Worst bike shops in Melbourne?

patch70

Jun 19, 2003
Start off with some absolutely **** advice given to me by Swim Bike Run in St Kilda. "There is no use taking a bike for a test ride because all bikes feel the same".

Or another pearl from Mascot Cycles in Bridge Road, Richmond. "Mavic wheels are not compatible with Campagnolo equipment".

patch70 said:
Start off with some absolutely **** advice given to me by Swim Bike Run in St Kilda. "There is no use taking a bike for a test ride because all bikes feel the same".

Or another pearl from Mascot Cycles in Bridge Road, Richmond. "Mavic wheels are not compatible with Campagnolo equipment".

ROFL...

Ha ha! This sort of stuff isn't uncommon, and it comes from people who try their best to make you feel like an idiot as soon as you walk in the door.

I wander into most bike shops in passing (just to smell the rubber, grease and whatever bikes smell of). During a visit to Sydney I did walked into one with my wife who was interested in a SUB bike.

The enthusiastic sales KID proceeds to try and sell me a large bike (my wife is 5ft nothing) by telling me he would swap the stem for a shorter one and lower the saddle...and... "it's made with the new bike material!!!!" he enthused. ""it doesn't look like carbon fibre to me" I said.... "no, no no, it's aluminium.... that's the newest material for bikes..."

patch70 said:

Been ages since I've posted on this site - BV forum is down at the moment so thought I'd have a squiz.

I was surprised that Mascot Cycles would give crappy advice - so I checked the interweb and found this about 11 speed Campag incompatibility with Mavic wheels built before Aug '08.

http://unioncycle.blogspot.com/2008/11/campagnolo-11-speed-cassette.html

Perhaps Mascot are only guilty of not qualifying the above statement to you.

jazmo said:
Been ages since I've posted on this site - BV forum is down at the moment so thought I'd have a squiz.
Was this topic done on the BV forum a while ago? I think it was.

One of my mates was less than satisfied with his Mascot-built bike.

531Aussie said:
Was this topic done on the BV forum a while ago? I think it was.

Yeah, it's probably been done several times on the BV forum.

jazmo said:

I was surprised that Mascot Cycles would give crappy advice - so I checked the interweb and found this about 11 speed Campag incompatibility with Mavic wheels built before Aug '08.

Perhaps Mascot are only guilty of not qualifying the above statement to you.
They told me this in 2003.

The SBR guy who told me that "all bikes feel the same" also said that no shops selling high end bikes allowed test rides. I told him that I'd just taken a Colnago EPS with Super Record for a test ride at another shop. He then said that there was no point taking a Colnago for a test ride as "they'd all feel sh!t". Slight contradiction to his previous statement...

It cracks me up when shops tell you that what ever bikes they currently stock are "the best bikes", then, ya go back 2 years later; they've ditched those brands for (predominantly) another 2 or 3 different brands, and they're like: "nah, those bikes we had weren't that good -- these bikes are the best bikes." :)

I bought my 4th bike (Scapin) at Mascot Cycles and I love it. At this shop you get friendly honest advice and service. Perhaps you didn't ask the right question!

Originally Posted by fastgal .

I bought my 4th bike (Scapin) at Mascot Cycles and I love it. At this shop you get friendly honest advice and service. Perhaps you didn't ask the right question!
Did you join here to pump up Mascot? :) Fair enough. Did this old thread show up on Google?

Hey, is that Blucher bloke still there? He once told me that he won a bunch of time trials, but I couldn't find his name anywhere when I Googled him :)