workouts in days before race?

velobob

Sep 15, 2004
I am wondering what people do for workouts in the 3 days before a race. I have tended to do something like this:

Thurs - Normal training session (probably longer intervals as it's the end of the week)

Fri - Off

Sat - 1 hr easy ride with 3 x 1minute blasts (~1.5 x FTP) and 3 x 30 (~2 x FTP) sec blasts

Sun - Race

I often wonder if I wouldn't do better by just taking two full days off (ie not doing the Sat workout) and being totally rested and full of vinegar for the race.

velobob said:
...I often wonder if I wouldn't be better off just taking two full days of (ie not doing the Sat workout) and being totally rested and full of vinegar for the race.
I've had very bad luck with that approach. I really need a wake up and shake out session the day before a race. If I need extra time off for a more important race I'll take it earlier in the week for instance skipping your Wednesday or Thursday workout but I'd do a prerace ride on Saturday. YMMV
-Dave

velobob said:
Fri - Off
Sat - 1 hr easy ride with 3 x 1minute blasts (~1.5 x FTP) and 3 x 30 (~2 x FTP) sec blasts
Sun - Race
My CTS coach always had me do something very similar to your schedule. Race -2 days was a rest day, Race -1 day was a short ride with 3 "leg openers." He actually had the pre-race day a bit easier, 30 minute easy ride with the 3x1min really hard (just like you say, 1.5-1.6 x FTP). But in reality I usually rode for about an hour, so again, very close to your schedule.