World Champs - Bayley v Bos

Two young guys that can ride 10 sec 200s and 1.01 kilos . They are both awsome. Mclean is as well.

Billsworld said:
I have been trying to keep track of some of the elite sprinters via the net.(not much info) It seems that both Mclean and Bos were racing Kerrin in Japan. The tracks there are huge and the srpints are long.At WCs I heard that Bos walked away early in the Kerrin and had no one near him. He Qualified in 10.01 in the 200 ,or something close to that. (over 44mph ave:eek: ) My guess is from looking at him , he can hold speed and high cadence for a LONG time. I would love to see an SRM file of his 200 vs someone like Staff or Mclean. Has anyone seen him ride a 200 live?
Although the Japanese keirin tracks are huge they're not generally fast because they have high friction surfaces. I think this is because they will race in any weather condition. I know that many of the recent Japanese Pro championships (contested on keirin velodromes) have gone ahead in torrential rain. I doubt they'd of got 10.01's in Japan, at least not in time trials, even in Maebashi or Kokura. Theo Bos has done a 10.003 in a flying start time trial at Krylatskoye which is the fastest ever done sea level. He's also done a 10.068 on a 250m track and only Jens Fiedler has done better than that. There is little doubt that he could break 10 seconds if he went up to one of the high altitude venues in decent conditions. When Bos won the kilo World Championships in 2005 I remember it was commented on that he had a very high cadence and small gear compared to his opponents. If Bos were used as demarreur (lead-off) for the Dutch team sprint then it is likely he would put every one else, even Bauge, to shame for the standing 250m. He had a time marginally faster than MacLean's best team sprint 250m split (these are not always reliable as the first man will sometimes have swung up by 250, they only have to lead through a relay mark entering the straight, though MacLean can generally be relied upon to do a full stint) set in a standing lap time trial at Alkmaar (not one of the fastest tracks in the world). As for MacLean, he is absolutely awesome to watch. I saw him do a stunning 200m back in October at nationals when he apparently had a cold and still knocked out 10.248, in front of about 12 people without the velodrome up to temperature. He then went off to Krylatskoye and broke the British record at the World Cup in November. He is a very, very powerful rider indeed. If you've got through this far then you might want to visit my website (www.trackcycling.info) as it has got a fair bit of news and data on this sort of thing. The information is out there, though it can be a bugger to find it a lot of the time.

I wasnt saying those times were in Japan. From what little I have seen on video, the sprints are long and it seems this guy can fly for a long time. I am busting my ars to get to 40 mph on a flat road sprint for a few seconds. For a mortal like myself the speed/cadence comes as the lactic acid begins to melt the legs. Its awsome to hear of these guys maintaining 44+ mph for 10 secs. Cool Site.

Billsworld said:
I wasnt saying those times were in Japan. From what little I have seen on video, the sprints are long and it seems this guy can fly for a long time. I am busting my ars to get to 40 mph on a flat road sprint for a few seconds. For a mortal like myself the speed/cadence comes as the lactic acid begins to melt the legs. Its awsome to hear of these guys maintaining 44+ mph for 10 secs. Cool Site.
Sorry, I misread your earlier comment. I see the comment was pertaining to the Worlds qualifying and you're spot on, Bos did 10.1 dead with MacLean just behind (both slower that Rousseau did in '98 though). You're correct that they've both been out and done the international keirin on at least a couple of occasions each too. Glad you like the site.

Mat (www.trackcycling.info)

Bos will medal in all 4 of his events in Beijing, and win gold in atleast 2 of them. Golds for sure in the match sprint and the kieren, and medals of some color in the team sprint and 1000 metre time trial. I know he will do atleast that. Ryan Bayley will be lucky to win one medal.

Theo underperformed in Athens, he scheduled poorly and choked under the pressure. He was heartbroken you could tell, but he will avenge that in Beijing.
Bayley has had his best glory, it wont be repeated.

temper27 said:
Bos will medal in all 4 of his events in Beijing, and win gold in atleast 2 of them. Golds for sure in the match sprint and the kieren, and medals of some color in the team sprint and 1000 metre time trial. I know he will do atleast that. Ryan Bayley will be lucky to win one medal.

Theo underperformed in Athens, he scheduled poorly and choked under the pressure. He was heartbroken you could tell, but he will avenge that in Beijing.
Bayley has had his best glory, it wont be repeated.
So at 22 Bayley is on the downside of his career and Bos is king?:rolleyes: Something tells me that Bayley can still ride 10.0 and wont lay down.

Bayley is not 22, he is 24. Bos is the 22 year old, not Bayley. So what if he is young, Bos is even younger, by about a year and a half, and is improving faster. Yes Bos is king, he just kicked major a$$ at the Worlds, he is the only cyclist to win World titles in all 3 individual events now atleast once, and he won two different individual golds at Worlds this year. Bayley won the Olympics because Bos underperformed but this years Worlds will be what the next few years will look like, Bos the king, Bayley one of the ones fighting for the leftover scraps.

