Workshop aluminium frame repair in London/S.East

The gear-hanger and part of the dropout on my old aluminium Specialized
Allez broke off in a distressing incident by Tower Bridge. The
replaceable hanger feature didn't help. As part of the dropout went
with it (vertical type), one of those nasty adapter plates to hang the
derailleur on won't help.

I've unsucccessfully googled for a frame repairer, but can't find one
in London that actually handles alu on the premises. TJ Quick used to
do this in Forest Hill, but sadly he retired some years ago. Everyone
else in town seems to ship your frame off to Leeds or somewhere,
although they prefer not to tell you this.

Can anyone suggest a good work/shop or framebuilder in London or
closeish where I can take my stripped alloy frame? I don't want it sent
off if I can possibly avoid it.

O.

As a P.S. my trusty back-up bike, a very well-travelled '80s 531 Claud
Butler (not real) Majestic, has cracked right round the lug at the top
of the head tube. As it's a just a pseudo-Townsend (head-tube badge is
a transfer), should I just junk the frame? I'm sure I've got another
old 531 frame for 27" wheels in my sister's shed I could transfer the
bits to.

Oops, forgot, if you have a tip, but can't post, contact me via:
centrepullATgenieDOTcoDOTuk.

[email protected] wrote:
> The gear-hanger and part of the dropout on my old aluminium Specialized
> Allez broke off in a distressing incident by Tower Bridge. The
> replaceable hanger feature didn't help. As part of the dropout went
> with it (vertical type), one of those nasty adapter plates to hang the
> derailleur on won't help.

In article <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The gear-hanger and part of the dropout on my old aluminium Specialized
> Allez broke off in a distressing incident by Tower Bridge. The
> replaceable hanger feature didn't help. As part of the dropout went
> with it (vertical type), one of those nasty adapter plates to hang the
> derailleur on won't help.
>
> I've unsucccessfully googled for a frame repairer, but can't find one
> in London that actually handles alu on the premises. TJ Quick used to
> do this in Forest Hill, but sadly he retired some years ago. Everyone
> else in town seems to ship your frame off to Leeds or somewhere,
> although they prefer not to tell you this.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good work/shop or framebuilder in London or
> closeish where I can take my stripped alloy frame? I don't want it sent
> off if I can possibly avoid it.

Why not just find a local fabricator who does alloy TIG welding?
Framebuilders are only glorified plumbers anyway :)

> As a P.S. my trusty back-up bike, a very well-travelled '80s 531 Claud
> Butler (not real) Majestic, has cracked right round the lug at the top
> of the head tube. As it's a just a pseudo-Townsend (head-tube badge is
> a transfer), should I just junk the frame? I'm sure I've got another
> old 531 frame for 27" wheels in my sister's shed I could transfer the
> bits to.

That's probably a fairly easy repair to do in a brazing hearth if you
fancy having a go yourself (if you can get hold of a replacement head
tube).

Witcomb in Deptford once did a superb job on my old Orange P7.
One of the bottle cage nuts pulled out, and a good repair was made.

Don't know if they'll have much truck with aluminium though. Grin.
Give them a call though.

Feeling rather sorry for myself, as I'm not confident that the
odd-shaped Al dropout will be readily available. I never considered a
fabricator, because of this issue, and dropout alignment worries. FW
Evans are big on Specialized, but today being Saturday, I'm not getting
through on the phone so far.

Similarly, I'd be a bit worried about inexperience/heat management
problems if attempting to braze 531 myself. A hidden problem is that
the frame will then need refinishing, and it's currently powder
coated...

semi-OT:
Much respect, P7 is a fantastic machine, I remember when it first came
out, mmmm. After riding the smooth chrome machine (style much ripped
off afterwards), I remember trying to buy a review model, but the queue
in the office to buy it stretched out the door, and I had no chance.
Bah.

Witcomb are actually my LBS. I don't think they do Al, but I'll check.
I know they sell imported Al frames. Maybe they bought Quick's gear and
know how to use it. I never go in there, as:

a) old Witcomb used to be astonishingly rude to me.

b) several times when I went in there, I heard Witcomb, a very
knowledgeable man, giving misleading advice to inexperienced cyclists.

c) I used to provide a mobile maintenance service to couriers and
others, and I once encountered old W in a cycle parts wholesaler when I
was buying parts for some bikes I was outfitting for a transcontinental
expedition. Charmingly, he pointed me out as 'non-trade', and demanded
that the wholesaler threw me out! Luckily for me, I was spending far
too much money for the trader to agree. This didn't encourage me to
support his W's shop.

He might have retired by now though!

[email protected] wrote:
> The gear-hanger and part of the dropout on my old aluminium Specialized
> Allez broke off in a distressing incident by Tower Bridge. The
> replaceable hanger feature didn't help. As part of the dropout went
> with it (vertical type), one of those nasty adapter plates to hang the
> derailleur on won't help.

Perhaps a long shot, but a friend had a chainstay corrode through on a
several year old steel Allez and Specialized gave him a new frame.

> As a P.S. my trusty back-up bike, a very well-travelled '80s 531 Claud
> Butler (not real) Majestic, has cracked right round the lug at the top
> of the head tube. As it's a just a pseudo-Townsend (head-tube badge is
> a transfer), should I just junk the frame? I'm sure I've got another
> old 531 frame for 27" wheels in my sister's shed I could transfer the
> bits to.

This is a typical failure for lugged frames. The cost for repair likely
exceeds the value of the frame. That is probably true for the Allez as well.

In article <[email protected]>
grannyhalfstep <[email protected]> wrote:
> Feeling rather sorry for myself, as I'm not confident that the
> odd-shaped Al dropout will be readily available. I never considered a
> fabricator, because of this issue, and dropout alignment worries.

Don't you still have all the bits? If you do they should be able to
stick it back together for you, so alignment problems would be
minimalised.

> Similarly, I'd be a bit worried about inexperience/heat management
> problems if attempting to braze 531 myself.

Not particularly a problem with the head tube, and if you hearth braze
it you'll avoid the local hot spots that you could get with
overenthusiastic application of an oxy-acetylene torch. 531 is fairly
forgiving, at least in the heavier gauges.

> A hidden problem is that
> the frame will then need refinishing, and it's currently powder
> coated...

Just rub the burned paint down well and spray a fade in a contrasting
colour.

Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:

>> As a P.S. my trusty back-up bike, a very well-travelled '80s 531 Claud
>> Butler (not real) Majestic, has cracked right round the lug at the top
>> of the head tube. As it's a just a pseudo-Townsend (head-tube badge is
>> a transfer), should I just junk the frame? I'm sure I've got another
>> old 531 frame for 27" wheels in my sister's shed I could transfer the
>> bits to.

Top tube replacements are $125 (affordable builder like franklin
frames of ohio) to $175 (expensive builders). Best bet is to find a
local builder. A used 531 frame could be had for about $125 on ebay,
although the quality would probably not be as high as the claud
butler.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> As a P.S. my trusty back-up bike, a very well-travelled '80s 531 Claud
>>> Butler (not real) Majestic, has cracked right round the lug at the top
>>> of the head tube. As it's a just a pseudo-Townsend (head-tube badge is
>>> a transfer), should I just junk the frame? I'm sure I've got another
>>> old 531 frame for 27" wheels in my sister's shed I could transfer the
>>> bits to.
>>>

> Top tube replacements are $125 (affordable builder like franklin
> frames of ohio) to $175 (expensive builders).

Including paint?