Worst thing about riding a recumbent

Mike Schwab

Guest
We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
dozen occurences tonight.

Yes the weather was scary and got my seat quite wet Tuesday afternoon.
Then, at Lynn Miller's urging, I rode to Sports Mart and got wicking
underwear and over shorts. And I decided to test them by riding home.
It was a beautiful evening for a ride. Total for the day is 55.3
miles. 1 miles for lunch, about 7 miles to sports mart, and the rest
going home.

"Mike Schwab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
> worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
> closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
> dozen occurences tonight.

[...]

Nope, not this Ed as I don't believe I have ever said anything about getting
insects in your mouth while riding your bike, but it happens. What I really
hate is getting insects in my eyes. Many is the time I have had to stop to
rub my eyes because of it. But the absolute worst experience is to ride your
bike in August when the May Flies finally come out here in Minnesota and
they are flying about in their billions. It is total splatter time. Good
Grief! What a mess!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "Mike Schwab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
>>worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
>>closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
>>dozen occurences tonight.

> [...]
>
> Nope, not this Ed as I don't believe I have ever said anything about getting
> insects in your mouth while riding your bike, but it happens. What I really
> hate is getting insects in my eyes. Many is the time I have had to stop to
> rub my eyes because of it. But the absolute worst experience is to ride your
> bike in August when the May Flies finally come out here in Minnesota and
> they are flying about in their billions. It is total splatter time. Good
> Grief! What a mess!

Try riding the I&M Canal (LaSalle-Peru, IL to Rockdale, IL) at night
during the summer for maximizing bug inhalation.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Mike Schwab wrote:

> We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
> worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
> closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
> dozen occurences tonight.

Maybe it was Ben Fox. ;)

> Yes the weather was scary and got my seat quite wet Tuesday afternoon.
> Then, at Lynn Miller's urging, I rode to Sports Mart and got wicking
> underwear and over shorts. And I decided to test them by riding home.
> It was a beautiful evening for a ride. Total for the day is 55.3
> miles. 1 miles for lunch, about 7 miles to sports mart, and the rest
> going home.

What is Lynn riding these days?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > "Mike Schwab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
> >>worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
> >>closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
> >>dozen occurences tonight.

> > [...]
> >
> > Nope, not this Ed as I don't believe I have ever said anything about

getting
> > insects in your mouth while riding your bike, but it happens. What I

really
> > hate is getting insects in my eyes. Many is the time I have had to stop

> > rub my eyes because of it. But the absolute worst experience is to ride

your
> > bike in August when the May Flies finally come out here in Minnesota

and
> > they are flying about in their billions. It is total splatter time. Good
> > Grief! What a mess!

> Try riding the I&M Canal (LaSalle-Peru, IL to Rockdale, IL) at night
> during the summer for maximizing bug inhalation.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

I have got all the state bike maps for Illinois and it appears that some day
that northern Illinois loop will be one of the greatest bike tours in the
entire country.

Damn it all to hell, I need to know what specific city you are a resident
of. That "Quad City Area" designation is driving me stark raving mad. I am
now guessing East Moline from your most recent post, but I also think it
could be Rock Island from your past posts. Have mercy on me and give me a
clue at least. I can't get to sleep for thinking on this quandary

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Actually, it is the "surf-and-UCSC flies" who never stop at stop signs
and rear-end someone like me who does, or people who ride on the wrong
side of the road, etc., etc., etc., isn't it!?! ;-) This Bike To
Work nonsense is getting to me. Then 358 normal riding days...

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Damn it all to hell, I need to know what specific city you are a resident
> of. That "Quad City Area" designation is driving me stark raving mad. I am
> now guessing East Moline from your most recent post, but I also think it
> could be Rock Island from your past posts. Have mercy on me and give me a
> clue at least. I can't get to sleep for thinking on this quandary

I was in EM for work reasons (construction at the Harvester Works).

Think greater metropolitan area.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

A few months ago, Tom wrote he lives near the Quad Cities airport. From
memory of my visit a few years ago, This is South of the Mississippi
River near the central interstate bridge. Unless you are stopping by,
what do you need more accuracy for?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> =

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> =

> > Damn it all to hell, I need to know what specific city you are a resi=

dent
> > of. That "Quad City Area" designation is driving me stark raving mad=

=2E I am
> > now guessing East Moline from your most recent post, but I also think=

it
> > could be Rock Island from your past posts. Have mercy on me and give =

me a
> > clue at least. I can't get to sleep for thinking on this quandary

> =

> I was in EM for work reasons (construction at the Harvester Works).
> =

> Think greater metropolitan area.
> =

> --
> Tom Sherman =96 Quad City Area

"Mike Schwab" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
A few months ago, Tom wrote he lives near the Quad Cities airport. From
memory of my visit a few years ago, This is South of the Mississippi
River near the central interstate bridge. Unless you are stopping by,
what do you need more accuracy for?

Curiosity pure and simple. If I lived in the Quad Cities, I would want to
say which one of those cities I was from. I would have at least that much
pride in the city in which I lived and paid taxes. But apparently, that is
not how it works with Mr. Sherman and many others on this newsgroup.

For instance, I am from a small town in SW Minnesota. No one needs to know
the exact town because that is a sufficient identification to give others
some sense of where I am coming from. None of those Quad Cities are small
places. They are all quite large. If I wanted to tell people something about
where I was from, why not just say Rock Island or Moline? Why say Quad
Cities? However, now I notice he is saying Quad City Area which is even
worse. If that is the way he is, then why not just say Illinois and be done
with it. The ways of Mr. Sherman are mysterious indeed!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
> worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard
> to keep my mouth closed to avoid the flying insects
> trying to get eaten by me. About a dozen occurences
> tonight.

Insects are nutritious. They are a good source of fats, carbohydrates
and protein. The Paiutes of the Great Basin ate fly larva as a staple
of their diet. Pah-ute meant 'fly eater' in a Shoshone dialect I
believe. These are the fly larva found around the salt sinks at the
edge of the water, of the brine fly. Dip em out, dry em, pound them
into a (tasty?) nutritous flour. Toss a couple of Lace Wings in for a
more pungent, spicy experience. Serve with a chilled white wine.

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
> > worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard
> > to keep my mouth closed to avoid the flying insects
> > trying to get eaten by me. About a dozen occurences
> > tonight.

> Insects are nutritious. They are a good source of fats, carbohydrates
> and protein. The Paiutes of the Great Basin ate fly larva as a staple
> of their diet. Pah-ute meant 'fly eater' in a Shoshone dialect I
> believe. These are the fly larva found around the salt sinks at the
> edge of the water, of the brine fly. Dip em out, dry em, pound them
> into a (tasty?) nutritous flour. Toss a couple of Lace Wings in for a
> more pungent, spicy experience. Serve with a chilled white wine.

That might be hard to do while riding :)