worn floor pump

Dansmeyers

Guest
I've got a Blackburn Trakpump (Sport model) that no longer creates enough air pressure to adequatly
inflate my tires. I removed the cap covering the top of the pump to look at what's going on inside.
Sorry for not knowing the correct part name, but the "plunger" at the end of the shaft connected to
the handle seems to be worn out. After calling Blackburn, they couldn't figure out what I needed and
told me to send the whole pump in. This is not handy since I'll be without a pump for up to two
weeks. Two questions: what is the correct shape of the "plunger" supposed to be? Is there another
way to solve this problem?

Thanks for your suggestions, Dan

[email protected] (DanSMeyers) wrote in news:[email protected]:
> for not knowing the correct part name, but the "plunger" at the end of the shaft connected to the
> handle seems to be worn out.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the rod or the washer, but you can often rejuvinate the washer
with a little grease.

<<I'm not sure if you're talking about the rod or the washer>>

it's the washer. Mine seems to be frayed along the outer edge and somewhat flatish. What kind
of grease?

Dan

[email protected] (DanSMeyers) wrote in news:20030410194453.08820.00000696 @mb-fj.news.cs.com:
> it's the washer. Mine seems to be frayed along the outer edge and somewhat flatish. What kind
> of grease?

If it's a rubber washer, you probably need to replace it. If it's a leather washer, grease works
well. I usually use the same synthetic grease I use on my bearings. I've also heard that Vaseline
works well.

You need to splay it back out, by working it between your fingers. Then grease, and it may have some
life left.

It's pretty easy to get these for some pumps (Silca!) at your LBS, usually just a few cents. I'm
sure you can purchase one from Blackburn for similar.

-pete

news:[email protected]...