worksman industrial bikes

vlad

Aug 17, 2003
Do you know anyone who rides a Worksman Industrial bike?

http://www.worksman.com/Whatmakesworksmanbikes.htm

the Worksman is the 3/4 ton truck of bicycles ........spokes are 0.120" diameter ( 0.125" = 1/8 inch), wheels of thicker metal, etc

not a race horse, but a plodding Percheron capable of carrying heavy loads.

Why the hell would you need something like that? 11 guage spokes? Wow! I tip the scales at 270(ish) and that's before I've had a pint or two of the black stuff and have great luck with 32 spokes at 14 guage. And that's considering I huck the hell out of my bike and ride stupid. That bike must be the F-350 of cruisers. I'm gonna' have nightmares about that one for months!

K.

Originally posted by ireman_1
Why the hell would you need something like that? 11 guage spokes? Wow! I tip the scales at 270(ish) and that's before I've had a pint or two of the black stuff and have great luck with 32 spokes at 14 guage. And that's considering I huck the hell out of my bike and ride stupid. That bike must be the F-350 of cruisers. I'm gonna' have nightmares about that one for months!

K.

I am a retired career soldier, now 71, 6-3, 260 lbs and I ride daily to keep fit.

In a guerrilla war/defence of the homeland scenario I would take to the puckerbrush with my Garand, 200 rounds and forty pounds of gear without which life might be short but grim.
I no longer leap tall buildings at a single bound -- though I remmerber it well -- and would not fare well with a 50 lb ruck on my back. I would do much better with that gear strapped to my sturdy bicycle.

My 260, plus ten pound rifle, plus 20 pounds ammo, plus forty lbs gear = 350 as near as matters.

One need not be a 19 year to kill the enemy with a rifle.

OK there Vlad! Have fun with your garand. You might be better served in that scenario with a bike capable of trekking through the puckerbrush and up and down hills, like a mountain bike. Maybe you assumed (since you are EX-military you remember what that does) I was attacking you, but you assumed wrong. That bike seems like overkill, unnecessary, that's all. If all hell breaks loose I'll look for you out in the brush. I'll be carrying a colt .223 or two (don't shoot me 'cuz I'm on your side), not on a bike though. I'll probably keep my truck. Vlad, please remember what one of my heros once said "Life is nasty, brutish, and short."-Locke

Take care and thanks for your service.
K.

K

I was thinking worst case scenario with the bicycle. I would prefer to operate out of the GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup that I bought new in 1976. In December 2002 I drove it from East Texas to Big Bend NP, about 1600 miles roundtrip. In the words of Arnold the Terminator, "No problemo."

You sound like my kind of thug. My AO will not include Oregon. Glad to know that you are there.

There are not many of us here, but like my spanish friends say "Nos poco peros locos." We'll hold our own when it all goes pear shaped! Shoot small and ride hard.

K.