{Worldwide} BikeBUS - Bike BUG for Commuters

rooman said:
not on BV's web pages please...at this stage anyway...down the track maybe..let's get it right first and then share to all ...no reason why it cant be aired in the BV forums tho'... and if BV decides to run with it fine for BV and BV's members , as trhis is for all cyclists who commute or want to join the bus..... but not all commuters are BV members or want to be..

Well I'm not a BV member, but even non-BV members may associate the BV website with information for cyclists because of their high profile. It's where I would expect a fairly large number ofpeople to go looking for that sort of information.

rooman said:
not on BV's web pages please...at this stage anyway...down the track maybe..let's get it right first and then share to all ...no reason why it cant be aired in the BV forums tho'... and if BV decides to run with it fine for BV and BV's members , as trhis is for all cyclists who commute or want to join the bus..... but not all commuters are BV members or want to be..

Well I'm not a BV member, but even non-BV members may associate the BV website with information for cyclists because of their high profile. It's where I would expect a fairly large number ofpeople to go looking for that sort of information.

cfsmtb said:
nice structure to plan routes for LA County and around LA areas...

doent show local BUS type activities where routes are set up and timetabled for riders to join on commute..

shows marked bike lanes and bike streets throughout LA.

good overall community builder...some clues for us in layout and content direction...

very positive...and LA needs every positive cycling tool it can get...its a nightmare to ride a bike there on commute...

cfsmtb said:
nice structure to plan routes for LA County and around LA areas...

doent show local BUS type activities where routes are set up and timetabled for riders to join on commute..

shows marked bike lanes and bike streets throughout LA.

good overall community builder...some clues for us in layout and content direction...

very positive...and LA needs every positive cycling tool it can get...its a nightmare to ride a bike there on commute...

Resound said:
Sure many do look at BV's site who are not members...and that is a big plus for them and us all, however there are "reasons" it shouldnt be a BV web page as such specifically at this stage...( but they could link to it by all means and that would be encouraged)

...and certainly on the BV forums and regular updates to all forum readers by all means, and its a great place to call for contributions, interaction and to promote links to the "site "where it is hosted...

WoJ and YarraBUG do not allow other organisations to control content, likewise BV has specific protocols over its content and thus...until that is such that a level of comfort and confidence is agreed, it should stay with the proponents here and so Resound, please, we love your offer and lets talk on moving forward to ensure the best content and the best structure...all contributions welcome...

Resound said:
Sure many do look at BV's site who are not members...and that is a big plus for them and us all, however there are "reasons" it shouldnt be a BV web page as such specifically at this stage...( but they could link to it by all means and that would be encouraged)

...and certainly on the BV forums and regular updates to all forum readers by all means, and its a great place to call for contributions, interaction and to promote links to the "site "where it is hosted...

WoJ and YarraBUG do not allow other organisations to control content, likewise BV has specific protocols over its content and thus...until that is such that a level of comfort and confidence is agreed, it should stay with the proponents here and so Resound, please, we love your offer and lets talk on moving forward to ensure the best content and the best structure...all contributions welcome...

rooman said:

Ok, that's a fair reason. I was wondering why you didn't want to go ahead with talking to BV on this and now I know. I'm definitely not going to wedge myself into an executive role with regards to this - I'm not suited to it and it's not my baby. I'll help out with WOJ wherre I can, but I know it's going to be around the edges of other commitments which is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to put my hand up for big stuff.

rooman said:

Ok, that's a fair reason. I was wondering why you didn't want to go ahead with talking to BV on this and now I know. I'm definitely not going to wedge myself into an executive role with regards to this - I'm not suited to it and it's not my baby. I'll help out with WOJ wherre I can, but I know it's going to be around the edges of other commitments which is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to put my hand up for big stuff.

Resound said:
Ok,......snip.....

I'll help out with WOJ wherre I can, but I know it's going to be around the edges of other commitments which is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to put my hand up for big stuff.
That's cool, maybe work on building your own BikeBUS for starters...keep all in the loop and report in , as it were on how you are going...any more would be great...this goes for anyone else too, all contributions help us build this with a great momentum and allows us to maintain our advocacy roles in WoJ, YarraBUG, ROS and other BUGs and "places" ...

many thanks in advance for any contribution no matter how large or small...

any effort to raise awareness for cycling safety, enjoyment and community benefit is a plus...

Resound said:
Ok,......snip.....

I'll help out with WOJ wherre I can, but I know it's going to be around the edges of other commitments which is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to put my hand up for big stuff.
That's cool, maybe work on building your own BikeBUS for starters...keep all in the loop and report in , as it were on how you are going...any more would be great...this goes for anyone else too, all contributions help us build this with a great momentum and allows us to maintain our advocacy roles in WoJ, YarraBUG, ROS and other BUGs and "places" ...

many thanks in advance for any contribution no matter how large or small...

any effort to raise awareness for cycling safety, enjoyment and community benefit is a plus...

rooman wrote:
> Resound Wrote:
> > Ok,......snip.....
> >
> > I'll help out with WOJ wherre I can, but I know it's going to be around
> > the edges of other commitments which is one of the reasons I'm reluctant
> > to put my hand up for big stuff.That's cool, maybe work on building your own BikeBUS for starters...keep

> all in the loop and report in , as it were on how you are going...any
> more would be great...this goes for anyone else too, all contributions
> help us build this with a great momentum and allows us to maintain our
> advocacy roles in WoJ, YarraBUG, ROS and other BUGs and "places" ...
>
> many thanks in advance for any contribution no matter how large or
> small...
>
> any effort to raise awareness for cycling safety, enjoyment and
> community benefit is a plus...

Can I suggest that you have a play with a CMS, something like Plone or
similar (plone is good and free!), so you can have distributed
contributions/organisers/whatever. Have a look at plone.org to see
what it is if you're not familiar with it. One of the challenges you
face is publicity - how do those that might ride, know that these
bunches exist and where they are? And once you get past that stage,
you need some way to delegate organisers/co-ordinators in a central
place - which is where a CMS is v.handy.

In conjunction with bikely, and some work, you may be able to do
something useful.

Blogs etc suck for organised content. CMS's are, on the other hand,
ideal.

rooman wrote:
> Resound Wrote:
> > Ok,......snip.....
> >
> > I'll help out with WOJ wherre I can, but I know it's going to be around
> > the edges of other commitments which is one of the reasons I'm reluctant
> > to put my hand up for big stuff.That's cool, maybe work on building your own BikeBUS for starters...keep

> all in the loop and report in , as it were on how you are going...any
> more would be great...this goes for anyone else too, all contributions
> help us build this with a great momentum and allows us to maintain our
> advocacy roles in WoJ, YarraBUG, ROS and other BUGs and "places" ...
>
> many thanks in advance for any contribution no matter how large or
> small...
>
> any effort to raise awareness for cycling safety, enjoyment and
> community benefit is a plus...

Can I suggest that you have a play with a CMS, something like Plone or
similar (plone is good and free!), so you can have distributed
contributions/organisers/whatever. Have a look at plone.org to see
what it is if you're not familiar with it. One of the challenges you
face is publicity - how do those that might ride, know that these
bunches exist and where they are? And once you get past that stage,
you need some way to delegate organisers/co-ordinators in a central
place - which is where a CMS is v.handy.

In conjunction with bikely, and some work, you may be able to do
something useful.

ideal.

Bleve said:
ideal.

Not if using a Wordpress platform. Tres easy to categorise stuff & independant pages.

Bleve said:
ideal.

Not if using a Wordpress platform. Tres easy to categorise stuff & independant pages.