World iron anemia crisis and diabetes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by markd, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. markd

    markd Guest

    In a previous post we noted that india is rife with iron anemia because of the kind of veggie diet
    eaten there for religious reasons and as compounded by poverty. One notes with interest that india
    also has one of the highest, if not the highest, rates of diabetes and at an ever increasing rate.
    Where nature does an experiment like this we can at least speculate about he connection between iron
    stores and the appearence of diabetes. Our common friend thinks iron causes diabetes, in which case
    why does a population with iron anemia so common also have so much diabetes?

    Tags:

  2. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    > In a previous post we noted that india is rife with iron anemia because of the kind of veggie diet
    > eaten there for religious reasons and as compounded by poverty. One notes with interest that india
    > also has one of the highest, if not the highest, rates of diabetes and at an ever increasing rate.
    > Where nature does an experiment like this we can at least speculate about he connection between
    > iron stores and the appearence of diabetes. Our common friend thinks iron causes diabetes, in
    > which case why does a population with iron anemia so common also have so much diabetes?

    As well as vegetarian diets with little of the protective efects of good fats. A diet can't get much
    more high-carb than a vegetarian diet.

    TC