Working with anything carbon fiber

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tanggoman, Aug 16, 2004.

1. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

Does anyone know any books or web sites, that deals with working with anything carbon fiber? I'm upgrading my current bike to a c/f frame and I was thinking of doing it myself. Any advice and tips are appreciated! Thanks! :)

Tags:

2. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

CF is expensive because it's so difficult to work with. You have to make a mold of the item you wish to create, which makes only high-volume manufacturers (relatively high volume for CF) the people to get it from. We've done a few projects for cars, but it's tough to break even.

3. dgow

dgow New Member

4. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I can't find it anywhere, but someone posted a link (I think it was here... maybe not) to a journal documenting their home-building process for a very capable-looking CF frame.

Ok, wait, I'm remembering now. Maybe it wasn't cyclingforums.com, but it was a cool article... the guy built a BP-Stealth style track/tri frame, all in his garage. Seemed quite expensive and laborious; it required lots of equipment, tools, time, prototypes, etc, etc.

Me, I wouldn't build a wheel, let alone mold a carbon frame.

5. buffedupboy

buffedupboy New Member

I'm working on a very similar project. Started out with some integrated bars and moving on to a full frame. May do a wheel someday but not soon. ANyways, e-mail me and we should be able to share some resources.

6. dhk

dhk New Member

One of the riders here built his own CF frame from a Deda "Black Tail" kit. His first frame project was a torch-brazed lugged steel. He said that this CF kit was a faster build, and the easiest way to build your own frame at home. The tubes are epoxy bonded to the CF head, seat and bottom brackets.

The bike looks great with just a clear lacquer over the carbon tubes....very close to the expensive Kestrel Evoke.