Worst example of a stuck pedal!

wugga

Jul 19, 2005
Folks,

Maybe a littel extra insight on a stuck pedal would help. Here's the issue .... trying to remove a stuck left pedal. Yes, I am attempting to remove the correct way. And I have been removing and installing pedals for almost 20 years. So far, I have destroyed a Spin Dr. pedal wrench and a crescent wrench! Tried heat, penetrating oil ....... Any other ideas out there???????? Its my winter bike and I really don't want to invest in a new crank (about to though) :mad:

wugga said:
Folks,

Maybe a littel extra insight on a stuck pedal would help. Here's the issue .... trying to remove a stuck left pedal. Yes, I am attempting to remove the correct way. And I have been removing and installing pedals for almost 20 years. So far, I have destroyed a Spin Dr. pedal wrench and a crescent wrench! Tried heat, penetrating oil ....... Any other ideas out there???????? Its my winter bike and I really don't want to invest in a new crank (about to though) :mad:
Sounds like you need to try one of those wrenches that hooks into an air compressor and has an impact effect (like a machine gun) on the bolt. I've used these before on stuck bolts and have had very good luck. If you know a car mechanic or somebody who has an air gun, they could probably pop the pedal off in a jiffy. I'm assuming your pedals have an allen hole on the back side.

Several kilo- or if you're really angry, mega--watts of coherent light focused on the nasty little bolt. Or you could get a shop to EDM the bolt. A run w/ EDM would prolly run ya in the area of 100 bucks.

You could use heat (sparingly), from a heat gun which looks like a hair dryer. The use of any type of air-inpact wrench would probably result in very bad consequences. It is best to use a thin open end wrench like craftsmen or snap-on. If all else fails break down and pay a shop who will assume any liability.

Thanks,

I think the shop is the best way to go.
freesok said:
You could use heat (sparingly), from a heat gun which looks like a hair dryer. The use of any type of air-inpact wrench would probably result in very bad consequences. It is best to use a thin open end wrench like craftsmen or snap-on. If all else fails break down and pay a shop who will assume any liability.

wugga said:
Thanks,

I think the shop is the best way to go.
Ah, this is why we kept a 1.5m length of pipe at the LBS I worked at. There wasn't much that you couldn't move with that much leverage :)