Worst thing you've eaten on a ride?

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Couple things come to mind.

On a ride called the Alpine Challenge metric. 7500 ft of climbing so I was getting hungry. I had packed a few Fig Newtons in a baggy to eat along the way. I didn't seal the zip properly while riding. So on the fly I grabbed one and put it in my mouth then started chewing! Yuck but too late now! :confused:

But the most terrible was on a ride with a buddy. Doing some hills on a hot summer day. I had a slow leak and didn't realize it so I was getting exhausted trying to keep up with him though I usually did. Then I figured it out but by that time I was really exhausted. I was out of food so he said he still had half a Clif bar left. He offered it and I took it. But he pulled it out while I was fixing the flat so I didn't notice he had it tucked in his shorts along his thigh. He's a huge sweater. I unwrapped the bar and put it in my mouth. Nasty! I asked where he had it stored then he told me. Now that was gross! Freaking hairy sweaty dude! :mad:

I generally manage to swallow 4-5 bugs every summer. :cool:

This gave me a laugh but I believe that because it did happen to me once when I was riding at night and a mosquite (I still hope it was a mosquito) got into my mouth and I had swallowed it unintentionally as I inhaled. But swallowing 4 to 5 bugs, hmm, did that make you stronger?

From what I remember in one of those long rides I participated in, there was the food in the sideroad eatery where the riders had their small meal. When we had left, one of the riders was complaining of the fried fish that it tasted like it was already spoiled. I just shook my head because I almost had ordered fried fish but instead got the pork loin.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I got one friend that just HAS to stop at the pub when we go for a ride.
We laugh when he says "hey lets go this way today" when we clearly know what his destination is =)
He denies this, but we all know the reason is because his wife won't let him go to the pub, so he says hes going for a bike ride and then he can get his pub time in.
We always eat fried garbage too with a few pints of good beer. Wings, pizza, sausages, BBQ ect ect.
I can't think of just one bad food, theres been many.
Ride home is always slower too.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
We laugh when he says "hey lets go this way today" when we clearly know what his destination is =)
He denies this, but we all know the reason is because his wife won't let him go to the pub, so he says hes going for a bike ride and then he can get his pub time in.
We always eat fried garbage too with a few pints of good beer. Wings, pizza, sausages, BBQ ect ect.

I bet he only had one beer.
bigbeer.jpg

Agreed, I got once before. It is really tough to hold the food while riding...... However, it is sort of life style~

The worse is when I used to carry nothing and the best is to stop by fruit trees and grab a few. I cannot carry much food though as with the heat it might get bad.

Except the occasional fly or mosquito I once had a Belgian Kebab in Brussels after a pub crawl...

Not only was it nasty, I managed to clog the toilet the morning after...

Back in my college days, there was a food truck---what we call a "roach coach" in the States---that parked on the street outside the back gate to the campus. After a night of pub crawling, the belly buster of choice was the "Fried Egg Special", three fried eggs, cheese, and mayo on a foot-long roll.The mayonnaise and melted cheese kind of welded together into pure greasy goo.

Chinese food, it was the closest place to eat on a long ride and I was starving. It definitely slowed me down, but at least my stomach was full.

I've also got a few friends like that also, and anytime we're out we usually end up in a pub somewhere. I like a drink as much as the next man but when we spend longer in the pub than what we do on the actual bikes, you do start to wonder if it would have made more sense to just get a taxi straight there and cut out the bike ride altogether if that was his plan!

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
haha but the ride helps to burn off all those pub calories!
Plus in my area taxi's are freaking expensive, thank God Uber is here now!

Chinese food, it was the closest place to eat on a long ride and I was starving. It definitely slowed me down, but at least my stomach was full.

The issue with Chinese food is that it tastes relatively good, but after a while it's a bomb in the stomach because it has a lot of oil...

The issue with Chinese food is that it tastes relatively good, but after a while it's a bomb in the stomach because it has a lot of oil...

It basically no longer taste good to me and its very unhealthy. I told myself id find the closest restaurant and that was it. I'll make sure to bring more food for future long rides.

My front tire almost ate a Bobcat yesterday morning while on a training ride. It all happened so fast, I had no time to apply my brakes. The thing jumped out of the ditch while I was cruising at 20. It then darted out in front of my bike. I knew I was going to hit it, but it went diagonally across my path, and I never even touched it. That was a "holy ****" moment.

It basically no longer taste good to me and its very unhealthy. I told myself id find the closest restaurant and that was it. I'll make sure to bring more food for future long rides.

That is something wise. If we think of it, it doesn't occupy that much space and we can enjoy ourselves and eat in a pleasant place that we choose.