worlds RR farcical result

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Roy Gardiner, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

An opportunist win by a very fine rider, but the best in the world? 2002 Supermario was a much truer result, he had been the best flat-road rider for 10 years+ (not now, of course, Petacchi would have something to say...)

It must come back to August, so that Armstrong, Ullrich and the other dozen or so top men absent from Hamilton are there. That would IMO make sure of more racing in the last 2 laps and a better result.

Did you see Konyshev 14th. What a man! 2nd in '89, he must be 37?

Tags:

2. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I was hoping for Bettini.

3. 2WheelsGood

2WheelsGood New Member

I couldn't disagree more. When a race comes down to a sprint, the man who wins is often the one with the best team to lead him out and the one luckiest enough to have a great position for the sprint. Cipo's win never would have happened without the incredible team he had to take him to the line.

Igor's win yesterday was completly earned with an agressive solo attack that nobody could answer. His success had nothing to do with luck or a strong team.

I was fortunate enough to be in Hamilton yesterday for the race. I certainly wasn't cheering for him, and I'd love to say it was a fluke, but it really wasn't. When you're in a break with 5 of the very best riders in the world and you successfully attack them for a win like that, that's no fluke.

4. Chuckrossin

Chuckrossin New Member

Totally agree. I was picking Spain to post a win due to the course (although I favoured Valverde), but didn't expect such an attack on the hill. His move completely outclassed the other riders.

That said - on any given day, etc. . and that's what happened. It was a very demanding circuit and everything came together for him. Coming in 6 seconds after (PB) is no reflection on team, technique or conditioning. If you want a "fair" result, then, look to a multi-stage tour to decide the WC. Don't whine over the result of a single day event.

5. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Absolutely Astarloa deserved that win, he had the team, the tactics, the form, and the luck and he made it all work. It is by no means a farsical result. BUT, calling the winner of this one race "the best in the world" is what is farsical. It's a big race with a big prize and a semi-unique format but it was never intended to pick "the best in the world", it was intended to crown a champion - big difference.

6. JDM

JDM New Member

Konyshev has always been "the man." He's alaways been able to motivate himself to do well when he wants. Second in 1989 to 14th in 2003....I call that remarkable. Which team did he even ride for this year?? From what I understand, he was somewhat of a partier in his younger days, probably having some effect on his training and results. Awesome talent.

7. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

Correct. Supermario knows this and spent months negotiating to get the team dedicated to him; without that he would not have ridden. His positioning in a sprint is not luck, unless we take the view 'The more I practice the luckier I get'. He was then the greatest sprinter in the world under the Zolder conditions. The Italians have ridden like this (off and on...!) in the past, as do the Spanish, quite right too.

I didn't say it wasn't earned; he was the best on the day. And most emphatically I did not say it was a fluke, no-one wins a race like the Worlds on pure luck. But he was not a marked man like Cipo in '02 or Bettini this year, hence 'opportunist'. Were this any classic road race I would have no criticism at all, and certainly I have none of Astarloa himself. He's a great rider. But the best in the world?? That's why I say the race must go back to August, to get the biggest hitters tempted.

8. rutamike

rutamike New Member

I also was in Hamilton on Sunday, what a race. I think Igor is the type of champion often crowned, a great rider, but not marked like others ie. Bettini.
    I have a good shot of the Peter Van Petegem break up the Beckett hill, and these boys were working. Quite a collection of talent with Bettini and Boogerd, Van Petegem et al.
    That being said I agree with the American biker (I think Chris Horner, Saturn???) who said the Italians were too conservative, kept the pace too slow and chased down all the breaks rather than really sending some guys out to kill the pack.
    If I can, I will put some pics on line, but I don't know how yet, I got a nice shot of a Bettini acceleration, Pena, and others.
    Anyway, Velonews said that often the Worlds crowns an unsung biker in the pack and promotes them to greatness.
    If this works, here's a pic of Van Petergem, Bettini, Hamburger, Boogerd, Astarloa and Camenzind on the Beckett climb. Hope you like it.

9. rutamike

rutamike New Member

Sorry guys (ladies), how do I put a photo in here?

10. rutamike

rutamike New Member

11. rutamike

rutamike New Member

Guys, I've figured this out, now you must look
    Here's Bettini, Miller, Hincapie
    Any comments would be welcome, this is my first time at something like the Worlds.

12. rutamike

rutamike New Member

This one is just Bettini

13. rutamike

rutamike New Member

14. Chuckrossin

Chuckrossin New Member

Just a passing comment - in today's Hamilton Spectator (local daily newspaper) there are articles on the win and this quote from Astarloa about his attack on the hill:

"Nearing the final climb, Bettini offered me money to collaborate with him. He told me we could both arrive to the finish together and fight it out for the gold.
    "I couldn't accept this. The main group was nearly catching us and I could see that (Bettini) was afraid of Freire winning the bunch sprint. I also knew that Bettini was faster than me and I decided to go for it alone."

Later on in the same article, from Van Petegem:

"The Italian team did everything for Bettini, but it was not the Bettini we know. On the last of the climb he was riding in the small gear when it was time to go."

15. rutamike

rutamike New Member

I heard that Astarloa quickly recanted what he said and apologised to Bettini.
    Kind of makes you wonder about some wins that don't seem to make sense, I think this kind of thing happens more than the public would like to think.

16. blip

blip New Member

Those photos are great!
    Regarding the original post of the race being a farce. In my opinion the greatest farce is the previous world champion ( Cipo ) doing the no show! I understand that the parcours were not to his liking but I think it shows a fair amount of disrespect to the Jersey to not defend it.
    Great win by Astraloa, that IS road racing, when you combine bravery, tactics and a pinch of luck...........you get a rainbow jersey

17. shaneo

shaneo New Member

Rutamike

They are some great photos!!!!!

hey whats all the over analysis on the bike race
    if you are a bike racer.....you all know the score
    everyone is an opportunist if given the chance

and of course they collaborate....thats bike racing as well

they all knew it was the world champs and he won it with a clever ride.......good stuff I reckon......

obviously he will be marked from now on and will find it harder to take an opportunist win

18. rutamike

rutamike New Member

I agree totally Sheneo, he was a great rider who was strong and smart at the right time.
    Are you ok if money is exchanged? to me that's a little much, maybe I'm just naive.
    Thanks for the response on the pics.

19. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

A few more photos...

The fight for second is in the background

20. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

And how is the look on Bettini's face?!!