Workstand *not* made of cheese?

JBW

Guest
When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.

Physically, they gripped the frame like:

http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.

I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
apprenticeship?

JBW

JBW wrote:

> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?)

Les mecaniciens or les "mecano's"

Derk

JBW wrote:
> I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
> workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
> apprenticeship?

This maybe?

http://www.bicisupport.it/

Derk

JBW wrote:
> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
> prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
> commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
> (as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
>
> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
>
> but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
> in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
>
> I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
> workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
> apprenticeship?
>
> JBW

Cyclus?

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

Derk said: http://www.bicisupport.it/

Marten pointed to the similar: "Cyclus"

If that's not it it's a pretty fair approximation. I remember drawers
for tools underneath, but I'm probably misremembering.

A UK site lists it at 400 quid. These days that's about US$40,000 (post-
Bush), so I guess I'll have to stay with the bungee cords hanging from
the rafters for a bit longer.

Thanks guys!

JBW

JBW wrote:
> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
> prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
> commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
> (as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
>
> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
>
> but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
> in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
>
> I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
> workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
> apprenticeship?

Photo shows sort of a modern lightweight version of the classic moped
work stand. Var seems nor to list them now:
http://www.vartools.com/fr/catalogue.php

but look for a 'moped service stand' rather than 'bicycle stand'.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

On 2008-05-08, JBW <[email protected]> wrote:
> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
> prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
> commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
> (as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
>
> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

I've used a stand like this and they have the disadvantadge of not being
able to easily fit/remove one of the wheels when the bike is in the
stand. Great for stupidly light weight bikes though no worries about
clamping the tubes.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

On May 8, 2:20 pm, JBW <[email protected]> wrote:
> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
> prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
> commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
> (as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
>
> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
>
> but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
> in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
>
> I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
> workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
> apprenticeship?

screw a basic fork mount like you can screw into your truck bed into a
bit of board fastened on top of a wooden work bench. Discount tool
place had basic benches for $50 at the strip mall yesterday. Add a
cheap bench vice and the whole setup could be yours for $100.

landotter wrote:
> On May 8, 2:20 pm, JBW <[email protected]> wrote:
>> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
>> prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
>> commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
>> (as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
>> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
>> but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
>> in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
>> I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
>> workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
>> apprenticeship?

> screw a basic fork mount like you can screw into your truck bed into a
> bit of board fastened on top of a wooden work bench. Discount tool
> place had basic benches for $50 at the strip mall yesterday. Add a
> cheap bench vice and the whole setup could be yours for $100.

Good idea!
I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one though:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE...9213279QQihZ014QQcategoryZ87070QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak
--

On May 8, 7:09 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > On May 8, 2:20 pm, JBW <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
> >> prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
> >> commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
> >> (as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
> >> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
> >> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
> >> but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
> >> in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
> >> I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
> >> workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
> >> apprenticeship?

> > screw a basic fork mount like you can screw into your truck bed into a
> > bit of board fastened on top of a wooden work bench. Discount tool
> > place had basic benches for $50 at the strip mall yesterday. Add a
> > cheap bench vice and the whole setup could be yours for $100.

> Good idea!
> I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one though:http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE-VAR-SPECIAL-MOBYLETTE-1964_W0QQit...
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak
> --

It probably describes how you make the BB support out of a hollowed
block lined with worn out toe straps glued in place with tubular
cement.

Man, if I had room, I could bang one of these out in a couple hours.
I'd of course have to stain it with green and black IKEA water and
linseed varnish to give it that gloomy French feel, and let some
Galouise cigs burn to the nub on the edges to give it the right look.

On May 8, 7:42 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 8, 7:09 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > landotter wrote:
> > > screw a basic fork mount like you can screw into your truck bed into a
> > > bit of board fastened on top of a wooden work bench. Discount tool
> > > place had basic benches for $50 at the strip mall yesterday. Add a
> > > cheap bench vice and the whole setup could be yours for $100.

> > Good idea!
> > I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one though:http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE-VAR-SPECIAL-MOBYLETTE-1964_W0QQit...
> > orhttp://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak
> > --

> It probably describes how you make the BB support out of a hollowed
> block lined with worn out toe straps glued in place with tubular
> cement.

Of course that block would have to be tenoned and fit into a longer
mortise to accommodate different size frames. Maybe even some handsome
wedges could be used to secure it. Or have it in the slot and
adjustable by leather pulley with a crank at the end of the bench,
which would be the ultimate in slick, but not as stable.

On May 8, 8:55 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 8, 7:42 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Good idea!
> > > I can't find a drawing in any recent VAR books. Probably in this one though:http://cgi.ebay.fr/A-VOIR-OUTILLAGE-VAR-SPECIAL-MOBYLETTE-1964_W0QQit...
> > > orhttp://tinyurl.com/5ww5ak
> > > --

> > It probably describes how you make the BB support out of a hollowed
> > block lined with worn out toe straps glued in place with tubular
> > cement.

> Of course that block would have to be tenoned and fit into a longer
> mortise to accommodate different size frames. Maybe even some handsome
> wedges could be used to secure it. Or have it in the slot and
> adjustable by leather pulley with a crank at the end of the bench,
> which would be the ultimate in slick, but not as stable.

Campy QR skewers through oak planks, used as compression clamps. Or
Peugeot branded wing nuts.

On Thu, 08 May 2008 19:20:37 GMT, JBW <[email protected]> may have said:

>When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
>prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
>commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
>(as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
>
>Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
>
>but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
>in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
>
>I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
>workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
>apprenticeship?

Looks like a Tacx tabletop workstand setup bolted to the top of a
folding table that I've seen somewhere.

On May 8, 1:20 pm, JBW <[email protected]> wrote:
> When last I visited France, all the wrenches (les wrenches?) seemed to
> prefer a workstand style much more substantial than the rickety things we
> commonly see in the U.S. They were coffee-table sized contraptions that
> (as I recall) included a tool chest and a tray to hold loose parts.
>
> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5
>
> but, unlike the referenced image, they were quite unlikely to blow over
> in a freshening breeze. The were most certainly *not* portable.
>
> I've googled until my eyes are watering. Is it possible to buy such a
> workstand? Or must the French fabricate their own as part of the
> apprenticeship?
>
> JBW

A trainer on top of a table works like that. Before I bought a stand,
I used to put my trainer on a table and the bike on the trainer and
work on my bike. What I like about stands that hold from the seatpost
is that I can keep the front wheel on if I need to work on the front
brake. I can also replace cables under the bottom bracket and clean
under there. By holding the bike from the seatpost, you have the rest
of the bike free to work on whatever component you want. You can also
rotate the clamp placing the bike in any position that you want. You
can also remove the headset and fork w/o trouble.

OTOH, on the pictured stand, you would have to remove the bike from
stand to do a number of repairs, cleaning, etc. However if you like
that, again, an old trainer will work. You can also get a trainer that
clamps to the rear hub bolt/quick release/nut. Put the trainer and
bike on a table and work on it.

Andres

On 2008-05-08, Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Physically, they gripped the frame like:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5qw8s5

> I've used a stand like this and they have the disadvantadge of not being
> able to easily fit/remove one of the wheels when the bike is in the
> stand. Great for stupidly light weight bikes though no worries about
> clamping the tubes.

I try not to clamp on tubes on any frames. I keep a few old seat posts
around and clamp on them instead. An adjustable carpenter's square will
let you record the height of the customer's post so you can restore it
to the same position when you've finished with the bike.

--

John ([email protected])