 PM Pacific Standard Time

    Firstly.....this is not a place to get your schoolwork done

    Secondly....better run everything you write through spell
    check,,,because yours is pretty awful...never hand in a
    paper filled with the grammar and spelling that you
    displayed here..

    Thirdly...don't know where you got info on OSHA but it truly
    is a very powerful set of rules and regulations..surely
    accidents happen..but to state that "these meat workers have
    no protection" reveals you haven't done your homework...yet

    good luck

    also you might well be getting a very biased view if you are
    taking all your info from just one source

    hawki.....

  3. W_b

    W_b Guest

    On 11 Mar 2004 12:53:30 -0800, [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:

    >For example it talks about workers who fall into meat
    >grinders, get lacerated by knives

    Just imagine the horror of abattoir workers using knives,
    and meat grinders...

    Yikes !

    W_B

  4. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:

    >Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
    >and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin if
    >any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't its a
    >book bout how the fast food industry works and part of the
    >book goes into worker safety. For example it talks about
    >workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated by
    >knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly dangerous
    >enviorments with no safety precautions. The problem is, is
    >that OSHA (the group responible for this safety matter) is
    >a flat out joke and doesnt have the power to help the
    >workers of the meat industry.

    > The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
    > think should be done to prevent injuries in this
    > enviorment?"

    Workers should take the time to put on the protective gear,
    and READ AND FOLLOW THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS! Some of the
    injuries you read about happened because someone was taking
    a shortcut in operating some equipment. Many of the others
    ar ethe result of someone not wearing the gear because ...
    it's too hot, uncomfortable, takes too long to put on, wrong
    size, ... a million excuses.

    I've seen people who were injured by moving machinery ...
    usually because they didn't want to turn it off before
    working on it, or just did not think before reaching into
    it. One damned fool stuck his hand UNDER a pneumatic press
    to retrieve a pen he dropped, as the press was descending.
    He lost a couple of fingers (too squished to be saved)

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a
    lot like politicians invoking morality and children - grab

  5. Metallix6403

    Metallix6403 Guest

    Hey hawki,

    Look im not askin you to give me your opinion on how i
    get my work done alright. Mabey you havent read the first
    post where it says "OUTSIDE OPINIONS." And since this is
    a forum with people from around the world i think this is
    a good place to get "OUTSIDE OPINIONS." Also do you think
    im a total retard. Of course i kno the damn grammar is
    off. I could care less how it looks. Im doin this for a
    university final not for your lookin and judging. I can
    write this entire damn paper my self but the requrements
    involve others opinion. The research to get the job done
    can look like totall and utter crap but that doesnt mean
    the final draft is. O yeah, i never said that "these meat
    workers have no protection." Mabey "YOU" should get your
    damn homework done first and read the post and not what
    you THOUGHT was on the post. Also i kno that OSHA has
    rules pal and i kno what they are since im doin a report
    on it. The fact that i make OSHA look bad is to get more
    is (IF YOU EVER DID READ THE FIRST POST) "what do you
    think should be done to prevent injuries in this
    enviorment?" Also im gonna have more sources you dumbass.
    Ive been working till 2am every night for the past week
    on this thing. Ive have gotten dozens of articles,
    written 8 letters, written a 22 page paper (and still
    growing), and talked to executives over phone. So for you
    to tell me that i havent gotten mey homework done is far
    from the fact. Mabey you should have stuck to the
    question before giving your damn opinion. Oh and have a
    great day.

  6. Metallix6403

    Metallix6403 Guest

    lol rofl

    yeha that would be crazy

  7. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Worker's Safety
    >From: [email protected] (Metallix6403)
    >Date: 3/11/2004 12:53 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >The problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
    >safety matter) is a flat out joke and

    >doesnt have the power to help the workers of the meat
    >industry.

    cuse me...but the above certainly implies outright that OSHA
    not only is a joke...but has no power to help workers in the
    meat industry....

    but of which are not true...

    sorry to get your feathers all ruffled...but your
    writing,,spelling and grammar are atrocious...

    now that you admit to being a university student..I am even
    more appalled..

    if you think you can go thru life and NOT be judged by such
    as the above...you are sadly mistaken

    you approaced this group..with writing skills less than a
    7th grader....

    next time you want help...ask in proper language...and it
    might help to explain that you are NOT 10 years old...

    hawki.....

  8. Doug

    Doug Guest

    "Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
    > and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin
    > if any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't its
    > a book bout how the fast food industry works and part of
    > the book goes into worker safety. For example it talks
    > about workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated
    > by knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly
    > dangerous enviorments with no safety precautions. The
    > problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
    > safety matter) is a flat out joke and doesnt have the
    > power to help the workers of the meat industry.
    >
    > The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
    > think should be done to prevent injuries in this
    > enviorment?" Any in put is good imput by my standards.
    > Thanks alot.

