Worst fear in hitting the road

Yeah, I used to do that. I'm a dog lover and I know how to approach them, but at night, it hard to see them and you will just notice them when they started to bark and chased you.

I consider myself very lucky at that time. I didn't even know what to do. I just stopped out of instinct. I also thought that not moving could be effective. I'm grateful that it was. :)

This is the problem sometimes, the officials waited for the worst thing before doing the proper action. Injection from anti rabies costs a lot and really time consuming to keep coming back for the session, and stray dogs probably rabies carrier.

That's true. I really don't like seeing them outside. While they may appear harmless, you can never tell when some of them could react badly. It's much safer if they weren't there to potentially harm people passing by.

I'd say, the unexpected on a descend. I'm definitely a safety first descender, but have almost crashed on a descend on a few occasions. Once was when I first started riding. I took a steep descend too fast and did a tilt 15 degrees or so from the road surface....yikes.

My real fear on descends is, a driver turning into the road without paying attention, or an animal entering the road. I've had close calls with Deer before while riding.

Two weeks ago on a mountain decent i hit something, and front tire popped. I immediately tried to brake rear wheel but next thing I remember was slidding on pavement. It was a gentle right turn and could have been much worse if a vehicle was coming up in opposite lane, or i left road bed so i wasn't easily spotted. Long story short, broken collar bone, 8 broken ribs, punctured lung, huge hemotobian (softball size bump) on thigh, one broken vertebra, road rash. Week in hospital, mostly insurace company fighting stay in rehab until I could at least get out of bed on my own. By far, the ribs hurt the most.

So now I have go with "the unexpected on a descend"

There are many things to be fearful of...cars and trucks, people on their cell phones not paying attention, people towing loads that are wider than their vehicle, poor road conditions, poor visibility, rain and slippery conditions, having to ride at night, young drivers, old drivers, taxi drivers, people drinking, pedestrians not paying attention, other cyclists, winter conditions, and having your bike break apart underneath you.

There are probably many others. Kinda makes me think twice about riding if I think too much about it.

For me so far....numerous crashes, three broken helmets, hit by cars three times, broken femur, broken collarbone, light concussion and likely a cracked rib or two.

That's true. I really don't like seeing them outside. While they may appear harmless, you can never tell when some of them could react badly. It's much safer if they weren't there to potentially harm people passing by.
I just wondering why rabies carrier needs to bit the person first before they die, because we need to observe the dog who bit us right? and if the dog dies it probably rabies carrier. Why they don't just die before bitten us. I think we are the rabies carrier and not the dogs. LOL :)

I consider myself very lucky at that time. I didn't even know what to do. I just stopped out of instinct. I also thought that not moving could be effective. I'm grateful that it was. :)
Yeah, by not moving and calling them will help a lot, and if they're still barking at you, you should shout at them to know who's the real alpha. They're territorial animals, they're just protecting their base.

Yeah, I'm just afraid of other people being irresponsible when driving that there's basically nothing I can do about it if they want to drive straight through me.
They're the reason why wanted to buy sports camera for my bike, to prove how irresponsible the other drivers specially the drunk drivers. It's hard to prove that in a simple conversation and argument.

Yeah, by not moving and calling them will help a lot, and if they're still barking at you, you should shout at them to know who's the real alpha. They're territorial animals, they're just protecting their base.

Mine was probably a case of them finding someone outside. Stray dogs aren't always violent. They're simply curious at times. So maybe by not doing something to set them off, I avoided being their target. Just standing could work if the dog's not really violent to begin with. :)

There are many things to be fearful of...cars and trucks, people on their cell phones not paying attention, people towing loads that are wider than their vehicle, poor road conditions, poor visibility, rain and slippery conditions, having to ride at night, young drivers, old drivers, taxi drivers, people drinking, pedestrians not paying attention, other cyclists, winter conditions, and having your bike break apart underneath you.

There are probably many others. Kinda makes me think twice about riding if I think too much about it.

For me so far....numerous crashes, three broken helmets, hit by cars three times, broken femur, broken collarbone, light concussion and likely a cracked rib or two.

That's a lot. I guess when you put it like that, it's kind of risky to go out. And yet most of us do and end up being fine. So it could be about being careful and avoiding accident prone areas.

