Working with bladed spokes...

Jim Higson

Guest
I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
quite a few times before.

I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?

Thanks for any help,
Jim

On Aug 28, 7:37 am, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
> quite a few times before.
>
> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

Anything tat will stop the spoke from twusting will work. best is
"twist Resist'..a;so the most expensive option.

http://online.qbp.com/cgi-bin/qbp.com/sid.htm?sid=236017178030355307176715070&prg=start

> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
> one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
> swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?

These are unique in that they have flattened spots at the base plus
come with nipps/washers..etcv. I have subbed a more normal straight
pull oval spoke but the original are the best.

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:37:07 +0100, Jim Higson wrote:

> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

That's how I did it, until someone gave me Mavic's gadget :)

Jim Higson wrote:
> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
> quite a few times before.
>
> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?
>
> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
> one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
> swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

I watched a guy at the LBS true up my riding buddy's HED Bastogne wheels
last Saturday. He had a circular piece of plastic with grooves molded
into it (perhaps three or four thicknesses of grooves), which he used to
hold the spoke's bladed portion while he loosened / tightened the spoke.

I don't know what it is called, or where to get one, but I'll try to
remember to ask.

Michael Warner wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:37:07 +0100, Jim Higson wrote:
>
>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
>> turning. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a
>> bit of wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

> That's how I did it, until someone gave me Mavic's gadget :)

Did it work reasonably well?

On Aug 28, 8:37 am, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
> quite a few times before.
>
> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like?

A lot like a Craftsman crescent wrench.

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:24:36 -0700, Colin Campbell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jim Higson wrote:
>> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
>> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
>> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
>> quite a few times before.
>>
>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
>> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
>> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?
>>
>> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
>> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
>> one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
>> swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Jim

>I watched a guy at the LBS true up my riding buddy's HED Bastogne wheels
>last Saturday. He had a circular piece of plastic with grooves molded
>into it (perhaps three or four thicknesses of grooves), which he used to
>hold the spoke's bladed portion while he loosened / tightened the spoke.
>
>I don't know what it is called, or where to get one, but I'll try to
>remember to ask.

Dear Colin,

This may be the tool:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...Wheel and Rim&tc=Spoke Holders&item_id=SA-BSK

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:24:36 -0700, Colin Campbell
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Jim Higson wrote:
>>> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with
>>> a bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do
>>> it, but I like to fix these things myself and have trued more
>>> traditional wheels quite a few times before.
>>>
>>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
>>> turning. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in
>>> a bit of wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?
>>>
>>> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these
>>> wheels, but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In
>>> case I break one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual
>>> makes brands (DT swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these
>>> wheels?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>> Jim

>>I watched a guy at the LBS true up my riding buddy's HED Bastogne wheels
>>last Saturday. He had a circular piece of plastic with grooves molded
>>into it (perhaps three or four thicknesses of grooves), which he used to
>>hold the spoke's bladed portion while he loosened / tightened the spoke.
>>
>>I don't know what it is called, or where to get one, but I'll try to
>>remember to ask.

> Dear Colin,
>
> This may be the tool:

http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...Wheel and Rim&tc=Spoke Holders&item_id=SA-BSK

Looks handly.

Normal story of not being able to find a similar tool here in the UK for
less than double the price you'd pay in the US.

There is this:

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/products/details.aspx?ref=14251&pRef=81012&vertical=1&v=

but £16 is a bit rich for my blood when the "bit of wood/pastic cut with a
hacksaw" way will probably do the same job. Oh well.

Thanks for the link,
Jim

In article <[email protected]>, Jim Higson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
> quite a few times before.
>
> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

For the occasional truing an adjustable wrench, albeit unwieldy, works
fine.

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:

> On Aug 28, 7:37 am, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with
>> a bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it,
>> but I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional
>> wheels quite a few times before.
>>
>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
>> turning. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a
>> bit of wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

> Anything tat will stop the spoke from twusting will work. best is
> "twist Resist'..a;so the most expensive option.

http://online.qbp.com/cgi-bin/qbp.com/sid.htm?sid=236017178030355307176715070&prg=start

That link doesn't work here - I think the sid variable is to do with your
session. In any case, I'll probably not get expensive tools that I only
need to use a few times a year at most.

>> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these
>> wheels, but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In
>> case I break one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes
>> brands (DT swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?

> These are unique in that they have flattened spots at the base plus
> come with nipps/washers..etcv. I have subbed a more normal straight
> pull oval spoke but the original are the best.

Useful to know. Probably I'll get round to buying a mini set of spares once
I've finished the job of truing them up.