    Actually, you are in luck, since this form a large part of
    my day job. The answer will be a bit longish.

    Firstly, some history. Attitudes often change slowly, and in
    industry it has long been accepted that jobs are dangerous
    and there is an ever present risk of injury. Most workers in
    industry accepted that it was only luck that stopped them
    leaving work in an ambulance. Why was this? Well, it always
    had been dangerous and everyone just accepted that that was
    how it was. Enter the pioneer 'Du Pont' corperation. This
    company, which I believe is American based, is in the
    chemical industry. Originally, it began in the explosives
    industry, one which you would probably agree is one of the
    least safe of all. For some reason, and I don't know what
    sparked it, the people running the company decided that the
    risks involved were un-acceptable and that there should be
    no reason that there should be any acciedents or hazards at
    all. They came up with a theory that the root cause of all
    accedents and un-safe working conditions was personal
    behaviour. Some examples: Employee behaviour, reaching into
    a running machine to clear a blockage, or not cleaning up
    leaking oil. Management behaviour, not training employees
    correctly, pushing production over safety, etc They started
    a system of audits, where by un-safe behaviours are logged
    and corrected. Everyone has to do these audits from the
    general manager to the contract cleaners. Management pushes
    this system hard, and also accepts audits critical of itself
    from the shop floor. Du Pont currently has one of the best
    safety records of any company anywhere in the world, and
    many other companies are attempting to emulate it. Including
    some Australian companies that I have worked for.

    Each company though, is at a different level from
    considering the importance of safety. Some are advanced like
    Du pont, some are getting there, like my current employer,
    and some consider it an annoyance. A lot of it is attitude.

    As to correcting this problem, education is the key.

    One other point, as my current employer's safety record
    improved, its profitability went up. Some thought we would
    waste money stopping production to allow jobs to be done
    safely, but it actually increased production and lowered
    costs. The reasons were: 1, Less accidents and our insurance
    premiums went down. 2, Each accident had bad effects on the
    rest of the work force. Watching one of your friends being
    carted off to hospital, then having to clean the blood off
    the machine, this has a bad psycological effect on the
    people working there. It often took days or longer before
    production was back up. (It certainly gave me the shakes for
    a while after assisting at an accident) 3, If a worker is
    off work due to injury, he is not earning the company any
    money. It takes months, and sometimes years, to train good
    workers and you cannot just hire them off the street no
    matter what some idiots say.

    Once companies realise this, then it will be easier to
    improve safety.

    --
    "The emperor is naked!"
    "No he isn't, he's merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"

    to email me
    Please remove "all your clothes"

    Doug

  9. Doug

    Doug Guest

    "Tsu Dho Nimh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:
    >
    > >Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
    > >and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin
    > >if any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't
    > >its a book bout how the fast food industry works and part
    > >of the book goes into worker safety. For example it talks
    > >about workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated
    > >by knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly
    > >dangerous enviorments with no safety precautions. The
    > >problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
    > >safety matter) is a flat out joke and doesnt have the
    > >power to help the workers of the meat industry.
    >
    > > The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
    > > think should be done to prevent injuries in this
    > > enviorment?"
    >
    > Workers should take the time to put on the protective
    > gear, and READ AND FOLLOW THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS! Some
    > of the injuries you read about happened because someone
    > was taking a shortcut in operating some equipment. Many of
    > the others ar ethe result of someone not wearing the gear
    > because ... it's too hot, uncomfortable, takes too long to
    > put on, wrong size, ... a million excuses.
    >
    > I've seen people who were injured by moving machinery ...
    > usually because they didn't want to turn it off before
    > working on it, or just did not think before reaching into
    > it. One damned fool stuck his hand UNDER a pneumatic press
    > to retrieve a pen he dropped, as the press was descending.
    > He lost a couple of fingers (too squished to be saved)
    >
    > Tsu Dho Nimh

    True, most injuries I've seen or seen reported were due to
    people taking short cuts. Usually because they were trying
    to do the right thing and save the company money. My company
    has spent a lot of time and effort to educate the work force
    that getting injured does not save the company money. Just
    to re-enforce this, we are also fencing off and guarding our
    machines so you can't reach in while its operating.

