World Mountain Bike Championships

Tony Raven

Guest
On BBC Breakfast this morning, but first I've heard of it, the World
Mountain Bike Championships are starting in Ft William with 40,000 people
expected. Good on the BBC for giving it a decent slot in their sports
report.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

> On BBC Breakfast this morning,

Television in the morning is the work of the Stan :)

> but first I've heard of it, the World Mountain Bike Championships
> are starting in Ft William with 40,000 people expected. Good on the
> BBC for giving it a decent slot in their sports report.

Indeed.

Tony Raven said the following on 04/09/2007 07:01:
> On BBC Breakfast this morning, but first I've heard of it, the World
> Mountain Bike Championships are starting in Ft William with 40,000 people
> expected. Good on the BBC for giving it a decent slot in their sports
> report.

Well, I suppose it's only been publicised for about a year or so, but
then again I buy MTB mags :) I would like to see some of this coverage
and I'm amazed the BBC have picked it up, but from tomorrow I'll be
heading Coed-y-Brenin/Penmachno way!

IIRC, spectator figures far exceed many other sports shown on TV, yet
it's still seen as a quirky minority sport.

BTW - Telly? Morning? The last thing I watched was the last series of
Doctor Who!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tony Raven wrote:
> On BBC Breakfast this morning, but first I've heard of it, the World
> Mountain Bike Championships are starting in Ft William with 40,000
> people expected. Good on the BBC for giving it a decent slot in their
> sports report.

Problem is they have broadcasting rights so we'll probably get half an hour
in 3 weeks on a Sunday tea time....

On 4 Sep, 08:10, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> > On BBC Breakfast this morning, but first I've heard of it, the World
> > Mountain Bike Championships are starting in Ft William with 40,000
> > people expected. Good on the BBC for giving it a decent slot in their
> > sports report.

> Problem is they have broadcasting rights so we'll probably get half an hour
> in 3 weeks on a Sunday tea time....

Does anyone know when/if it will be on the telly at the weekend? I've
found lots of vague references on BBC web pages but can't find any
actual schedule. IIRC Cycling Weekly said there would be a two hour
show at the weekend.

POHB wrote:
> On 4 Sep, 08:10, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>> On BBC Breakfast this morning, but first I've heard of it, the World
>>> Mountain Bike Championships are starting in Ft William with 40,000
>>> people expected. Good on the BBC for giving it a decent slot in
>>> their sports report.

>> Problem is they have broadcasting rights so we'll probably get half
>> an hour in 3 weeks on a Sunday tea time....

> Does anyone know when/if it will be on the telly at the weekend? I've
> found lots of vague references on BBC web pages but can't find any
> actual schedule. IIRC Cycling Weekly said there would be a two hour
> show at the weekend.

From the BBC listings:
Sun 9 Sep, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm 120mins

BBC Two brings viewers highlights of the 2007 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials
World Championships from Fort William in Scotland.

There's a strong British presence, with Steve Peat, a real gold medal
contender in the men's downhill, having shone in the World Cup this year. He
suffered a dislocated foot at the National Championships in July but has
made a dramatic recovery, such is his desire to compete this week. Viewers
can expect plenty of spectacular action.

On Sep 4, 9:24 am, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
> POHB wrote:

> >> Problem is they have broadcasting rights so we'll probably get half
> >> an hour in 3 weeks on a Sunday tea time....

> > Does anyone know when/if it will be on the telly at the weekend? I've
> > found lots of vague references on BBC web pages but can't find any
> > actual schedule. IIRC Cycling Weekly said there would be a two hour
> > show at the weekend.

> From the BBC listings:
> Sun 9 Sep, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm 120mins
>
> BBC Two brings viewers highlights of the 2007 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials
> World Championships from Fort William in Scotland.
>
> There's a strong British presence, with Steve Peat, a real gold medal
> contender in the men's downhill, having shone in the World Cup this year. He
> suffered a dislocated foot at the National Championships in July but has
> made a dramatic recovery, such is his desire to compete this week. Viewers
> can expect plenty of spectacular action.

Wow, that's looking up. It's great the BBC having to show something
other than football..

Wonder if they will be showing any of the Tour of Britain...

...d

David Martin wrote:
> On Sep 4, 9:24 am, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> POHB wrote:

>>> Does anyone know when/if it will be on the telly at the weekend?
>>> I've found lots of vague references on BBC web pages but can't find
>>> any actual schedule. IIRC Cycling Weekly said there would be a two
>>> hour show at the weekend.

>> From the BBC listings:
>> Sun 9 Sep, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm 120mins
>>
>> BBC Two brings viewers highlights of the 2007 UCI Mountain Bike and
>> Trials World Championships from Fort William in Scotland.
>>
>> There's a strong British presence, with Steve Peat, a real gold medal
>> contender in the men's downhill, having shone in the World Cup this
>> year. He suffered a dislocated foot at the National Championships in
>> July but has made a dramatic recovery, such is his desire to compete
>> this week. Viewers can expect plenty of spectacular action.

> Wow, that's looking up. It's great the BBC having to show something
> other than football..
>
> Wonder if they will be showing any of the Tour of Britain...

Duuno - I'll be watching live on Tuesday, at the sprint outside Dunster and
st the finish in Taunton!

In article <[email protected]>, cupra
[email protected] says...

> From the BBC listings:
> Sun 9 Sep, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm 120mins
>
> BBC Two brings viewers highlights of the 2007 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials
> World Championships from Fort William in Scotland.
>
> There's a strong British presence, with Steve Peat, a real gold medal
> contender in the men's downhill, having shone in the World Cup this year. He
> suffered a dislocated foot at the National Championships in July but has
> made a dramatic recovery, such is his desire to compete this week. Viewers
> can expect plenty of spectacular action.

No mention of the women's downhill contingent then, despite the fact
that they're in with an excellent chance of a couple of medals - what a
surprise.

On 4 Sep, 11:52, David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 9:24 am, " cupra" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > POHB wrote:

> > > Does anyone know when/if it will be on the telly at the weekend? I've
> > > found lots of vague references on BBC web pages but can't find any
> > > actual schedule. IIRC Cycling Weekly said there would be a two hour
> > > show at the weekend.

> > From the BBC listings:
> > Sun 9 Sep, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm 120mins

> > BBC Two brings viewers highlights of the 2007 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials
> > World Championships from Fort William in Scotland.

> > There's a strong British presence, with Steve Peat, a real gold medal
> > contender in the men's downhill, having shone in the World Cup this year. He
> > suffered a dislocated foot at the National Championships in July but has
> > made a dramatic recovery, such is his desire to compete this week. Viewers
> > can expect plenty of spectacular action.

> Wow, that's looking up. It's great the BBC having to show something
> other than football..

If they cut back on football they might be able afford some other,
better programs, and perhaps footballers' wages will start to fall so
that supporters can start to get value for money when they go to watch
live.

David Lloyd (at work)