Worldcup-stats

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kenny, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I've collected the results of all the worldcup-races since the start of the worldcup in 1989. These
    are the riders who stood on the podium of those races the most:

    1. Johan Museeuw: 27 times top3
    2. Andrei Tchmil: 12 times
    3. Michele Bartoli and Erik Zabel: 11 times

    Museeuw = impressive!

    Tags:

  2. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >Museeuw = impressive!

    Indeed he is! Three times as many times as his nearest competitor.

    Does anyone have an equivalent stat for Kelly? He's the only one I can think of in the last 20 years
    or so who might have comparable or better palmares. I guess it might be hard to compile, since there
    was no WC for most of his career, and some of those races may not even have existed . . .

  3. "Mapei81" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >Museeuw = impressive!
    >
    > Indeed he is! Three times as many times as his nearest competitor.
    >
    > Does anyone have an equivalent stat for Kelly? He's the only one I can think of in the last 20
    > years or so who might have comparable or better palmares. I guess it might be hard to compile,
    > since there was no WC for most of his career, and some of those races may not even have
    > existed . . .

    Check this out:

    http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/index.asp

    gives a fairly objective ranking based upon points in the great races. Kelly still is well ahead
    of Museeuw.

  4. Bart

    Bart Guest

    ? for the "Major one-day races" they have this ranking.

    1 Eddy Merckx, BEL 9180 2 Rik Van Looy, BEL 5300 3 Roger De Vlaeminck, BEL 4830 4 Francesco Moser,
    ITA 3940 5 Johan Museeuw, BEL 3930 6 Sean Kelly, IRE 3670 7 Jan Raas, HOL 3630 8 Fausto Coppi, ITA
    3600 9 Rik Van Steenbergen, BEL 3470 10 Moreno Argentin, ITA 3040

    seems about right

  5. Bart

    Bart Guest

    and

    RANKING IN THE MAJOR CLASSICS

    ALL-TIME LIST CURRENT RIDERS

    Name Points Name Points

    1 Eddy Merckx, BEL 7660 1 Johan Museeuw, BEL 3410 2 Roger De Vlaeminck, BEL 4630 2 Michele Bartoli,
    ITA 1940 3 Rik Van Looy, BEL 3980 3 Erik Zabel, GER 1900 4 Johan Museeuw, BEL 3410 4 Andrea Tafi,
    ITA 1360 5 Jan Raas, HOL 3230 5 Peter Van Petegem, BEL 910 6 Francesco Moser, ITA 3140 6 Mario
    Cipollini, ITA 880 7 Sean Kelly, IRE 3110 7 Paolo Bettini, ITA 790 8 Fausto Coppi, ITA 3040 8 Tom
    Steels, BEL 680 9 Costante Girardengo, ITA 2520 9 Gianluca Bortolami, ITA 660 10 Gino Bartali, ITA
    2420 10 Francesco Casagrande, ITA 660

    but then I see Wilfried Nelissen is Top 15 among 'current riders'??

    In any case I think Museeuw is underrated in the all-time list because cycling was more
    internationally limited before him.

  6. "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > and
    >
    > RANKING IN THE MAJOR CLASSICS
    >

    > ALL-TIME LIST CURRENT RIDERS
    >
    > Name Points Name Points
    >
    > 1 Eddy Merckx, BEL 7660 1 Johan Museeuw, BEL 3410 2 Roger De Vlaeminck, BEL 4630 2 Michele
    > Bartoli, ITA 1940 3 Rik Van Looy, BEL 3980 3 Erik Zabel, GER 1900 4 Johan Museeuw, BEL 3410 4
    > Andrea Tafi, ITA 1360 5 Jan Raas, HOL 3230 5 Peter Van Petegem, BEL 910 6 Francesco Moser, ITA
    > 3140 6 Mario Cipollini, ITA 880 7 Sean Kelly, IRE 3110 7 Paolo Bettini, ITA 790 8 Fausto Coppi,
    > ITA 3040 8 Tom Steels, BEL 680 9 Costante Girardengo, ITA 2520 9 Gianluca Bortolami, ITA 660 10
    > Gino Bartali, ITA 2420 10 Francesco Casagrande, ITA 660
    >
    > but then I see Wilfried Nelissen is Top 15 among 'current riders'??
    >
    > In any case I think Museeuw is underrated in the all-time list because cycling was more
    > internationally limited before him.

    I like Kelly's record slightly better because he won all the major classics except for Tour
    of Flanders.

    At the same time we can't dispute how special Museeuw is in Belgian classics. Looking at the current
    riders' list, none of those guys will be remembered as a great classics rider although I can imagine
    how some Italians will beg to differ.

  7. "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ? for the "Major one-day races" they have this ranking.
    >

    > 1 Eddy Merckx, BEL 9180 2 Rik Van Looy, BEL 5300 3 Roger De Vlaeminck, BEL 4830 4 Francesco Moser,
    > ITA 3940 5 Johan Museeuw, BEL 3930 6 Sean Kelly, IRE 3670 7 Jan Raas, HOL 3630 8 Fausto Coppi, ITA
    > 3600 9 Rik Van Steenbergen, BEL 3470 10 Moreno Argentin, ITA 3040
    >
    > seems about right

    ya, I couldn't find the link for the classics rankings. dumb.

  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Does anyone have an equivalent stat for Kelly? He's the only one I can think of in the last 20
    > years or so who might have comparable or better palmares. I guess it might be hard to compile,
    > since there was no WC for most of his career, and some of those races may not even have
    > existed . . .

