worlds 2011 podium

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by vspa, Sep 13, 2011.

1. vspa

vspa Active Member

Sagan
    Cavendish
    Gilbert

Tags:

2. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

gilbert hushovd sagan

3. Andrija

Andrija Member

Judging by results of races finished so far - sprint finish is more than likely.
    Who knows how to time and measure his effort will win.

Although the finish isn't exactly Cavendish's cup of tea, better chance to win the World's (in reasonable time) he won't have. I also think that the British team has studied the two final straights and corner, and calculated lead - out and timing. So, I wouldn't write off Cavendish.

But I think scenario for tomorrow will be late attack from someone like Cancellara which will be followed by Gilbert, Hushovd, probably Bennati, someone from Dutch team and maybe cuple of riders from smaller teams. The attack will be neutralized quickly, but it will break lead - out trains and there will be chaotic sprint where more experience rider will benefit.

1. Freire
    2. Boasson Hagen
    3. Cavendish

4. vspa

vspa Active Member

Sagan proved quite clever in such sprints at the Vuelta, jumping from one wheel to the next without teammates, as far as written reports described it,

5. Andrija

Andrija Member

Yes, he's very talented, and this parcourse should be nice for him.

But, before the sprint for the victory, there's 260 kilometers for him with just 2 teammates... I don't think he was competitive in races of similar length to this one, and I think this will be the strongest field he was racing against.
    I left him out of podium due to weak team and inexperience.
    There's interesting thing about Sagan, which normally is advantage, but tomorrow can emphasize his inexperience. He can go with the late brake and he can wait for the group sprint... His chances are equal in both cases on this kind of parcourse, I think. What will be his decision? Couple of years of experience in World's road race would help him to make the right decision.

In couple of years he will be main threat on any kind of terrain. Tomorrow, he'll need a bit of luck to get to the podium.

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I didn't get to see the mens road race but I did see the result.
    Good result for Cavendish. His team must have done a good job today.

I'll catch the highlights later

7. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

His team may have done a good job during the race but he managed the finish without any leadout. That little man can fly!

8. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Cav got 'er done. Congrats to him and his team. Cav sure did quite a bit of work on his own, nonetheless.
    From the replays, if Griepel had any kind of leadout to get him into the top 10 going into the sprint, he would have given Cav a serious run. His sprint was pretty impressive as he probably passed 8 or 9 guys in the final 100m to get the bronze.
    Goss made a nice sprint, albeit in the draft of Cav. Getting within half a wheel is still pretty impressive.

9. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

His leadout train was there but it looked as though Cav got stuck as Stannard tried to drag him upto the front. Great improv skills from Geraint Thomas on just pulling off the front and letting the pace drop a fraction. For someone who's so fast (G was on the world record setting team pursuit squad - 3:53) it speaks volumes when he can think fast and ride fast.

Interesting to see that all the key players in the last couple of kilometers were all ex-team pursuit guys. Goss, Thomas, Cav's ridden a few at international level and I think Stannard was on the national squad for the U23's and had some sucess.

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

He gets to wear the world champions jersey for the next season. It is a sweet deal and one that is unique in sport.