By the way, am I right in thinking a normal 5mm nutdriver like this:

http://www.teng.co.uk/product-details.asp?prod_id=2910

Is all you need to turn the nipples? I have one here, but I can't test
without taking the tyre off and they're Veloflexes so they're so tight I
don't take them off unless I really have to :)

Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:

> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

Should be fine. The Sapim tool for this is just a piece of plastic with
a small slot for the bladed spoke.

> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
> one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
> swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?

I don't think so. My 2005 model Eurus wheels have the same kind of
spokes, and they look exactly like black Sapim CX-Ray spokes, except that
they don't have the Sapim logo or the bend. The only source is Campagnolo.

Antti

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:24:03 +0100, Jim Higson wrote:

> Did it work reasonably well?

Yes, well enough for a bit of trueing, even though it was only pine. I
imagine a harder wood or thick piece of PVC would be better, though.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:24:36 -0700, Colin Campbell
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Jim Higson wrote:
>>> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
>>> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
>>> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
>>> quite a few times before.
>>>
>>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
>>> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
>>> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?
>>>
>>> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
>>> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
>>> one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
>>> swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>> Jim

>> I watched a guy at the LBS true up my riding buddy's HED Bastogne wheels
>> last Saturday. He had a circular piece of plastic with grooves molded
>> into it (perhaps three or four thicknesses of grooves), which he used to
>> hold the spoke's bladed portion while he loosened / tightened the spoke.
>>
>> I don't know what it is called, or where to get one, but I'll try to
>> remember to ask.

> Dear Colin,
>
> This may be the tool:
>
> http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...Wheel and Rim&tc=Spoke Holders&item_id=SA-BSK
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Looks similar, Carl, though the one I saw was black plastic.

Jim Higson wrote:
> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
> quite a few times before.
>
> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?
>
> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
> one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
> swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?

A 90mm adjustable wrench works well too or as you note anything handy
with a slit cut in it.
Yes, a substitute spoke can be functional but may not match aesthetically.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Jim Higson wrote:

> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

That would seem to do the trick. Just be sure that the hacksaw cut is
thin enough.

> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive.

Sure does. What do you get besides $4 worth of spokes?

--

David L. Johnson

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
-- Albert Einstein

> Jim Higson wrote:
>
>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
>> turning.
>> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
>> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

> That would seem to do the trick. Just be sure that the hacksaw cut is
> thin enough.
>>
>> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these
>> wheels,
>> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive.

> Sure does. What do you get besides $4 worth of spokes?

An extraordinary exchange rate?

David L. Johnson wrote:

> Jim Higson wrote:
>
>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
>> turning. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a
>> bit of wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

> That would seem to do the trick. Just be sure that the hacksaw cut is
> thin enough.
>>
>> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these
>> wheels, but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive.

> Sure does. What do you get besides $4 worth of spokes?

Well, to be fair, the spokes are probably equivalent to DT aerolite, which
are £2.15 at my LBS, and you do get nipples, so the same from DT would be
about £12 for me, which I think is about $24.

Still over-expensive though.

--
Jim

Antti Salonen wrote:

> Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
>> turning. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a
>> bit of wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?

> Should be fine. The Sapim tool for this is just a piece of plastic with
> a small slot for the bladed spoke.
>
>> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these
>> wheels, but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In
>> case I break one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes
>> brands (DT swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?

> I don't think so. My 2005 model Eurus wheels have the same kind of
> spokes, and they look exactly like black Sapim CX-Ray spokes, except that
> they don't have the Sapim logo or the bend. The only source is Campagnolo.

I have very occasionally seen straight-pull CX-rays, but only on built-up
wheels. I'll ask at the LBS if they can get them, but I suspect they are
only sold to wheel factories.

On Aug 28, 9:37 am, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with a
> bike. The wheels are Campagnolo Neutrons. I could get the LBS to do it, but
> I like to fix these things myself and have trued more traditional wheels
> quite a few times before.
>
> I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from turning.
> Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a bit of
> wood cut with a hacksaw blade might do the job. Comments?
>
> While I'm on the subject, Campagnolo sell spare spoke kits for these wheels,
> but they are £24 for 6 spokes, which seems a bit expensive. In case I break
> one, are straight-pull spokes avaliable from the usual makes brands (DT
> swiss, Sapim etc) and would they work with these wheels?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

I have a pair of pliers designed for stretching upholstery, would that
work maybe with some tape on the jaws for padding?

http://www.decoratorsupplyinc.com/pliers.htm

look at the second one down, I am sure you can probably find something
more economical though.

nate