    --
    "The emperor is naked!"
    "No he isn't, he's merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"

    to email me
    Please remove "all your clothes"

    Doug

  10. Doug

    Doug Guest

    "Tsu Dho Nimh" <tsudho[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:
    >
    > >Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
    > >and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin
    > >if any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't
    > >its a book bout how the fast food industry works and part
    > >of the book goes into worker safety. For example it talks
    > >about workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated
    > >by knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly
    > >dangerous enviorments with no safety precautions. The
    > >problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
    > >safety matter) is a flat out joke and doesnt have the
    > >power to help the workers of the meat industry.
    >
    > > The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
    > > think should be done to prevent injuries in this
    > > enviorment?"
    >
    > Workers should take the time to put on the protective
    > gear, and READ AND FOLLOW THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS! Some
    > of the injuries you read about happened because someone
    > was taking a shortcut in operating some equipment. Many of
    > the others ar ethe result of someone not wearing the gear
    > because ... it's too hot, uncomfortable, takes too long to
    > put on, wrong size, ... a million excuses.
    >
    > I've seen people who were injured by moving machinery ...
    > usually because they didn't want to turn it off before
    > working on it, or just did not think before reaching into
    > it. One damned fool stuck his hand UNDER a pneumatic press
    > to retrieve a pen he dropped, as the press was descending.
    > He lost a couple of fingers (too squished to be saved)
    >
    > Tsu Dho Nimh

    True, most injuries I've seen or seen reported were due to
    people taking short cuts. Usually because they were trying
    to do the right thing and save the company money. My company
    has spent a lot of time and effort to educate the work force
    that getting injured does not save the company money. Just
    to re-enforce this, we are also fencing off and guarding our
    machines so you can't reach in while its operating.

    --
    "The emperor is naked!"
    "No he isn't, he's merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"

    to email me
    Please remove "all your clothes"

    Doug

  11. I worked in the chemical industry for 20 years.

    In chemical plants, safety was a primary consideration.

    I have worked aroung hydrogen cyanide, chlorine.

    I have found every company to go further than was required
    to ensure the safety of their workers.

    OHSA does work. I have seen the changes before and after.

    J.

    I admit that before OHSA, worker safety may have not been
    the highest priority.

    Doug wrote:
> [...]
    > bad effects on the rest of the work force. Watching one
    > of your friends being carted off to hospital, then
    > having to clean the blood off the machine, this has a
    > bad psycological effect on the people working there. It
    > often took days or longer before production was back up.
    > (It certainly gave me the shakes for a while after
    > assisting at an accident) 3, If a worker is off work due
    > to injury, he is not earning the company any money. It
    > takes months, and sometimes years, to train good workers
    > and you cannot just hire them off the street no matter
    > what some idiots say.
    >
    > Once companies realise this, then it will be easier to
    > improve safety.
    >

    > --
    > "The emperor is naked!" "No he isn't, he's merely
    > endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"
    >
    > to email me Please remove "all your clothes"

  12. Metallix6403

    Metallix6403 Guest

    Wow, Thank you so much Doug. That was a big help. Im a big
    fan of the racing world so i hear about DuPont alot but i
    never knew they were on of the pioneers of saftey; very
    interesting. Also thank you for bringing up the fact that
    education is a big issue. I had a feeling that it was a main
    reason for these injuries, i just needed someone to
    reinforce that. Again thank you very much for your time and
    excellent post.

  13. Metallix6403

    Metallix6403 Guest

    Damn, Apparently you dont like to read hawki. You first dont
    even answer the plain and simple question and then you dont
    even see my reasoning behind the fact that i said that, so
    ill say it again. I OSHA was worthless was to get more
    called incentive. Most people dont know what OSHA is so they
    would then go on to answer the question thinking that OSHA
    is no help thereby giving more origional solutions. For
    those that do know about OSHA i was expecting them to
    comment on this. BUT, i was also expecting them to actually
    answer the question following thier comment.

    As for you, you continue to bitch, moan, and complain
    about the way my grammar looks. Also, who are you to judge
    me? Tell me, are you makin a six figure income because of
    that wonderful grammar. Cause if you were, i think you
    would have much better things to do than judge my grammar
    on a forum. For cryin out loud i told you before, this
    forum isnt my essay and it isnt the final draft if it was
    the essay.

    And geeee, if my grammar is so horrible, how come everyone
    understood the question except for you???? Hmmm, thats a
    mystery...

    How bout you go back to your perfect life of excellent
    grammar meaningless judgement some where else. And if you
    want to come back here and cry a little more how bout
    answerin the question while your at it.

  14. Gymmy Bob

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    He can't spell "grammar" either.

