WorkReport: First day at Central Wheel

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jon Bond, May 24, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Good people. My "shop name" is "Turd Furguson". Its a funny name, get it? (Their method, think six
    degrees of separation: Bond... sean connery... celebrity jeopardy... Burt Reynolds saying his name
    was the above). Very cool people though.

    Got sent to stall a guy who had been in 3 or 4 times in the last week or two and always just looked
    at the bikes, asked a lot of questions, then left. Ended up selling him a Raleigh C40 (IIRC)
    hybrid. Score.

    Some simple repair stuff, running repairs up and down from the cellar, drooling at bikes. Triathlon
    lady brought us chinese food, thanks! Talked to two guys, one who started biking with Jason, who's
    pretty much the shop manager (although the owner calls himself the manager too). Other guy was just
    getting into biking. Budget? under 1000 if possible. cool, can do. Show bikes from 700-100 dollars,
    some Cannondale F400s and the model below that (has a name, not a number), a Jamis Dakar so he could
    consider full suspension and discs, but recommended he go for a hardtail with V's. Ended up selling
    him an F500 that Jason gave him a deal on. And a new (nice) trunk rack for the back. Score two!

    Another rack, some pumps, helmets, clothing, that type of stuff. Guy with three boys under 10 (poor
    guy!), looking to replace one of their bike his wife ran over. Ended up drooling over the new light
    road bikes and mountain bikes. He said he'd definitely be back. Older husband and wife (55 I think
    he said), who know the manager, just kind of browsing the road bikes. Pull some down for him, make
    some suggestions, point out differences between models. Nice couple. Make some small talk, they end
    up leaving with two mounts for their wall, and are coming back once its nice out and the Manager is
    back from vacation to pick up two nice road bikes.

    Yeehaw. Even better, the manager originally promised me 30 hours or so a week, then decided he only
    wanted me on Saturdays. Jason liked me a lot better than the kid he had working full time hours, and
    said he'd switch our schedules and get me working there. Invited on their rides after work every
    day, to come and hang out, bring my road bike and new bike in and work on 'em in the shop...
    Sweetness.

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Jon Bond thoughtfully penned:
    > Good people. My "shop name" is "Turd Furguson". Its a funny name, get it? (Their method, think six
    > degrees of separation: Bond... sean connery... celebrity jeopardy... Burt Reynolds saying his name
    > was the above). Very cool people though.
    >
    > Got sent to stall a guy who had been in 3 or 4 times in the last week or two and always just
    > looked at the bikes, asked a lot of questions, then left. Ended up selling him a Raleigh C40
    > (IIRC) hybrid. Score.
    >
    > Some simple repair stuff, running repairs up and down from the cellar, drooling at bikes.
    > Triathlon lady brought us chinese food, thanks! Talked to two guys, one who started biking with
    > Jason, who's pretty much the shop manager (although the owner calls himself the manager too).
    > Other guy was just getting into biking. Budget? under 1000 if possible. cool, can do. Show bikes
    > from 700-100 dollars, some Cannondale F400s and the model below that (has a name, not a number), a
    > Jamis Dakar so he could consider full suspension and discs, but recommended he go for a hardtail
    > with V's. Ended up selling him an F500 that Jason gave him a deal on. And a new (nice) trunk rack
    > for the back. Score two!
    >
    > Another rack, some pumps, helmets, clothing, that type of stuff. Guy with three boys under 10
    > (poor guy!), looking to replace one of their bike his wife ran over. Ended up drooling over the
    > new light road bikes and mountain bikes. He said he'd definitely be back. Older husband and wife
    > (55 I think he said), who know the manager, just kind of browsing the road bikes. Pull some down
    > for him, make some suggestions, point out differences between models. Nice couple. Make some small
    > talk, they end up leaving with two mounts for their wall, and are coming back once its nice out
    > and the Manager is back from vacation to pick up two nice road bikes.
    >
    > Yeehaw. Even better, the manager originally promised me 30 hours or so a week, then decided he
    > only wanted me on Saturdays. Jason liked me a lot better than the kid he had working full time
    > hours, and said he'd switch our schedules and get me working there. Invited on their rides after
    > work every day, to come and hang out, bring my road bike and new bike in and work on 'em in the
    > shop... Sweetness.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    so do you get a commission?

