worn out allen key hole on saddle attachment

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
I have adjusted my selle smp saddle so often that the allen key, erm, orifice, is worn out somewhat, and the allen key no longer "bites"

anyone know a good solution?

At the moment I have a 200 euro saddle stuck on the end of a snapped carbon seatpost, and it's giving me the right hump!

The clamp bolt can be carefully cut in some seat designs by a small cut-off wheel/hacksaw blade or drilled away in others. The exposed end may be partially drilled and an EZY-Out or screw extractor used to remove the remaining threaded portion.

If the bolt is on the snapped post is trashed already so you can't do any more damage to it. If the bolt is on a good seat post it will have to be replaced after careful removal.

Use care not to nick the seat rails and create a stress riser.

First, I would try using a new allen key with nice straight edges. Make sure the key is fully seated and maybe even lightly hammer it into the bolt head. Turn out slowly and deliberately.

Second, try lightly hammering in a comparable sized torx bit, a slightly larger SAE/metric allen key, or even a flat blade screwdriver. You'll probably destroy the tool, but you might also turn out the bolt.

Third, local bike shop.