    "Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Damn, Apparently you dont like to read hawki. You first
    > dont even answer the plain and simple question and then
    > you dont even see my reasoning behind the fact that i said
    > that, so ill say it again. I OSHA was worthless was to get
    > more responses out of other people for the real question.
    > Its called incentive. Most people dont know what OSHA is
    > so they would then go on to answer the question thinking
    > that OSHA is no help thereby giving more origional
    > solutions. For those that do know about OSHA i was
    > expecting them to comment on this. BUT, i was also
    > expecting them to actually answer the question following
    > thier comment.
    >
    > As for you, you continue to bitch, moan, and complain
    > about the way my grammar looks. Also, who are you to
    > judge me? Tell me, are you makin a six figure income
    > because of that wonderful grammar. Cause if you were, i
    > think you would have much better things to do than judge
    > my grammar on a forum. For cryin out loud i told you
    > before, this forum isnt my essay and it isnt the final
    > draft if it was the essay.
    >
    > And geeee, if my grammar is so horrible, how come
    > everyone understood the question except for you????
    > Hmmm, thats a mystery...
    >
    > How bout you go back to your perfect life of excellent
    > grammar meaningless judgement some where else. And if
    > you want to come back here and cry a little more how
    > bout answerin the question while your at it.

  15. Metallix6403

    Metallix6403 Guest

    Hey Gimbob or whatever,

    I obviously can spell grammar since there are no
    mispellings. If you got nothin to say then back off...

  16. Gymmy Bob

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    Hey dodo. Did you ever take grammar or logic in preschool?

    When I respond to your post and use the word "he" it
    should mean something to you. You have to be more
    observant of who is addressing who in these groups. The
    person attacking your posted request was attacking your
    style and spelled "grammar" wrong not you. It was very
    funny and ironic. I laughed.

    Relax and, been there, done this too. At ease soldier.

    Best of luck with your project.

    "Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey Gimbob or whatever,
    >
    > I obviously can spell grammar since there are no
    > mispellings. If you got nothin to say then back off...

  17. Gymmy Bob

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    Take it easy buddy. I cannot see who you are complaining
    about because I have the bozos on killfilter. I suggest you
    do the same. There is many good people her once you block
    out the garbage people almost everyday. You will get to know
    the names and get quicker with them. They have to avoid
    killfilters because they only talk to themselves. You suffer
    from a hook in your mouth. Take it out and get on with it.

    Welcome

    "Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As amatte of fact pal. I got all the info i need from the
    > other posts i got. I dont have time to deal with more of
    > your complaining. So ill be headin off now. How bout you
    > find some fagget to shove some big blunt object up your
    > ass. I only hope we meet in life so i can teach you
    > somethin about life.

  18. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Worker's Safety
    >From: [email protected] (Hawki63)
    >Date: 3/11/2004 1:05 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >>Subject: Worker's Safety

    >.never hand in a paper filled with the grammar and spelling
    >that you displayed here..

    grammar is spelled correctly here,,,,

    Gymmy bob said it was not...sorry

    hawki.....

  19. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Worker's Safety
    >From: [email protected] (Hawki63)
    >Date: 3/11/2004 9:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >.but your writing,,spelling and grammar are atrocious...

    GRAMMAR is spelled correctly,,Gymmy Bob hawki.....

  20. Michele

    Michele Guest

    [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Wow, Thank you so much Doug. That was a big help. Im a big
    > fan of the racing world so i hear about DuPont alot but i
    > never knew they were on of the pioneers of saftey; very
    > interesting. Also thank you for bringing up the fact that
    > education is a big issue. I had a feeling that it was a
    > main reason for these injuries, i just needed someone to
    > reinforce that. Again thank you very much for your time
    > and excellent post.

    A postscript to Doug's information: I live near the Hagley
    Museum which was the site where the DuPonts began
    manufacturing their gunpowder in the early 19th century.
    [Absolutely beautiful place to explore on a tour or just
    rambling around the grounds.] There were the buildings &
    equipment used to make the product, the houses of the
    workers -- as well as the DuPont residence. In addition to
    allowing DuPont to oversee operations it no doubt helped to
    make the place safer, since he lived there too. The
    processing buildings were deliberately constructed for the
    explosions that were inevitable in that industry at the time
    -- they had 1 wall facing the creek (the one away from the
    houses) made of wood & the other 3 constructed of stone so
    that the explosion would blow out the wooden wall. [It even
    became a euphemism for dying when the workers talked about a
    fellow co-worker having "gone across the creek".] Workers
    had the metal nails in their shoes (capable of creating a
    spark that could blow them all sky high) replaced with
    wooden pegs. Throughout the many years they manufactured
    gunpowder & other explosive products there, they continued
    to make improvements WRT workers' safety. Even then,
    explosions (averaging one every 14 months) still took lives.

    Ironically enough, more than one of the DuPont descendants
    died in work related blasts.