I just wondering why rabies carrier needs to bit the person first before they die, because we need to observe the dog who bit us right? and if the dog dies it probably rabies carrier. Why they don't just die before bitten us. I think we are the rabies carrier and not the dogs. LOL :)

I wonder why too. Let's just avoid going in areas where dogs are likely to give chase. I mostly stay away from places with lots of dogs. After all, prevention is better than cure.

They're the reason why wanted to buy sports camera for my bike, to prove how irresponsible the other drivers specially the drunk drivers. It's hard to prove that in a simple conversation and argument.

You have a point. Lots of people don't believe us unless we have proof. That's one way of showing how irresponsible people can be.

Two weeks ago on a mountain decent i hit something, and front tire popped. I immediately tried to brake rear wheel but next thing I remember was slidding on pavement. It was a gentle right turn and could have been much worse if a vehicle was coming up in opposite lane, or i left road bed so i wasn't easily spotted. Long story short, broken collar bone, 8 broken ribs, punctured lung, huge hemotobian (softball size bump) on thigh, one broken vertebra, road rash. Week in hospital, mostly insurace company fighting stay in rehab until I could at least get out of bed on my own. By far, the ribs hurt the most.

So now I have go with "the unexpected on a descend"

Damn, thats rough, hope your recovery goes well. If its any consolation, I know a rider who had a similar accident/similar injuries and was back riding and winning races after a year. Take some time off and Zwift like crazy to stay in bike shape. Being that your on a bike forum, i'd assume you are itching to go riding.

You have a point. Lots of people don't believe us unless we have proof. That's one way of showing how irresponsible people can be.
And sometimes the authority always favor the person who has a lot of connection specially if they are rich, this is the reality right now. The victims always go to the jail if they can't prove anything.

I wonder why too. Let's just avoid going in areas where dogs are likely to give chase. I mostly stay away from places with lots of dogs. After all, prevention is better than cure.
Yeah, that's the best thing to do, just stay away and never interact with the stray dogs. Rabies is curable but still depends on how strong the rabies and how far the bitten area in our brain.

Yeah, that's the best thing to do, just stay away and never interact with the stray dogs. Rabies is curable but still depends on how strong the rabies and how far the bitten area in our brain.

Yes, it's scary. I also think about how to avoid them in nearby areas. Fortunately, there's not many dogs that chase people. Just walk as you normally do and be aware of your surroundings.

My worst fear when cycling in the road is that one day, I could get into an accident in which could end my life. It is a big risk when hitting the road, especially to those roads who acts as the main road of the city. I always feel nervous everytime I get a chance to be side by side with a large truck. I have watched videos of accidents on the roads and it makes feel scared whenever I'm riding on the road. So everyone should be extra careful, we can control our ride but we cannot control other's driving the best thing we could do is to prevent accidents to happen.

Reactions: Corzhens
My worst fear when cycling in the road is that one day, I could get into an accident in which could end my life. It is a big risk when hitting the road, especially to those roads who acts as the main road of the city. I always feel nervous everytime I get a chance to be side by side with a large truck. I have watched videos of accidents on the roads and it makes feel scared whenever I'm riding on the road. So everyone should be extra careful, we can control our ride but we cannot control other's driving the best thing we could do is to prevent accidents to happen.
Our main road is the same as yours with plenty of risks for a rider. Just in front of our village gate, there were several accidents involving big trucks and buses. Fortunately, there was no rider injured and only vehicles were in the collision. But the evening news on tv is not complete without the report on accidents involving motorcycles and bicycles.

Yes, it's scary. I also think about how to avoid them in nearby areas. Fortunately, there's not many dogs that chase people. Just walk as you normally do and be aware of your surroundings.
Sometimes you will notice the rabies carrier if they are so active and their saliva coming out from their mouth, better to avoid this immediately, but some dogs just barking normally.

Sometimes you will notice the rabies carrier if they are so active and their saliva coming out from their mouth, better to avoid this immediately, but some dogs just barking normally.

I also read that we should avoid staring at them. I guess some dogs just find it as a trigger. I wouldn't want to come across dogs that do.

I also read that we should avoid staring at them. I guess some dogs just find it as a trigger. I wouldn't want to come across dogs that do.
Yeah, because they're alpha and think you are an intruder and they're already out of their mind compare to normal dogs who still manage to think.