Worst fear in hitting the road

Kakashi

Feb 3, 2018
My worst fear when road cycling are drunk drivers. I've been hit once luckily it was just a motorcycle and not a truck. I know several riders who got hit by cars and SUV's and they where left with scars all over their body and face. I've also heard acquaintances getting severely injured even dying from getting hit by a car who's driver is drunk.

I agree that encountering a drunk driver is a great risk. But what I'm most afraid of are those drivers whose intention is to taunt riders, be they cyclists or motorcyclists. Most of those mischievous drivers are young and they were probably doing it for fun. And when something bad happens, they would speed away and investigators will face a blank wall because that car was using a fake car plate. Most victims are riders of motorcycles but I know that cyclists are not spared.

Usually it’s just cars passing like less than 2 feet of me (aka they are breaking the law) It’s scary 40mph is that close to me. Drunk driving isn’t my biggest fesr but more drowsy driving as I cycle from 5:30 to 7am

I'd say, they unexpected on a descend. I'm definitely a safety first descender, but have almost crashed on a descend on a few occasions. Once was when I first started riding. I took a steep descend too fast and did a tilt 15 degrees or so from the road surface....yikes. The other 2 times happened due to rain. I was doing a bike tour on one of them and it started pouring. I broke before I needed to, but the brakes just wouldn't stop the bike. As the descend is almost over, I unclip and used my foot to slow myself down.

My real fear on descends is, a driver turning into the road without paying attention, or an animal entering the road. I've had close calls with Deer before while riding.

I think the animals, specially the dogs. A lot of dogs in our streets specially at night when I used to use my bike. Sometimes they chase me and keeps barking and looks like they calling for the other dogs to bite me.

I think the animals, specially the dogs. A lot of dogs in our streets specially at night when I used to use my bike. Sometimes they chase me and keeps barking and looks like they calling for the other dogs to bite me.

A dog took me out about 2 years ago. Fractured Pelvis and 2 months on crutches.

Yeah, I've experienced gerting chased by stray dogs and the worst thing about it is they usually chase you in packs and it's really scary because they really run fast and if they corner me then I'll probably get bitten or worst mangled. That's why I always carry a slim retractable baton for protection.

Yeah, I've experienced gerting chased by stray dogs and the worst thing about it is they usually chase you in packs and it's really scary because they really run fast and if they corner me then I'll probably get bitten or worst mangled. That's why I always carry a slim retractable baton for protection.

A bite is nothing. Just don't get one under your wheel.

I have a fairly strong disdain for semi-trucks. I live in Eastern Europe where everyone and their grandmother is corrupt, so a lot of the truck drivers here skimp on paying highway tolls by simply driving through rural towns. I mean it’s technically not illegal in any way but unless you’re making a delivery here (trust me, 90% aren’t and are just passing through to another country) you really shouldn’t be driving through our small-town roads.

The point being, any time I hear or see a truck coming my way, I instantly pull over and wait for it to pass. I’ve seen too many cyclists online get slightly bumped and go under the wheels.

Yeah, I'm just afraid of other people being irresponsible when driving that there's basically nothing I can do about it if they want to drive straight through me.

And the worst thing about that when there's another group of dogs waiting for you on the other side, you don't even know if you're going to stop or just speed up your pedals because there's still a group of dogs keep chasing behind you.

A dog took me out about 2 years ago. Fractured Pelvis and 2 months on crutches.
How about the injection for anti rabies? They didn't bit you? I was once bitten by dogs, and got 4 to 5 injections every session to avoid the rabies infection, that's why I really hate the stray dog, aside from that, it's hard to know and find the dog's owner.

My worst fear when road cycling are drunk drivers. I've been hit once luckily it was just a motorcycle and not a truck. I know several riders who got hit by cars and SUV's and they where left with scars all over their body and face. I've also heard acquaintances getting severely injured even dying from getting hit by a car who's driver is drunk.
I suppose I have to wonder what time you're cycling. Drunks are normally on the roads late at night and aren't a problem during daylight hours. No matter what cycling is STILL the safest means of transportation and is significantly safer than walking. This is due to the fact that you remain in dangerous areas (crossing busy intersections etc.) far less time.

There are some streets in our village that I avoid because of the loose dogs that are scary because they seem to bite people. Rabies is fatal and just one dog bite can make you rabid. There is an ordinance here that prohibits stray dogs but the city pound is not checking on our village so the dogs are still there.

Now that's just scary. I really don't like the idea of accidents. So we better be careful when riding outside. You never who's been drinking lots.

I agree that encountering a drunk driver is a great risk. But what I'm most afraid of are those drivers whose intention is to taunt riders, be they cyclists or motorcyclists. Most of those mischievous drivers are young and they were probably doing it for fun. And when something bad happens, they would speed away and investigators will face a blank wall because that car was using a fake car plate. Most victims are riders of motorcycles but I know that cyclists are not spared.

And it's scarier to be nearby when that happens. Because you're a witness to something unfortunate. You better pedal fast if that happens. We don't want to become the next Scene Of the Crime Operative. :eek::D

Reactions: Corzhens
I'd say, they unexpected on a descend. I'm definitely a safety first descender, but have almost crashed on a descend on a few occasions. Once was when I first started riding. I took a steep descend too fast and did a tilt 15 degrees or so from the road surface....yikes. The other 2 times happened due to rain. I was doing a bike tour on one of them and it started pouring. I broke before I needed to, but the brakes just wouldn't stop the bike. As the descend is almost over, I unclip and used my foot to slow myself down.

My real fear on descends is, a driver turning into the road without paying attention, or an animal entering the road. I've had close calls with Deer before while riding.

Yikes. Sounds too realistic. There's always that danger when it comes to riding descend. I don't really take chances with that for fear of my life. Hahaha! :D

I also had a close call experience. I really don't like it when dogs catch my attention. It's not nice. They usually bark a lot. My advice is to consider stopping and not running. Because trying to speed away could be the wrong move.

I also had a close call experience. I really don't like it when dogs catch my attention. It's not nice. They usually bark a lot. My advice is to consider stopping and not running. Because trying to speed away could be the wrong move.
Yeah, I used to do that. I'm a dog lover and I know how to approach them, but at night, it hard to see them and you will just notice them when they started to bark and chased you.

There are some streets in our village that I avoid because of the loose dogs that are scary because they seem to bite people. Rabies is fatal and just one dog bite can make you rabid. There is an ordinance here that prohibits stray dogs but the city pound is not checking on our village so the dogs are still there.
This is the problem sometimes, the officials waited for the worst thing before doing the proper action. Injection from anti rabies costs a lot and really time consuming to keep coming back for the session, and stray dogs probably rabies carrier.

Reactions: Corzhens