Worlds Worst Drivers

Greg-O said:
being the only teenage cyclist around here i get the same thing. most comments are too obscene to post on this board. a lot of my friends ask why I ride my bike around town, considering I could just drive myself. they'll never understand :rolleyes:
yes im sick of people saying "it's just riding a bike" "riding a bike isnt a sport" one time some one asked me were i had ridden to "oh i rode over by so and so, about a 20 mile ride" then asked me why? what do you f@#$*n mean why? i dont know? why is base ball so popular? or golf? hu? Then one time a guy at school asked me why i dont play sports and i said i like to road bike, and he said "thats not a sport" [he told me his best sport was base ball] cycling is a sport! ever heard of the tour de france? those guys who race in the tour have to go thruogh AlOT more pain and endurence than a freakin base ball player! so @#$% those shmucks!

i guess i would have to say that i am lucky to currently be living in a country that lives for bicycles, japan. it is noce when the law states that pedestrians, and bikes have prioirty over cars.

ryan_velo said:
hey I'm going cycling in st augustine over cristmas break! Ive gone there for vacation almost every year since i was 5. last year i wish i would have had my bike with me so im gona bring it this year. heres a little joke for ya [every thing in florida is in the 80s the IQs, the ages, and the temps] he he he

Yeah, I remember after the 2000 presidential election, some residents wanted to petition the state senate to rename the state "Flori-duh". Make sure you ride the Vilano Bridge. It's the only "climb" you'll find here.

Stiff Upper Lip said:
Hilarious! I lived in Florida....The St. Pete/Tampa/Clearwater area for 5 years. The elderly are feisty in their cars. They'll stop and get out and yell at you. They raise fists of fury....really intense weirdness with some of these folks. Then there are the endless stories of some really old driver on lots of meds just casually plowing through a stop sign and mowing down someone. Didn't see the sign. Didn't see the poor rider.

Once, downtown, a car pulled up next to me at a red light. My HRM suddenly went from 140 to 225 and the alarm started beeping. I'm looking at it thinking "What the hell?". The elderly gentleman in the car looks over at me and says "Is that you or me?" He's got a HRM on, and an oxygen tube under his nose. I guess his transmitter took over my HRM. It was pretty strange, but I laughed about t for the rest of my ride.

jhuskey said:
Well hello K-town. You then know the magical experience that is Sevier Coutny traffic which could be mistaken for Hell to the more sensitive.
All too well. I once got caught between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge during one of those hot-rod cruises. It took 4 hours to go just a few miles. I almost went crazy. Ever ride Bluff Mtn? I love that ride & the view is amazing once you get to the top.

alorlious said:
All too well. I once got caught between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge during one of those hot-rod cruises. It took 4 hours to go just a few miles. I almost went crazy. Ever ride Bluff Mtn? I love that ride & the view is amazing once you get to the top.

Not on a bike but it is a thought. Probably Newfound Gap is one of the best rides for long climbing,except for the traffic, 5000 or better climb up and hold on to yer butt goin back down. If you want to go to Cherokee and back 12000 ft of climbing. Whew!!!

I would have thought that someone would have mentioned AZ, the blue hairs in those Cads will roll over you getting to a garage sale.

majorhavoc said:
Once, downtown, a car pulled up next to me at a red light. My HRM suddenly went from 140 to 225 and the alarm started beeping. I'm looking at it thinking "What the hell?". The elderly gentleman in the car looks over at me and says "Is that you or me?" He's got a HRM on, and an oxygen tube under his nose. I guess his transmitter took over my HRM. It was pretty strange, but I laughed about t for the rest of my ride.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!...I can picture it
That is the funniest thing i have ever read on this forum
Thanks for the laugh!!!!

On the topic though...

The twin cities are very friendly for cyclists. 75% of the roads that i bike on have bike paths and most drivers(except for the ones swerving around someone taking a left turn, taking over the bike path) are semi-aware and pretty curteous. In fact, most of the drivers that i run into are over-cautious when around me. Today, during a ride, a car waited behind me at a stopsign allowing me the appropriate time to merge into traffic. Sometimes i also get the old "thumbs up" from motorcyclists, just happy to see someone else on the road with two wheels. I definately recommend this area for a relaxing, stress-free ride.

Aaron

Its easier to be a bad driver than a good one. Lol You'd have to be pretty bad to be a bad biker. The drivers here are the same as yours. Suicide drivers I think they are from Singapore.

There's horrible drivers everywhere you go. They feel entitled and always in a hurry. They also don't have to be held accountable most of the time, so they don't care.

I would have to say it is not that bad. Drivers just continue to be selfish and unlicensed drivers also causes a thread to others.

Down here in South Africa the drivers are absolutely terrible. Very few stick to the traffic rules and are all potentially dangerous on the roads. I'm very cautious whenever I use the roads, as a pedestrian, cyclist or even as a motor car driver. Road rage is also common and there are quite a number of people who have been maimed or killed.

LA is the land of cars and suburbs. I've been run off the road on the westside, mid city, and downtown. Not a lack of awareness on the part of the driver it seems.

So weird to see a 10+ year old topic brought back from the dead.

But, on topic, here in Germany car drivers are pretty careful, everybody knows their rules and everybody respects them. Of course, from time to time you get an idiot who's an idiot by nature, but those people stands out because... Well, they're idiots.