    ;-)

    penny

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Good people. My "shop name" is "Turd Furguson". Its a funny name, get it? (Their method, think six
    > degrees of separation: Bond... sean connery... celebrity jeopardy... Burt Reynolds saying his name
    > was the above). Very cool people though.
    >
    > Got sent to stall a guy who had been in 3 or 4 times in the last week or two and always just
    > looked at the bikes, asked a lot of questions, then left. Ended up selling him a Raleigh C40
    > (IIRC) hybrid. Score.
    >
    > Some simple repair stuff, running repairs up and down from the cellar, drooling at bikes.
    > Triathlon lady brought us chinese food, thanks! Talked to two guys, one who started biking with
    > Jason, who's pretty much the shop manager (although the owner calls himself the manager too).
    > Other guy was just getting into biking. Budget? under 1000 if possible. cool, can do. Show bikes
    > from 700-100 dollars, some Cannondale F400s and the model below that (has a name, not a number), a
    > Jamis Dakar so he could consider full suspension and discs, but recommended he go for a hardtail
    > with V's. Ended up selling him an F500 that Jason gave him a deal on. And a new (nice) trunk rack
    > for the back. Score two!
    >
    > Another rack, some pumps, helmets, clothing, that type of stuff. Guy with three boys under 10
    > (poor guy!), looking to replace one of their bike his wife ran over. Ended up drooling over the
    > new light road bikes and mountain bikes. He said he'd definitely be back. Older husband and wife
    > (55 I think he said), who know the manager, just kind of browsing the road bikes. Pull some down
    > for him, make some suggestions, point out differences between models. Nice couple. Make some small
    > talk, they end up leaving with two mounts for their wall, and are coming back once its nice out
    > and the Manager is back from vacation to pick up two nice road bikes.
    >
    > Yeehaw. Even better, the manager originally promised me 30 hours or so a week, then decided he
    > only wanted me on Saturdays. Jason liked me a lot better than the kid he had working full time
    > hours, and said he'd switch our schedules and get me working there. Invited on their rides after
    > work every day, to come and hang out, bring my road bike and new bike in and work on 'em in the
    > shop... Sweetness.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    so, do they need another guy, and do you have a spare room? ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > Jon Bond thoughtfully penned:
    > > Good people. My "shop name" is "Turd Furguson". Its a funny name, get it? (Their method, think
    > > six degrees of separation: Bond... sean connery... celebrity jeopardy... Burt Reynolds saying
    > > his name was the above). Very cool people though.
    > >
    > > Got sent to stall a guy who had been in 3 or 4 times in the last week or two and always just
    > > looked at the bikes, asked a lot of questions, then left. Ended up selling him a Raleigh C40
    > > (IIRC) hybrid. Score.
    > >
    > > Some simple repair stuff, running repairs up and down from the cellar, drooling at bikes.
    > > Triathlon lady brought us chinese food, thanks! Talked to two guys, one who started biking with
    > > Jason, who's pretty much the shop manager (although the owner calls himself the manager too).
    > > Other guy was just getting into biking. Budget? under 1000 if possible. cool, can do. Show bikes
    > > from 700-100 dollars, some Cannondale F400s and the model below that (has a name, not a number),
    > > a Jamis Dakar so he could consider full suspension and discs, but recommended he go for a
    > > hardtail with V's. Ended up selling him an F500 that Jason gave him a deal on. And a new (nice)
    > > trunk rack for the back. Score two!
    > >
    > > Another rack, some pumps, helmets, clothing, that type of stuff. Guy with three boys under 10
    > > (poor guy!), looking to replace one of their bike his wife ran over. Ended up drooling over the
    > > new light road bikes and mountain bikes. He said he'd definitely be back. Older husband and wife
    > > (55 I think he said), who know the manager, just kind of browsing the road bikes. Pull some down
    > > for him, make some suggestions, point out differences between models. Nice couple. Make some
    > > small talk, they end up leaving with two mounts for their wall, and are coming back once its
    > > nice out and the Manager is back from vacation to pick up two nice road bikes.
    > >
    > > Yeehaw. Even better, the manager originally promised me 30 hours or so a week, then decided he
    > > only wanted me on Saturdays. Jason liked me a lot better than the kid he had working full time
    > > hours, and said he'd switch our schedules and get me working there. Invited on their rides after
    > > work every day, to come and hang out, bring my road bike and new bike in and work on 'em in the
    > > shop... Sweetness.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > so do you get a commission?
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > penny

    no, straight pay. $8 or so an hour, which is not bad - this job is SO much easier than banquet
    waiting, where I only made $9 an hour and had awful hours. Plus, I love bikes :)

    Actually better not to have comission, that way we don't try to force people into more expensive
    bikes they really don't need. Seems to work out pretty well.

