WORKOUTS CAN CHECK DIABETES AFTER 40: STUDY

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Workouts can check diabetes after 40: Study

    ANI Saturday, August 30, 2003

    Washington - Middle-aged people with diabetes have been advised by experts to exercise regularly to
    keep their insulin level under control.

    A study by researchers at the Mayo Clinic has found that middle-aged and older people can't sustain
    increased insulin sensitivity produced by aerobic exercise.

    A decline in insulin sensitivity is normal as people age and that reduced insulin sensitivity makes
    them more prone to developing diabetes.

    The study which appears in the August issue of Diabetes, was conducted on 65 healthy, but mostly
    sedentary, men and women aged 21 to 87.

    They took part in a four-month long aerobic exercise program where the intensity and length of the
    training sessions increased over time.

    Researchers measured the subjects' insulin sensitivity, abdominal fat and enzyme systems involved in
    cellular energy conversion at the beginning of the study, and again a few days after the final
    exercise session.

    "The insulin sensitivity of younger people remained higher four days after exercising. But no
    increase was recorded in the middle-aged and older participants," lead investigator and
    endocrinologist Dr K Sreekumaran Nair was quoted as saying by Health Scout.

    "The [study] results may be helpful to pre-diabetic and diabetic patients and their health-care
    providers as they plan more effective exercise regimens," Nair added.

    Read the complete news at: http://www.timesofindia.com

    News Plus http://www.mantra.com/newsplus

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 5 Bhadrapad 5104, Sunday, August 31, 2003:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Dakshinaya Jivana Ritau Singh Mase Shukl Pakshe Bhanu Vasara Yuktayam Chitr-
    Svati Nakshatr Brahm Yog Bav-Balav Karan Panchami Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational purposes of research and
    open discussion. The contents of this post may not have been authored by, and do not
    necessarily represent the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
    and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me, it
    will likely not be read, considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number. o Posted for information
    and discussion. Views expressed by others are not necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Workouts can check diabetes after 40: Study
    >
    > ANI Saturday, August 30, 2003
    >
    > Washington - Middle-aged people with diabetes have been advised by experts to exercise regularly
    > to keep their insulin level under control.

    > A study by researchers at the Mayo Clinic has found that middle-aged and older people can't
    > sustain increased insulin sensitivity produced by aerobic exercise.

    More earth shattering obviousness.

    > A decline in insulin sensitivity is normal as people age and that reduced insulin sensitivity
    > makes them more prone to developing diabetes.

    You don't say!!

    Beav