Worker's Safety

Metallix6403

Guest
Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class and
part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin if any
one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't its a book
bout how the fast food industry works and part of the book
goes into worker safety. For example it talks about workers
who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated by knives, choke
in chlorine gas, and work in highly dangerous enviorments
with no safety precautions. The problem is, is that OSHA
(the group responible for this safety matter) is a flat out
joke and doesnt have the power to help the workers of the
meat industry.

The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
think should be done to prevent injuries in this
enviorment?" Any in put is good imput by my standards.
Thanks alot.

>Subject: Worker's Safety
>From: [email protected] (Metallix6403)
>Date: 3/11/2004 12:53 PM Pacific Standard Time

Firstly.....this is not a place to get your schoolwork done

Secondly....better run everything you write through spell
check,,,because yours is pretty awful...never hand in a
paper filled with the grammar and spelling that you
displayed here..

Thirdly...don't know where you got info on OSHA but it truly
is a very powerful set of rules and regulations..surely
accidents happen..but to state that "these meat workers have
no protection" reveals you haven't done your homework...yet

good luck

also you might well be getting a very biased view if you are
taking all your info from just one source

hawki.....

On 11 Mar 2004 12:53:30 -0800, [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:

>For example it talks about workers who fall into meat
>grinders, get lacerated by knives

Just imagine the horror of abattoir workers using knives,
and meat grinders...

Yikes !

W_B

[email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:

>Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
>and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin if
>any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't its a
>book bout how the fast food industry works and part of the
>book goes into worker safety. For example it talks about
>workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated by
>knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly dangerous
>enviorments with no safety precautions. The problem is, is
>that OSHA (the group responible for this safety matter) is
>a flat out joke and doesnt have the power to help the
>workers of the meat industry.

> The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
> think should be done to prevent injuries in this
> enviorment?"

Workers should take the time to put on the protective gear,
and READ AND FOLLOW THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS! Some of the
injuries you read about happened because someone was taking
a shortcut in operating some equipment. Many of the others
ar ethe result of someone not wearing the gear because ...
it's too hot, uncomfortable, takes too long to put on, wrong
size, ... a million excuses.

I've seen people who were injured by moving machinery ...
usually because they didn't want to turn it off before
working on it, or just did not think before reaching into
it. One damned fool stuck his hand UNDER a pneumatic press
to retrieve a pen he dropped, as the press was descending.
He lost a couple of fingers (too squished to be saved)

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a
lot like politicians invoking morality and children - grab

Hey hawki,

Look im not askin you to give me your opinion on how i
get my work done alright. Mabey you havent read the first
post where it says "OUTSIDE OPINIONS." And since this is
a forum with people from around the world i think this is
a good place to get "OUTSIDE OPINIONS." Also do you think
im a total retard. Of course i kno the damn grammar is
off. I could care less how it looks. Im doin this for a
university final not for your lookin and judging. I can
write this entire damn paper my self but the requrements
involve others opinion. The research to get the job done
can look like totall and utter **** but that doesnt mean
the final draft is. O yeah, i never said that "these meat
workers have no protection." Mabey "YOU" should get your
damn homework done first and read the post and not what
you THOUGHT was on the post. Also i kno that OSHA has
rules pal and i kno what they are since im doin a report
on it. The fact that i make OSHA look bad is to get more
is (IF YOU EVER DID READ THE FIRST POST) "what do you
think should be done to prevent injuries in this
enviorment?" Also im gonna have more sources you dumbass.
Ive been working till 2am every night for the past week
on this thing. Ive have gotten dozens of articles,
written 8 letters, written a 22 page paper (and still
growing), and talked to executives over phone. So for you
to tell me that i havent gotten mey homework done is far
from the fact. Mabey you should have stuck to the
question before giving your damn opinion. Oh and have a
great day.

>Subject: Worker's Safety
>From: [email protected] (Metallix6403)
>Date: 3/11/2004 12:53 PM Pacific Standard Time
>

>The problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
>safety matter) is a flat out joke and

>doesnt have the power to help the workers of the meat
>industry.

cuse me...but the above certainly implies outright that OSHA
not only is a joke...but has no power to help workers in the
meat industry....

but of which are not true...

sorry to get your feathers all ruffled...but your
writing,,spelling and grammar are atrocious...

now that you admit to being a university student..I am even
more appalled..

if you think you can go thru life and NOT be judged by such
as the above...you are sadly mistaken

you approaced this group..with writing skills less than a
7th grader....

next time you want help...ask in proper language...and it
might help to explain that you are NOT 10 years old...

hawki.....

"Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
> and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin
> if any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't its
> a book bout how the fast food industry works and part of
> the book goes into worker safety. For example it talks
> about workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated
> by knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly
> dangerous enviorments with no safety precautions. The
> problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
> safety matter) is a flat out joke and doesnt have the
> power to help the workers of the meat industry.
>
> The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
> think should be done to prevent injuries in this
> enviorment?" Any in put is good imput by my standards.
> Thanks alot.

Actually, you are in luck, since this form a large part of
my day job. The answer will be a bit longish.

Firstly, some history. Attitudes often change slowly, and in
industry it has long been accepted that jobs are dangerous
and there is an ever present risk of injury. Most workers in
industry accepted that it was only luck that stopped them
leaving work in an ambulance. Why was this? Well, it always
had been dangerous and everyone just accepted that that was
how it was. Enter the pioneer 'Du Pont' corperation. This
company, which I believe is American based, is in the
chemical industry. Originally, it began in the explosives
industry, one which you would probably agree is one of the
least safe of all. For some reason, and I don't know what
sparked it, the people running the company decided that the
risks involved were un-acceptable and that there should be
no reason that there should be any acciedents or hazards at
all. They came up with a theory that the root cause of all
accedents and un-safe working conditions was personal
behaviour. Some examples: Employee behaviour, reaching into
a running machine to clear a blockage, or not cleaning up
leaking oil. Management behaviour, not training employees
correctly, pushing production over safety, etc They started
a system of audits, where by un-safe behaviours are logged
and corrected. Everyone has to do these audits from the
general manager to the contract cleaners. Management pushes
this system hard, and also accepts audits critical of itself
from the shop floor. Du Pont currently has one of the best
safety records of any company anywhere in the world, and
many other companies are attempting to emulate it. Including
some Australian companies that I have worked for.

Each company though, is at a different level from
considering the importance of safety. Some are advanced like
Du pont, some are getting there, like my current employer,
and some consider it an annoyance. A lot of it is attitude.

As to correcting this problem, education is the key.

One other point, as my current employer's safety record
improved, its profitability went up. Some thought we would
waste money stopping production to allow jobs to be done
safely, but it actually increased production and lowered
costs. The reasons were: 1, Less accidents and our insurance
premiums went down. 2, Each accident had bad effects on the
rest of the work force. Watching one of your friends being
carted off to hospital, then having to clean the blood off
the machine, this has a bad psycological effect on the
people working there. It often took days or longer before
production was back up. (It certainly gave me the shakes for
a while after assisting at an accident) 3, If a worker is
off work due to injury, he is not earning the company any
money. It takes months, and sometimes years, to train good
workers and you cannot just hire them off the street no
matter what some idiots say.

Once companies realise this, then it will be easier to
improve safety.

--
"The emperor is naked!"
"No he isn't, he's merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"

to email me
Please remove "all your clothes"

Doug

"Tsu Dho Nimh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:
>
> >Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
> >and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin
> >if any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't
> >its a book bout how the fast food industry works and part
> >of the book goes into worker safety. For example it talks
> >about workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated
> >by knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly
> >dangerous enviorments with no safety precautions. The
> >problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
> >safety matter) is a flat out joke and doesnt have the
> >power to help the workers of the meat industry.
>
> > The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
> > think should be done to prevent injuries in this
> > enviorment?"
>
> Workers should take the time to put on the protective
> gear, and READ AND FOLLOW THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS! Some
> of the injuries you read about happened because someone
> was taking a shortcut in operating some equipment. Many of
> the others ar ethe result of someone not wearing the gear
> because ... it's too hot, uncomfortable, takes too long to
> put on, wrong size, ... a million excuses.
>
> I've seen people who were injured by moving machinery ...
> usually because they didn't want to turn it off before
> working on it, or just did not think before reaching into
> it. One damned fool stuck his hand UNDER a pneumatic press
> to retrieve a pen he dropped, as the press was descending.
> He lost a couple of fingers (too squished to be saved)
>
> Tsu Dho Nimh

True, most injuries I've seen or seen reported were due to
people taking short cuts. Usually because they were trying
to do the right thing and save the company money. My company
has spent a lot of time and effort to educate the work force
that getting injured does not save the company money. Just
to re-enforce this, we are also fencing off and guarding our
machines so you can't reach in while its operating.

