Worst Bike Shipping Experience

FeltF45

Jun 15, 2004
I am going to a cycling camp in a couple of weeks. I need to fly down and I am thinking about taking it with me on the plane. Does anyone have any horror stories, or is this a pretty safe thing to do? My bike is my baby and I do not want to take any unnesessary risks. Any input would be appreciated.

This is a really good question, I too am going to be flying for the first time using my United vouchers...

I would also like to know how to make that first time flying a breeze!

Thanks

FeltF45 said:
I am going to a cycling camp in a couple of weeks. I need to fly down and I am thinking about taking it with me on the plane. Does anyone have any horror stories, or is this a pretty safe thing to do? My bike is my baby and I do not want to take any unnesessary risks. Any input would be appreciated.
I rented a Trico Iron case and flew United on a trip I took to Texas last year. No issues to report whatsoever and they didn't charge me for an oversized package. :cool:

I bought a bike bag from nashbar to transport my bike whento London with me. The bike bag is flimsy, no padding or anything, so I obviously knew this wasn't the right idea, but it was cheap after all. Took my wheels off the frame, wrapped everything up in a blanket and stuffed it in the big bag. When I looked in my bag once I got it back I discovered that my break was offcenter, and though at first, actually for the entire trip, that my handlebar was bent, but it was just that I needed to slide my break back into place! This pulled on my shifter cables enough so my shifting was off the entire trip too! What a stupid mistake, and if you can get anything out of this post, it's to not make that one. Anyway, on the way back the guy at the check-in counter for my return flight offered me a safer option for my bike free of charge, so I did that and had less problems than on the way there. They shipped it with all the other oddly sized/"special" packages, might want to ask if they can do the same for you.

So my flimsy Nashbar Bike Bag worked like a charm after all.

I've never flown with my bike before but maybe you could rent a bike from a bike shop in the area you're going to.;)

In 1999 on my way back home from "Ride the Rockies" UPS lost my Litespeed Ultimate. When they learned the replacement cost along with the hard case and all the accessories they looked a little harder and found it, several weeks later. :eek: