Worried about Sinus Arrhythmias and skipped beats...

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Will, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Hello! I'm a 31 year old male with sinus arrhythmias and skipped beats. It was explained by my
    cardiologist that this is not a life threatening condition. However, every night for the past 2
    months, just as I was drifting off to sleep for an average of about 2 hours, my heart feels very
    strange. It feels like it's palipitating, and it can get quite scary because there's nothing I
    can do to stop it. Not fast. Just irregular. Although most of my symptoms occur at night just
    before slipping off to sleep, I feel a difference during the day too. I try not to exert myself
    during the day because I'm scared of testing my heart. I've been recording the events on a Micro
    ER event monitor, and still the cardiologist says there's nothing wrong. Is there a vitamin I can
    take or some other kind of therapy that would help get to sleep without this unpleasantness?
    Right now I'm taking fish oil for the heart because I understand it is helpful for many things,
    including the heart.

    This is exactly what my cardiologist said to me via email:

    "William, I have received 7 transmissions so far with the last being from 2/29 at 10:32pm. On review
    of these, there are no arrhythmias. During the time you felt palpitations you were in a normal heart
    rhythm. Occasionally it is possible that people sense their heartbeat even when it is in the normal
    rhythm. This can feel like arrhythmia but is not. Occasional "extra beats" or "skipped beats" are
    also normal and may be felt as palpitations but are not worrisome. "Sinus arrhythmia" is a term that
    applies to a normal phenomenom and means that the heart is not 100% regular (like a metronome). All
    people have sinus arrhythmia to varying degrees and it is not associated with any abnormality.
    Overall, I think you should be reassurred by the information we have so far. I am happy to keep
    reviewing the transmissions if you continue to have symptoms and hope that it will reassure you."

    As you can tell, he's a kick-ass cardiologist in the fact that he tries to explain and comfort his
    patients. Every doctor should be so concerned. However, deeper informatioun would be helpful. Maybe
    a citation to something I can read to educate myself would be appreciated. Thanks!

    Will

    Tags:

  2. Elva4

    Elva4 Guest

  3. Will wrote:

    > Hello! I'm a 31 year old male with sinus arrhythmias and skipped beats. It was explained by my
    > cardiologist that this is not a life threatening condition. However, every night for the past 2
    > months, just as I was drifting off to sleep for an average of about 2 hours, my heart feels very
    > strange. It feels like it's palipitating, and it can get quite scary because there's nothing I
    > can do to stop it. Not fast. Just irregular. Although most of my symptoms occur at night just
    > before slipping off to sleep, I feel a difference during the day too. I try not to exert myself
    > during the day because I'm scared of testing my heart. I've been recording the events on a Micro
    > ER event monitor, and still the cardiologist says there's nothing wrong. Is there a vitamin I can
    > take or some other kind of therapy that would help get to sleep without this unpleasantness?
    > Right now I'm taking fish oil for the heart because I understand it is helpful for many things,
    > including the heart.
    >
    > This is exactly what my cardiologist said to me via email:
    >
    > "William, I have received 7 transmissions so far with the last being from 2/29 at 10:32pm. On
    > review of these, there are no arrhythmias. During the time you felt palpitations you were in a
    > normal heart rhythm. Occasionally it is possible that people sense their heartbeat even when it is
    > in the normal rhythm. This can feel like arrhythmia but is not. Occasional "extra beats" or
    > "skipped beats" are also normal and may be felt as palpitations but are not worrisome. "Sinus
    > arrhythmia" is a term that applies to a normal phenomenom and means that the heart is not 100%
    > regular (like a metronome). All people have sinus arrhythmia to varying degrees and it is not
    > associated with any abnormality. Overall, I think you should be reassurred by the information we
    > have so far. I am happy to keep reviewing the transmissions if you continue to have symptoms and
    > hope that it will reassure you."
    >
    > As you can tell, he's a kick-ass cardiologist in the fact that he tries to explain and comfort his
    > patients. Every doctor should be so concerned. However, deeper informatioun would be helpful.
    > Maybe a citation to something I can read to educate myself would be appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > Will

    Why don't you email your cardiologist back exactly what you have posted here?

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?A26B16397

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  4. listener

    listener Guest

    On 2 Mar 2004 10:58:44 -0800, [email protected] (Will) wrote:

    >Hello! I'm a 31 year old male with sinus arrhythmias and skipped beats. It was explained by my
    >cardiologist that this is not a life threatening condition. However, every night for the past 2
    >months, just as I was drifting off to sleep for an average of about 2 hours, my heart feels very
    >strange. It feels like it's palipitating, and it can get quite scary because there's nothing I
    >can do to stop it. Not fast. Just irregular. Although most of my symptoms occur at night just
    >before slipping off to sleep, I feel a difference during the day too. I try not to exert myself
    >during the day because I'm scared of testing my heart. I've been recording the events on a Micro
    >ER event monitor, and still the cardiologist says there's nothing wrong. Is there a vitamin I can
    >take or some other kind of therapy that would help get to sleep without this unpleasantness?
    >Right now I'm taking fish oil for the heart because I understand it is helpful for many things,
    >including the heart.

    You could try taking magnesuim (I take chelated mag (glycinate) from Solgar), which has helped my
    skipped beats in the past. Try cutting out triggers, like coffee, alchohol, stress (that's a tough
    one!) and see what happens. You might just be experiencing anxiety rather than actual arrhythmia.

    >As you can tell, he's a kick-ass cardiologist in the fact that he tries to explain and comfort his
    >patients. Every doctor should be so concerned. However, deeper informatioun would be helpful. Maybe
    >a citation to something I can read to educate myself would be appreciated. Thanks!

    You've probably done this but if you do a Yahoo search on Sinus Arrhythmia you'll find a lot of
    interesting reading material!

    L.

  5. Will

    Will Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message > >

    > You could try taking magnesuim (I take chelated mag (glycinate) from Solgar), which has helped my
    > skipped beats in the past. Try cutting out triggers, like coffee, alchohol, stress (that's a tough
    > one!) and see what happens. You might just be experiencing anxiety rather than actual arrhythmia.

    That's an excellent idea! I just realized yesterday after posting this that my diet is very low in
    magnesium because I avoid certain foods due to my Irritible bowel syndrome. I started to supplement
    last night and guess what? No palipitations! I hope it's not placebo effect or something like that.
    But, definitely, magnesium is going to be supplemented in my diet from now on because it couldn't
    hurt. Thanks for the suggestion listener!

    Will

  6. Pete C.

    Pete C. Guest

    I suggest quit worrying about your heart and get on with your life! I have PVCs which freaked me out
    when I noticed them (at night in bed). I was obsessed with the problem but quit worrying when the
    cardiologist ran tests and explained things to me.

  7. listener

    listener Guest

    On 4 Mar 2004 07:44:06 -0800, [email protected] (Pete C.) wrote:

    >I suggest quit worrying about your heart and get on with your life! I have PVCs which freaked me
    >out when I noticed them (at night in bed). I was obsessed with the problem but quit worrying when
    >the cardiologist ran tests and explained things to me.

    I agree that once you've been fully checked out by your physician and shown to have no underlying
    serious condition, it's time to move on to other things. Sometimes the anxiety only exacerbates the
    condition.

    L.

  8. Will

    Will Guest

    Guys, Look. Since I started taking the magnesium, I've been feeling much better. Had I not looked
    into this problem and solved it, who knows what would have happened because of my magnesium
    deficency. Sometimes the ostrich is not right. I'm glad it seems I've solved this problem. You
    should be glad too because we're all in this together. And if you aren't glad for me, as Conan the
    Barbarian says, "Then to hell with you!" lol. Take it easy guys, and may all your heart problems be
    ameliorated. Peace.

    Will

    > On 4 Mar 2004 07:44:06 -0800, [email protected] (Pete C.) wrote:
    >
    > >I suggest quit worrying about your heart and get on with your life! I have PVCs which freaked me
    > >out when I noticed them (at night in bed). I was obsessed with the problem but quit worrying when
    > >the cardiologist ran tests and explained things to me.
    >
    > I agree that once you've been fully checked out by your physician and shown to have no underlying
    > serious condition, it's time to move on to other things. Sometimes the anxiety only exacerbates
    > the condition.
    >

    > L.

  9. listener

    listener Guest

    On 5 Mar 2004 12:52:13 -0800, [email protected] (Will) wrote:

    >Guys, Look. Since I started taking the magnesium, I've been
    >feeling much better. Had I not looked into this problem and
    >solved it, who knows what would have happened because of my
    >magnesium deficency. Sometimes the ostrich is not right.
    >I'm glad it seems I've solved this problem. You should be
    >glad too because we're all in this together. And if you
    >aren't glad for me, as Conan the Barbarian says, "Then to
    >hell with you!" lol. Take it easy guys, and may all your
    >heart problems be ameliorated. Peace.

    Will,

    I'm very glad that the magnesium helped.

    I was just saying that it's important to rule out any
    possible underlying, perhaps more serious, issues when it
    comes to the heart.

    One doesn't negate the other.

    L.