Workout advice from swimmers?

Deli

Guest
I have embarked on a fitness programme that includes working out on my NordicTrack skier, and
swimming at the local pool. I am doing 30 min. cardio on the NT 6 times of week, and swimming 5
times a week (mon-friday). I take Saturday off entirely.

So far, I have been ramping up my swims to the point where I do 1300 Metres in a session. I have two
hour to exercise at the pool, and I was wondering, what sort of distance should I be working up to,
until it is too much ? Should I let my own body govern this ? How much distance are accomplished
swimmers doing ?

thx

"Deli" left this mess on Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:35:36 -0300 for The Way to clean up:

>I have embarked on a fitness programme that includes working out on my NordicTrack skier, and
>swimming at the local pool. I am doing 30 min. cardio on the NT 6 times of week, and swimming 5
>times a week (mon-friday). I take Saturday off entirely.
>
>So far, I have been ramping up my swims to the point where I do 1300 Metres in a session. I have
>two hour to exercise at the pool, and I was wondering, what sort of distance should I be working up
>to, until it is too much ? Should I let my own body govern this ? How much distance are
>accomplished swimmers doing ?

If you are doing this only for fitness and not for competition, then let your body dictate the
distance and more important, the pace. You will see more and better results from swimming slower but
longer than faster but not completing the time.

Tao te Carl

"Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like adolescents." - Jon C.

"Deli" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have embarked on a fitness programme that includes working out on my NordicTrack skier, and
> swimming at the local pool. I am doing 30 min. cardio on the NT 6 times of week, and swimming 5
> times a week (mon-friday). I take Saturday off entirely.
>
> So far, I have been ramping up my swims to the point where I do 1300 Metres in a session. I have
> two hour to exercise at the pool, and I was wondering, what sort of distance should I be working
> up to, until it is too much ? Should I let my own body govern this ? How much distance are
> accomplished swimmers doing ?
>
> thx

2hrs is a looonnggg time in a pool for most people. It sounds like you might benefit from lessons or
at least modifying technique/doing some drills. In an hr training session we typically do approx 2km
which is composed of intervals, drills etc. Once you get your technique sorted a bit you'll be
knocking out 1300m in half hour steady swimming.