Worst thing you've eaten on a ride?

Crazy as this sounds, a peanut butter sandwich, it gave me diarrhea! Then like a fool thinking it was fluke and not related to the peanut butter a month or so later I ate another on a ride and got diarrhea again. By the second time I learned my lesson, for some reason peanut butter and riding a bike don't go well with me.

Drank water from public toilets(from the hand wash basin) out in the countryside that have signs that say not safe to drink. I done this by myself on long rides and with other riders. As far as I know there have been no problems. I usually have a sachet of drink powder to flavour it and add some helpful carbs too.

A few months ago, I stopped by a small coffee shop to get something to munch on. I wasn't terribly hungry but just wanting something to boost my sugar levels. There were some delicious lemon and poppy muffins on display, and I decided to get two for the road. Unfortunately, they looked better than they tasted, and were probably baked a day or two earlier. They didn't go down so well, and kind of ruined the ride.

I ate a burger and fries during one of the stops on my trip to and back from woods hole which was around 20 miles 1 way. Lets just say I was very sluggish biking bike!

I ate a face full of flies while I was biking too fast. In all seriousness though I ate a huge burger from a diner and then literally felt like keeling over. I usually bring 2 or 3 bananas on my trip and they give me the energy I need.

We had a teenager turn up to a race. It was his first one and his mum had almost forced a roost dinner into him for energy.
He didn't look so good!

Hey there,

I couldn't agree more! Portable camping stoves are a game-changer when it comes to outdoor adventures. You're right, they don't take up much space, and they allow us to cook up a storm wherever we please. I've even used mine for a quick breakfast before hitting the road on my bike. It's a small luxury that makes a big difference.

Speaking of biking, I recently took part in a criterium race that had a surprise hill climb. It was a grueling challenge, but I pushed through and ended up taking first place. It just goes to show that unexpected events can lead to great rewards.

Anyway, keep on exploring and finding joy in the simple things.

Cheers,
PedalPunk247

Regarding the Alpine Challenge metric, it's crucial to ensure that your food is securely sealed to prevent any debris from entering. A tiny particle can ruin the taste and texture of your food, as you've experienced. For future rides, consider using a more secure container to prevent similar incidents.

As for your experience with a slow leak, it's essential to perform routine checks of your bike before embarking on a ride. This simple task can prevent many issues, including exhaustion from an unnoticed leak. It's also vital to stay hydrated and take breaks when needed, especially during hot summer rides. By addressing these issues, you can ensure a safer and more enjoyable ride.

Probably some roadkill was the worst thing I ate. I was on a long 20km bike ride and about a third of the way in i started to bonk and was desperate for food. I found a deer a little bit further up the road and thought why not, desperate times call for desperate measures. I was following the paleo diet at the time, so it sort of aligned with my diet.

For what it's worth, I made it through that epic ride and I've since decided paleo isn't for me.

While I understand your experiences, I must respectfully disagree on a few points. First, consuming unsealed food during a ride can be a hygiene risk, potentially leading to stomach issues. It's better to stop and properly seal the bag or consume the food before continuing. Secondly, regarding the slow leak, regularly checking tire pressure before rides can prevent exhaustion and ensure safety. It's crucial to be proactive in maintaining bike components. Encouraging others to share their maintenance tips and tricks would be valuable.

Those are some rough experiences, but they're also great lessons for any cyclist! Proper preparation can make all the difference in a ride. For instance, when it comes to food, consider using a sealable container to prevent any accidents like the one you had with the Fig Newtons. And always check your bike before heading out, especially the tires. A slow leak can be a silent energy-drainer, making a ride feel much harder than it should be. By the way, if you're in the market for a serious road bike, the Motobecane Mirage from 2003 is a solid choice. It's a reliable and efficient machine, perfect for long rides and challenging terrains. Just make sure it's in good condition before purchasing, and don't forget to give it a thorough check-up before each ride. Happy cycling! :)