worst crash!

ALAN OBRIEN

Jan 23, 2004
whats the worst crash you've ever had? damage to youself, your bike or caused others to crash?

Originally posted by ALAN OBRIEN
whats the worst crash you've ever had? damage to youself, your bike or caused others to crash?

repost yours, i think you win

Originally posted by fushman
repost yours, i think you win

ok, 15 years ago i had my worst crash ever. i was coming down a hill on my favourite training ride, it was a nice day, nice and warm but not too hot. i was about half a mile from the end of the hill and going quite nicely (48mph) when i saw a tennis ball bouncing out onto the road about 20 yards in front of me. at that speed i didnt have time to react too much so the ball hit my front wheel. for a second i thought i was ok, the next thing i know i wake up in hospital, feeling quite uncomfortable, and a doctor is standing over me, he tells me ive had a substantial accident and that ive broken 17 bones, including both my legs and arms and afracture to my eye socket and cheek bone. he said i was found unconcious in a ditch and didnt know how long i was there, he also said that it looked like i had hit the ground just above my eye and if i hadnt been wearing my hardshell, i most probably would have been killed!
i am now a firm believer in helmets and wouldnt dare get on the bikr without one. i wouldnt have my 3 kids, i wouldnt have my wife and i most certainly would not be able to write this today.
anyway, thats my story, i can only say that i hope the same never happens again, to myself or any other cyclist, im only back on the bike about a year and i hope i never have to be too far away from it again for any length of time.

That....was bad.
Girls can relate to this one though...I am about 5'3" and a few yrs. ago decided to try out my 6' cousins fixed gear. Hauled balls for a mile or so then realized there were no brakes. Not so bad, I've go time I'll just use my feet to stop..... then a second before the pain hits I remembered....Its a boy's bike!

I agree with the wearing a helmet all the time there I never ride without one, I fell off about 4 years ago and the damage done to the helmet was so bad I thought thank god that wasn't my head I always spend a good amount on them too :)