World Champ Kit

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Super Mario, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Super Mario

    Super Mario New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2003
    I was in the park yesterday afternoon. Training, minding my own business (I was wearing Cipollini's World Champion kit) I didn't use the Rudy Project world champ glasses as I thought might be over the top.

    AnywayI had 2 guys ride up to me and tell me that I might want to wear something else next time as there is a vet world champ who trains there on a tuesday and thursday.

    They pointed out to me that it is a little insulting to someone who earned the rainbow jersey, for someone who bought it to wear it! Hey I reckon stiff S#$T! I will wear what I like. It is not a race, training in the park so I can wear what I like.

    They weren't too happy about my opinion. Why is there such a big fuss about a Jersey! If this is the case then why do manufactures sell these items? I have 2 sets, one I wear, and one I have kept int he plastic as I collect limited editon cycling kits.

    I don't wear the white world champ kit too often as the white lycra gets see through when it gets wet!

    :rolleyes:

    Tags:

  2. Chickasmith

    Chickasmith Guest

    Act like Super Mario would ... tell them to get stuffed and mind their own business ...

    "Super Mario" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was in the park yesterday afternoon. Training, minding my own business (I was wearing
    > Cipollini's World Champion kit) I didn't use the Rudy Project world champ glasses as I thought
    > might be over the top.
    >
    > AnywayI had 2 guys ride up to me and tell me that I might want to wear something else next time as
    > there is a vet world champ who trains there on a tuesday and thursday.
    >
    > They pointed out to me that it is a little insulting to someone who earned the rainbow jersey, for
    > someone who bought it to wear it! Hey I reckon stiff S#$T! I will wear what I like. It is not a
    > race, training in the park so I can wear what I like.
    >
    > They weren't too happy about my opinion. Why is there such a big fuss about a Jersey! If this is
    > the case then why do manufactures sell these items? I have 2 sets, one I wear, and one I have kept
    > int he plastic as I collect limited editon cycling kits.
    >
    > I don't wear the white world champ kit too often as the white lycra gets see through when it
    > gets wet!
    >
    > :rolleyes:
    >

    > --
    > I'm not going to say I'm the greatest cyclist, but I won't disagree with
    anyone who says I am!

  3. Rman

    Rman Guest

    "chickasmith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Act like Super Mario would ... tell them to get stuffed and mind their own business ...

    Unless it's uphill, then Super Mario bursts into tears, gets all Italian, packs it in, goes home and
    complains he never gets asked to the TdF.............

  4. Karl Nixon

    Karl Nixon Guest

    "Super Mario" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was in the park yesterday afternoon. Training, minding my own business (I was wearing
    > Cipollini's World Champion kit) I didn't use the Rudy Project world champ glasses as I thought
    > might be over the top.
    >
    > AnywayI had 2 guys ride up to me and tell me that I might want to wear something else next time as
    > there is a vet world champ who trains there on a tuesday and thursday.
    >
    > They pointed out to me that it is a little insulting to someone who earned the rainbow jersey, for
    > someone who bought it to wear it! Hey I reckon stiff S#$T! I will wear what I like. It is not a
    > race, training in the park so I can wear what I like.
    >
    > They weren't too happy about my opinion. Why is there such a big fuss about a Jersey! If this is
    > the case then why do manufactures sell these items? I have 2 sets, one I wear, and one I have kept
    > int he plastic as I collect limited editon cycling kits.
    >
    > I don't wear the white world champ kit too often as the white lycra gets see through when it
    > gets wet!
    >
    > :rolleyes:

    F*^k them....

    Remind them that imitation is the best form of flatery and he would be proud.. not insulted!!!

    Karl

  5. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    "Super Mario" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > They pointed out to me that it is a little insulting to someone who earned the rainbow jersey, for
    > someone who bought it to wear it! Hey I reckon stiff S#$T! I will wear what I like. It is not a
    > race, training in the park so I can wear what I like.
    >
    > They weren't too happy about my opinion. Why is there such a big fuss about a Jersey! If this is
    > the case then why do manufactures sell these items?

    Wear what you like. Manufacturers make them just for guys like you. I would suggest this would make
    an excellent jersey to race in. Wear it at your next race and everybody will be jealous

  6. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Unless the other guy is actually Mario himself - doesn't that make those guys slightly hypocritical?

    Wear it with pride.

    My wife wants a US Postal kit, she's no Lance (I found that out on our wedding night:eek: :rolleyes: :D ). Maybe I should just get her a Huffy/Kmart kit instead? No toes to step on there....

  7. Hysend

    Hysend Guest

    Wear what you like, (As long as it's not his normal zebra sapone strip) just be prepared to put up
    with the insults. The big fuss is that there is only 1 person in the world who can wear that strip
    and it is not you....Better still, go OS and race/train in that strip and see what happens. You will
    not get a start in an Open RR wearing a rainbow jersey unless you won it.

  8. "hysend" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Wear what you like, (As long as it's not his normal zebra sapone strip)
    > just be prepared to put up with the insults. The big fuss is that there is
    > only 1 person in the world who can wear that strip and it is not you....

    I think it more accurate to say that only one person has "earned" it.

    Besides, this business that it's wrong to wear jerseys that haven't been earned is just way too
    gauche; go to Centennial Park on any given day and see how many people are riding around, free
    of insult, wearing trade team jerseys they haven't "earned", including KOM and Sprint jerseys
    from the TdF.

    >Better still, go OS and race/train in that strip and see what happens. start in an Open RR wearing
    >a rainbow jersey unless you won it.

    I once read a story on rec.bicycling.racing about a guy who raced in a criterium in the US, wearing
    a brand-new USPS jersey.......much to his unfortunate embarrassment he had to line-up next to George
    Hincapie at the start, who was wearing the same jersey. George merely smiled at the guy, and
    complimented him on his good taste.

    DM
    --
    "Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets - all improbable, glorious miracles that I have
    always believed in." -Tim Robbins

  9. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

  10. Matt Tabone

    Matt Tabone New Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2003

  11. L.Lorincz

    L.Lorincz Guest

    Yeh, why not buy an Olympic gold medal and wear it around your neck. Or perhaps buy some of those
    fake military medallions and march on Anzac day with the real ex service men who have the real
    medallions.

    But then again we all wear team gear but non of us are member of a pro team.

    I personally would not wear rainbow, polka dot, green or yellow jersey because I haven't earned
    either of them. But I do wear team gear. Hypocrisy? I don't know but that is where I drew the line.

    Laz