Worried about my air shock

dtm

Sep 1, 2006
How tightly screwed or fixed ? into the top cap of the rear shock is the damper rod on a rock shox BAR rear shock, have they ever been known to loosen ? Is it percievable that they can come loose by turning the damper body within the main unit. I have been led to believe that the top of the damper rod is pretty much permanantly fixed into the top of the unit and cannot easily or accidentaly come undone, by vibration or more importantly by turning the damper within the unit (which is quite hard to turn but I guess that is the seals holding the damper body ?) But I have never investigated (or wish to) the inside of a Rock shox air shock unit, so just wanted to know, so hopefully I dont have to open it up and check the tightness of the rod/top cap fixing. I had to turn the the damper body with in the air can to get it to line up to fit in my bike and now I am paranoid that by turning it I would have inadvertantly unscrewed the damper rod on a new scock if its not that tight.

Plus, the resistance I feel when turning the two parts is that mainly the seals where the damper body goes into the air can or is it the seals where the damper rod goes into the damper body?

Thanks for any advice