    Sean Kelly 1983 Tour of Lombardy        1st place 1984 Paris-Roubaix 1st place 1984
    Liege-Bastogne-Liege 1st place 1984 Paris-Tours 1st place  1985 Paris-Roubaix 3rd place 1985 Tour
    of Lombardy 1st place  1986 Paris-Roubaix 1st place 1986 Milan-San Remo 1st place  1988
    Ghent-Wevelgem 1st place  1989 Liege-Bastogne-Liege 1st place  1991 Tour of Lombardy 1st place 1992
    Milan-San Remo 1st place

  9. "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Mapei81) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    > > Does anyone have an equivalent stat for Kelly? He's the only one I can think of in the last 20
    > > years or so who might have comparable or better palmares. I guess it might be hard to compile,
    > > since there was no WC for most of his career, and some of those races may not even have
    > > existed . . .
    >
    > Sean Kelly 1983 Tour of Lombardy 1st place 1984 Paris-Roubaix 1st place 1984 Liege-Bastogne-Liege
    > 1st place 1984 Paris-Tours 1st place 1985 Paris-Roubaix 3rd place 1985 Tour of Lombardy 1st place
    > 1986 Paris-Roubaix 1st place 1986 Milan-San Remo 1st place 1988 Ghent-Wevelgem 1st place 1989
    > Liege-Bastogne-Liege 1st place 1991 Tour of Lombardy 1st place 1992 Milan-San Remo 1st place

    where is the Flanders where he didn't figure out that Van der Poel was in the break until too late?

  10. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    This is the complete list af all the riders and how many times they made it to the podium in a
    worlcup-race since the start of the Worlcup in 1989:

    27 J. Museeuw (1) 12 A. Tchmil (1) 11 E. Zabel, M. Bartoli, M. Fondriest (3)
    10 / () 9 L. Jalabert (1) 8 A. Tafi, G. Bugno, L. Armstrong (3) 7 R. Sörensen, F.
    Ballerini, F. Casagrande, D. Rebellin (4) 6 G. Bortolami, S. Kelly, C. Chiappucci,
    M. Boogerd, M. Sciandri,
    R.Vainsteins (6)

    5 E. Van Hooydonck, O. Ludwig, F. Baldato (3) 4 E. Van Lancker, P. Bettini, M. Gianetti, F. Maassen,
    T. Rominger, P. Richard, E. Dekker, C. Mottet, G. Furlan (9)

    3 M. Argentin, J. Durand, A. Ferrigato, O. Camenzind, G. Faresin, M. Cipollini, F. Vandenbroucke, D.
    De Wolf, S. Bauer, G. Delion, P. Van Petegem, S. Zanini, G. Missaglia, J. Ullrich, R. Gölz, S.
    Rooks, D. Cassani, A. Gontchenkov, B. Cenghialta (19)

    2 G. Duclos-Lasalle, R. Jaermann, N. Minali, M. Celestino, V. Ekimov,
    S. Di Luca, J. Nijdam, J. Capiot, A. Volpi, G. Colombo, C. Criquielion, T. Wegmuller, I. Astarloa,
    P. Anderson, E. Vanderaerden,
    T. Roosen, R. Dhaenens, J. Heppner, S. Della Santa, D. Nardello, A. Elli, A. Merckx, F. Moncassin,
    W. Peeters, M. Den Bakker, G. Figueras,
    U. Steels, O. Freire, D. Etxebarria, A. Baffi, Z. Spruch, M. Podenzana, B. Zberg, J. Kirsipuu, M.
    Zberg (35)

    1 L. Fignon, J-M Wampers, J. Müller, G. Zadrobilek, F. Echave, E. Planckaert, A. Van Der Poel, M.
    Indurain, M. Madiot, M. Ghirotto, R. Alcala, H. Redant, E. Berzin, A. De Las Cuevas, V. Bobrik, F.
    Frattini, U. Bölts, B. Riis, F. Guesdon, L. Van Bon, M. Wauters, G. Gwiazdowski, L. Dufaux, R.
    Rumsas, R. Virenque, S. Knaven, D. Frigo,
    V. Piil, H. Frison, F. Philipot, F. Antequera, Y. Madiot, A. Da Silva, J-C. Leclercq, J-C Colotti,
    P. Delgado, M. Gayant, G. LeMond, H.C. Henn, J. Skibby, L. Gelfi, R. Caruso, M. Bettin, S.
    Cattai, F. Jeker,
    W. Hervé, P. Lanfranchi, J. Planckaert, E. Magnien, M. Gualdi, S. Barbero, R. Schweda, R.
    Verbrugghe, D. Pieri, F. Rodriguez, S. Wesemann, S. Garzelli, S. Ivanov, D. O. Lauritzen, S.
    Moreels, M. Earley, J. Talen, C. Bomans, J. Goessens, J-F. Bernard, L. Leblanc, D. Konyshev, N.
    Verhoeven, E. Bouwmans, J. Nevens, D. Bottaro, M. Saligari, B. Hamburger, S. Teutenberg, M.
    Coppolillo, G. Lombardi, A. Peron, H. Vogels, S. Collage, B. Conte, R. Massi, L. Piepoli, L.
    Dierckxens, S. Commesso, F. Puttini, E. Mazzoleni, N. Axelsson, F. Escartin, S. Baguet, D.
    Zanette, T. Boonen, I. Basso (92)