Workout induced Bronchitis???

biker801

Jan 23, 2011
I did my first 70 mile ride about 3 weeks ago and ironically I developed Bronchitis that night/next day. Coincidence??? I sure hope so. I did some research during the 2 weeks off the bike (which was absolutely horrible) and I read an few articles. People were saying that if you have athsma and do extreme workouts such as this, you can develop acute bronchitis. I have suspected slight athsma throughout my life, but I am hoping this is pure coincidence. I have plans of much better rides for my future! Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else has had any kind of similar experience.

I had something similar happen when I went riding with a sinus infection. I only made it a couple miles, turned around and came back, then spent the next 2 hours coughing constantly, then had a residual cough for a couple weeks, so I stayed off the bike during that time.

There's no way to tell if it's coincidental but it's most likely that it's contributory. Acute Bronchitis is generally a viral infection which you don't get from pedaling your legs, but the stress on the lungs and over-all fatigue and body stress may well contribute to your inability to hold the virus in check. The virus that you may normally have been able to defend against could become a problem. It's also possible your bronchitis is a reaction to the exercise itself but that would not typically involve symptoms of acute bronchitis with fever and such. Only a checkup by an md would allow you to really know. Many people, including me, get exercised induced asthma, a very different thing. If you don't get entirely rid of the virus it is not impossible that similar stresses could bring on a relapse so it could indeed be an issue and is probably worth looking at imho. I'm not a medical person at all so this is just a layman's opinion...

Depends on what you consider old!! LOL. I'm 36........I don't think I'm old. But what I do think is your response what sort of ............uhhhh let's say somewhat ignorant. Wasn't going to say much. But after reading your other thread you started.......yeah you're definitely a real jack ass. Stealing peoples bikes??? Take your loser self someplace else

biker801 wrote, in part:
"......yeah you're definitely a real jack ass."

My reply:
Now that's some funny stuff, dude!

As to your other query, allow me to share my own (relevant) background:
I'm 56, and had open-heart surgery in 1961, where they removed the pulmonic valve. I was 6 yrs old, and they didn't put replacements in back then for this surgery. My heart today is about twice the size of normal, and rotated 30 degrees to the left, which also cramps the left lung somewhat. Doc says this is why I've had bronchial-related illnesses most of my life....pnuemonia, sinusitis and ear infections which travel via eustacion tubes into throat and on to lungs, etc..

Now all this leaves me somewhat weak on endurance, short of breath often....you get the idea. I'm very strong for my age and condition, but I've also noticed that if I exert a lot, say, long rides while not getting enough rest, I tend to see cold sores on my lips, which is a sure sign to me that I'm letting myself get run down. I've learned that restful sleep is the answer to this, as well as loading up on vitamin C (OJ, grapefruit juice). I don't experience these symptoms if I get the rest I need. Amount of sleep is irrelevant.....RESTFUL sleep is the key here. For me, 6 hrs sleep while warm is more restful than 12 hrs being cold. If you're experiencing sinus infections after a 70-mile ride, you might consider the above. Also, a lot of folks that think they have sinus problems really have dental problems. A tooth that needs work can hold and maintain a load of infection. I can't get rid of sinusitis or rank breath if I have a bad tooth. A friend had all of his teeth pulled and never had another sinus infection in the 10-20 years since. This is worth looking into, in my opinion, especially if, like me, you find evidence of some heart problem, however slight. You really should see a cardiologist if you can, dude, because your body could be sending you a an early warning signal too important to ignore. Minor adjustments could yield major benefits here.

I ride regularly, going from Lancaster, Ohio to Lake Logan (abt 40 miles) and from Nelsonville to Athens (abt 46 miles) on the Adena Bikeway. I've also made a ride from Lancaster to Nelsonville and back (72 miles) recently. I've not gotten sick on these rides or after them, but my tailbone gets sore. I've gotten sunburned, and this also contributes to cold sores, as well as swollen legs/ankles, which I've had twice. First time was worst., while second was negligible. Your mileage may vary on this, but again, this is worth mentioning. I also can't stress the importance of sunscreen (I use Coppertone 4 lotion) and good fluids. Once you learn your own body's peculiarities regarding these things you shouldn't have any more problems.

I hope this doesn't bore you excessively, as these are things that affect my own riding and health, so I feel obligated to share them for the benefit of others. They may be irrelevant to you, but you or someone else may find this info useful for consideration. Do continue to ride and post here regularly. I could use the occasional cackle!

73 de Mike