--
"The emperor is naked!"
"No he isn't, he's merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"

to email me
Please remove "all your clothes"

Doug

"Tsu Dho Nimh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote:
>
> >Sup everyone, I got a final project for my english class
> >and part of it involves outside opinions. I was wonderin
> >if any one has read "Fast Food Nation." If you haven't
> >its a book bout how the fast food industry works and part
> >of the book goes into worker safety. For example it talks
> >about workers who fall into meat grinders, get lacerated
> >by knives, choke in chlorine gas, and work in highly
> >dangerous enviorments with no safety precautions. The
> >problem is, is that OSHA (the group responible for this
> >safety matter) is a flat out joke and doesnt have the
> >power to help the workers of the meat industry.
>
> > The question i got for you guys is that, "what do you
> > think should be done to prevent injuries in this
> > enviorment?"
>
> Workers should take the time to put on the protective
> gear, and READ AND FOLLOW THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS! Some
> of the injuries you read about happened because someone
> was taking a shortcut in operating some equipment. Many of
> the others ar ethe result of someone not wearing the gear
> because ... it's too hot, uncomfortable, takes too long to
> put on, wrong size, ... a million excuses.
>
> I've seen people who were injured by moving machinery ...
> usually because they didn't want to turn it off before
> working on it, or just did not think before reaching into
> it. One damned fool stuck his hand UNDER a pneumatic press
> to retrieve a pen he dropped, as the press was descending.
> He lost a couple of fingers (too squished to be saved)
>
> Tsu Dho Nimh

True, most injuries I've seen or seen reported were due to
people taking short cuts. Usually because they were trying
to do the right thing and save the company money. My company
has spent a lot of time and effort to educate the work force
that getting injured does not save the company money. Just
to re-enforce this, we are also fencing off and guarding our
machines so you can't reach in while its operating.

--
"The emperor is naked!"
"No he isn't, he's merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"

to email me
Please remove "all your clothes"

Doug

I worked in the chemical industry for 20 years.

In chemical plants, safety was a primary consideration.

I have worked aroung hydrogen cyanide, chlorine.

I have found every company to go further than was required
to ensure the safety of their workers.

OHSA does work. I have seen the changes before and after.

J.

I admit that before OHSA, worker safety may have not been
the highest priority.

Doug wrote:
> [...]
> bad effects on the rest of the work force. Watching one
> of your friends being carted off to hospital, then
> having to clean the blood off the machine, this has a
> bad psycological effect on the people working there. It
> often took days or longer before production was back up.
> (It certainly gave me the shakes for a while after
> assisting at an accident) 3, If a worker is off work due
> to injury, he is not earning the company any money. It
> takes months, and sometimes years, to train good workers
> and you cannot just hire them off the street no matter
> what some idiots say.
>
> Once companies realise this, then it will be easier to
> improve safety.
>

> --
> "The emperor is naked!" "No he isn't, he's merely
> endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"
>
> to email me Please remove "all your clothes"

Wow, Thank you so much Doug. That was a big help. Im a big
fan of the racing world so i hear about DuPont alot but i
never knew they were on of the pioneers of saftey; very
interesting. Also thank you for bringing up the fact that
education is a big issue. I had a feeling that it was a main
reason for these injuries, i just needed someone to
reinforce that. Again thank you very much for your time and
excellent post.

Damn, Apparently you dont like to read hawki. You first dont
even answer the plain and simple question and then you dont
even see my reasoning behind the fact that i said that, so
ill say it again. I OSHA was worthless was to get more
called incentive. Most people dont know what OSHA is so they
would then go on to answer the question thinking that OSHA
is no help thereby giving more origional solutions. For
those that do know about OSHA i was expecting them to
comment on this. BUT, i was also expecting them to actually
answer the question following thier comment.

As for you, you continue to *****, moan, and complain
about the way my grammar looks. Also, who are you to judge
me? Tell me, are you makin a six figure income because of
that wonderful grammar. Cause if you were, i think you
would have much better things to do than judge my grammar
on a forum. For cryin out loud i told you before, this
forum isnt my essay and it isnt the final draft if it was
the essay.

And geeee, if my grammar is so horrible, how come everyone
understood the question except for you???? Hmmm, thats a
mystery...

How bout you go back to your perfect life of excellent
grammar meaningless judgement some where else. And if you
want to come back here and cry a little more how bout
answerin the question while your at it.

He can't spell "grammar" either.

"Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
> Damn, Apparently you dont like to read hawki. You first
> dont even answer the plain and simple question and then
> you dont even see my reasoning behind the fact that i said
> that, so ill say it again. I OSHA was worthless was to get
> more responses out of other people for the real question.
> Its called incentive. Most people dont know what OSHA is
> so they would then go on to answer the question thinking
> that OSHA is no help thereby giving more origional
> solutions. For those that do know about OSHA i was
> expecting them to comment on this. BUT, i was also
> expecting them to actually answer the question following
> thier comment.
>
> As for you, you continue to *****, moan, and complain
> about the way my grammar looks. Also, who are you to
> judge me? Tell me, are you makin a six figure income
> because of that wonderful grammar. Cause if you were, i
> think you would have much better things to do than judge
> my grammar on a forum. For cryin out loud i told you
> before, this forum isnt my essay and it isnt the final
> draft if it was the essay.
>
> And geeee, if my grammar is so horrible, how come
> everyone understood the question except for you????
> Hmmm, thats a mystery...
>
> How bout you go back to your perfect life of excellent
> grammar meaningless judgement some where else. And if
> you want to come back here and cry a little more how
> bout answerin the question while your at it.

Hey Gimbob or whatever,

I obviously can spell grammar since there are no
mispellings. If you got nothin to say then back off...

Hey dodo. Did you ever take grammar or logic in preschool?

When I respond to your post and use the word "he" it
should mean something to you. You have to be more
observant of who is addressing who in these groups. The
person attacking your posted request was attacking your
style and spelled "grammar" wrong not you. It was very
funny and ironic. I laughed.

Relax and, been there, done this too. At ease soldier.

Best of luck with your project.

"Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey Gimbob or whatever,
>
> I obviously can spell grammar since there are no
> mispellings. If you got nothin to say then back off...

Take it easy buddy. I cannot see who you are complaining
about because I have the bozos on killfilter. I suggest you
do the same. There is many good people her once you block
out the garbage people almost everyday. You will get to know
the names and get quicker with them. They have to avoid
killfilters because they only talk to themselves. You suffer
from a hook in your mouth. Take it out and get on with it.

Welcome

"Metallix6403" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
news:[email protected]...
> As amatte of fact pal. I got all the info i need from the
> other posts i got. I dont have time to deal with more of
> your complaining. So ill be headin off now. How bout you
> find some fagget to shove some big blunt object up your
> ass. I only hope we meet in life so i can teach you
> somethin about life.

>Subject: Re: Worker's Safety
>From: [email protected] (Hawki63)
>Date: 3/11/2004 1:05 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>>Subject: Worker's Safety

>.never hand in a paper filled with the grammar and spelling
>that you displayed here..

grammar is spelled correctly here,,,,

Gymmy bob said it was not...sorry

hawki.....

>Subject: Re: Worker's Safety
>From: [email protected] (Hawki63)
>Date: 3/11/2004 9:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
>

>.but your writing,,spelling and grammar are atrocious...

GRAMMAR is spelled correctly,,Gymmy Bob hawki.....

[email protected] (Metallix6403) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Wow, Thank you so much Doug. That was a big help. Im a big
> fan of the racing world so i hear about DuPont alot but i
> never knew they were on of the pioneers of saftey; very
> interesting. Also thank you for bringing up the fact that
> education is a big issue. I had a feeling that it was a
> main reason for these injuries, i just needed someone to
> reinforce that. Again thank you very much for your time
> and excellent post.

A postscript to Doug's information: I live near the Hagley
Museum which was the site where the DuPonts began
manufacturing their gunpowder in the early 19th century.
[Absolutely beautiful place to explore on a tour or just
rambling around the grounds.] There were the buildings &
equipment used to make the product, the houses of the
workers -- as well as the DuPont residence. In addition to
allowing DuPont to oversee operations it no doubt helped to
make the place safer, since he lived there too. The
processing buildings were deliberately constructed for the
explosions that were inevitable in that industry at the time
-- they had 1 wall facing the creek (the one away from the
houses) made of wood & the other 3 constructed of stone so
that the explosion would blow out the wooden wall. [It even
became a euphemism for dying when the workers talked about a
fellow co-worker having "gone across the creek".] Workers
had the metal nails in their shoes (capable of creating a
spark that could blow them all sky high) replaced with
wooden pegs. Throughout the many years they manufactured
gunpowder & other explosive products there, they continued
to make improvements WRT workers' safety. Even then,
explosions (averaging one every 14 months) still took lives.

Ironically enough, more than one of the DuPont descendants
died in work related blasts.