    Jon Bond

  5. Jon Bond

> [...]

    > > Make some small talk, they end up leaving with
    two
    > > mounts for their wall, and are coming back once its nice out and the
    Manager
    > > is back from vacation to pick up two nice road bikes.
    > >
    > > Yeehaw. Even better, the manager originally promised me 30 hours or so
    > > week, then decided he only wanted me on Saturdays. Jason liked me a lot better than the kid he
    > > had working full time hours, and said he'd switch
    our
    > > schedules and get me working there. Invited on their rides after work
    every
    > > day, to come and hang out, bring my road bike and new bike in and work
    on
    > > 'em in the shop... Sweetness.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    > >

    > so, do they need another guy, and do you have a spare room? ;-)

    No, and no. Dude, its a summer job, not a career. Its enough money to fund my biking habit, but
    that's about it. Plus you get a hell of a lot of (friendly) ribbing - hence being renamed "Turd".
    Its a sweet job, but not something I'd make a career out of - same for ski instructing.

    why not ask at the bike shop that gave you those spokes?

    Jon Bond

  6. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Good people. My "shop name" is "Turd Furguson". Its a funny name, get it? (Their method, think six
    > degrees of separation: Bond... sean connery... celebrity jeopardy... Burt Reynolds saying his name
    > was the above). Very cool people though.
    >
    > Got sent to stall a guy who had been in 3 or 4 times in the last week or two and always just
    > looked at the bikes, asked a lot of questions, then left. Ended up selling him a Raleigh C40
    > (IIRC) hybrid. Score.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Cool report. I'd hoped all that GR time you've spent would some day pay off. There you go. Thatsa
    better summer job than I had when I was in school.

    Paladin

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Good people. My "shop name" is "Turd Furguson". Its a funny name, get
    it?
    > > (Their method, think six degrees of separation: Bond... sean
    connery...
    > > celebrity jeopardy... Burt Reynolds saying his name was the above).
    Very
    > > cool people though.
    > >
    > > Got sent to stall a guy who had been in 3 or 4 times in the last week or
    two
    > > and always just looked at the bikes, asked a lot of questions, then
    left.
    > > Ended up selling him a Raleigh C40 (IIRC) hybrid. Score.
    > >
    > > Jon Bond
    >
    > Cool report. I'd hoped all that GR time you've spent would some day pay off. There you go. Thatsa
    > better summer job than I had when I was in school.
    >
    > Paladin

    Well, I was going to be delivering pizzas because I only had a solid job for saturdays, and
    occasional bussing at the place I was a banquet waiter. I might still do the bussing, but if he
    comes through with the extra hours, then the only pizza I'm delivering will be fromo the plate to my
    stomach. Via my mouth, if I'm lucky.

    Jon Bond

  8. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:

    > Good people. My "shop name" is "Turd Furguson". Its a funny name, get it? (Their method, think six
    > degrees of separation: Bond... sean connery... celebrity jeopardy... Burt Reynolds saying his name
    > was the above). Very cool people though.
    >
    > Invited on their rides after work every day, to come and hang out, bring my road bike and new
    > bike in and work on 'em in the shop... Sweetness.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Dear Turd, Who said a job ain't nothin' but work... Sweet deal... Next time I am up your way I'll
    look you up Turd ;-)

    Heh...

    san.... Jimbo(san)

  9. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    TF,

    Glad to hear it's going well! Hopefully there will be even more bennies in it for you besides the
    meeting new riders and getting anointed a new name. Often times bike shop people can get amazing
    deals on trade-ins and such (don't know if you're in the market for any bikes though).

    Good luck. Sounds like your attitude will keep it fun.

  10. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > TF,
    >
    > Glad to hear it's going well! Hopefully there will be even more bennies
    in
    > it for you besides the meeting new riders and getting anointed a new name. Often times bike shop
    > people can get amazing deals on trade-ins and such (don't know if you're in the market for any
    > bikes though).
    >
    > Good luck. Sounds like your attitude will keep it fun.

    Just bought a new mountain bike (although I currently only have frame, fork, disc brakes, and
    derailleurs - the rest is in boston minus wheels, seatpost, stem, and bars), and I have a road bike
    I just finished up today. I can always use more parts tho :)

    Jon Bond