Like I said Bos will win atleast 2 golds and 4 medals in Beijing. Bayley might win one medal, and it wont be gold. I will be crowing in 27 months when I am proven right.

For the record I predicted Bos to not win a gold in Athens since I thought he would get nervous and choke since he was newer to the top level than Bayley, Gane, and the others. So I am usually right when I say something will happen.

temper27 said:
Bayley is not 22, he is 24. Bos is the 22 year old, not Bayley. So what if he is young, Bos is even younger, by about a year and a half, and is improving faster. Yes Bos is king, he just kicked major a$$ at the Worlds, he is the only cyclist to win World titles in all 3 individual events now atleast once, and he won two different individual golds at Worlds this year. Bayley won the Olympics because Bos underperformed but this years Worlds will be what the next few years will look like, Bos the king, Bayley one of the ones fighting for the leftover scraps.

Like I said Bos will win atleast 2 golds and 4 medals in Beijing. Bayley might win one medal, and it wont be gold. I will be crowing in 27 months when I am proven right.

For the record I predicted Bos to not win a gold in Athens since I thought he would get nervous and choke since he was newer to the top level than Bayley, Gane, and the others. So I am usually right when I say something will happen.
I am guessing by post#26 your "predicting" the kilo will be an event in 08?

Billsworld said:
I am guessing by post#26 your "predicting" the kilo will be an event in 08?

I don't think Bos will get a medal of any color in the Olympic Kilo, and I am usually right when I say something will not happen.

WarrenG said:
I don't think Bos will get a medal of any color in the Olympic Kilo, and I am usually right when I say something will not happen.
I predict that Warren G will have as good a chance as Bos in the 08 Kilo

dont disagree with the supposed thoughts that bos is on more of an up than bayley. is a few years younger/newer, and consistently fast.

but.....

bayley wanted the comm games. he stated it, put his head down, and blew everyone away, sprint and keirin. i think you sell him short...he has won a world championship, but the last few years he has either been injured, or other meets on.
when he wants something, he'll get it. not a chance in the world he'd let bos past him, in fact, in terms of bigtime performers, he is at the top of the tree in any sport.

Like I said a few posts before, we are all in for some exciting sprinting over the next few years if these two stay focused and racing.

Looking from the outside in here, I would say that Bos has remained a little more focused compared to Bayley. Now, I'am not counting Bayley out. But some of his performances at World cups over the past year show signs of a rider that doesn't take things seriously for long enough periods of time.

And focusing on purely the CG vs the WC is not a good move mentally. The mark of a top performer would have been to win the CG, then go to Bordeaux and perform very well. Winning and losing are balanced on a knife edge.

I guess what I'am trying to say is, Bayley should have been able to go to Bordeaux and be in the medals.

dont disagree 6002...hard to medal though when he ran into bos early on. but i guess that was due to seeding/lack of real fire in the belly to get the highest possible position. am close enough to know that when he wants something, he gets it, has that ability to pick and choose (dangerous yes...but an incredible ability to have).

I don't think it's truth to say you care more about the Commonwealth Games win than a World Championship win. The level of competition at the Worlds is higher. Like 6002 said, you win at CG, recover for a week or two and then go even faster at Worlds, if you think you can win at Worlds.

IMHO, winning at the CG, then performing poorly at Worlds. Then saying that they were focused more on CG is a bit of a cop out. ( If he actually said this)

Bayley has already tasted the top of the podium at all levels. He has the ability, mental stamina, and courage.

The mark of a real Champion would be get back there again.

And now that Bos has,what looks like, " raised the bar" , it would be a tremendous feather in his cap for Bayley to get back to the top.

Ricardo29 said:
dont disagree with the supposed thoughts that bos is on more of an up than bayley. is a few years younger/newer, and consistently fast.

but.....

bayley wanted the comm games. he stated it, put his head down, and blew everyone away, sprint and keirin. i think you sell him short...he has won a world championship, but the last few years he has either been injured, or other meets on.
when he wants something, he'll get it. not a chance in the world he'd let bos past him, in fact, in terms of bigtime performers, he is at the top of the tree in any sport.
Ok so you think the Commonwealth Games is bigger than the World Championships? I can tell you if I was an elite athlete(by that I mean an Olympic level athlete of course) I would in no way consider the Commonwealth Games the bigger meet. I would probably try and succeed at both, but if I had to pick or choose, Worlds would be my higher priority, hands down.

Billsworld said:
Ummm.No Kilo in 08
There is talk of that, but I think it will change. They will realize it is a dumb idea to get rid of it just like they will realize they are wrong to get rid of womens softball like they are planning to now. :D