World's first KH26?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by peter.bier, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. peter.bier

    peter.bier Guest

    Hi folks,

    My little project to produce a customized 26" mountain unicycle is
    finally finished. I have ridden a 26" wheel size for offroad
    unicycling for years and always wanted a splined one that would do the
    job. I decided to take a KH 29er frame and build up a 26" wheelset
    that would fit inside it.

    The parts are pretty much identical with the stock KH 29er except I
    have replaced the 29 inch rim with a sun double wide 26" rim, thrown an
    nduro leopard 3" tyre on it and wacked on a UDC gel saddle.

    The result is a 7.4kg mountain unicycle which should allow me to hit
    all the drops and jumps I have been avoiding. Anyone else done this
    before?

    |Filename: KH26.jpg |

    peter.bier

    -Peter Bier
    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

  2. markf

    markf Guest

  3. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    ive always wondered why no one has done this... looks sweet

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

  4. giraffe

    giraffe Guest

  5. markf

    markf Guest

  6. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  7. Nice ride.

    --
    TheObieOne3226

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
    'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
    'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

    \"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

    \"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
    mental

    *disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
    you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
    don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
    not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

  8. pete66

    pete66 Guest

  9. peter.bier

    peter.bier Guest

    swarbrim wrote:

    > What length are the cranks?
    >
    > Mike

    The cranks are 150s. I used to ride with 170s but discovered I could
    cover virtually the same terrain with 150s. Hills are a bit tougher
    but it lets you motor faster over cross country.

    Now when I switch back to 170s they feel waaaay too long.

    --
    peter.bier

    -Peter Bier
    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

  10. saam

    saam Guest

  11. trials2k

    trials2k Guest

  12. onebyone

    onebyone Guest

  13. muzzle

    muzzle Guest

  14. peter.bier

    peter.bier Guest

    muzzle wrote:
    > mean uni mate, one problem tho... the brake mounts dont line up with the
    > rim, you will have to modify it to get some proper stopping power.
    > heehee

    That was the only down side but since I have still not got round to
    putting brakes on my coker which has had brake mounts for three years,
    I figure it was a small price to pay to get the wheel size I wanted.

    --
    peter.bier

    -Peter Bier
    peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

  15. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    Someone (Nick, maybe?) had just such a "KH26" at the November Long
    Island Uni gathering.

    Sorry, but it's still a cool vehicle.

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

  16. saam

    saam Guest

  17. edsbelly

    edsbelly Guest

  18. TheBadger587

    TheBadger587 Guest

  19. saam

    saam Guest

    peter.bier wrote:
    > The cranks are 150s. I used to ride with 170s but discovered I could
    > cover virtually the same terrain with 150s. Hills are a bit tougher
    > but it lets you motor faster over cross country.
    >
    > Now when I switch back to 170s they feel waaaay too long.

    When you say "hills are a bit tougher" is that up or down or both. How
    do the 150's affect your down hill riding compared to 170's, because i
    like my 170's going down hill but i hate them on the flat.
    I'm slowly destorying my square tapered hub and am looking to upgrade
    to splined. I was thinking the koxx hub with 160's would be good for
    me. If i were using 160's would i loose that inefficient exaggerated
    feel of the 170's on the flat, or would i have to go all the way down
    to 150's?

    Thanks
    Sam

    P.S. If you read this peter could you please post some more pictures of
    your beast, thanks.

    --
    saam

    Ronnie wrote:
    > "Crippled but still keen, I salute you!"

    my dream stock unicycle:'koxx' (http://tinyurl.com/do9yc)
    my dream custom unicycle:'kh '
    saam's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9168

  20. Eddbmxdude

    Eddbmxdude Guest

    Hey!
    I have a 24" muni with 140's and i did the snowdon ride on it. I found
    it fine, not uncontrollable at all. I found the faster i went' the less
    i UPD'd, and the more fun i had! Even on the more tech stuff i didnt
    struggle, and on the flatter stuff i was way ahead of the guys with
    170's. I don't know how different it would be on a 26" though.

    Ride on!
    Edd

    --
    Eddbmxdude

    Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

    "Its not that far up really" Zippy, on climbing up snowdon.

    "How about not equating death with stopping?" - Alanis Morissette
    Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584