Worst transgression ever experienced at a restaurant

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Franfogel, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Franfogel

    Franfogel Guest

    This happened in 1978 and I've never forgotten it. My
    husband and I had just moved to Manhattan and were having
    breakfast in a little coffee shop near our apartment. One of
    the employees was using spray cleaner to clean the display
    cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the sliding
    doors behind which the donuts and other baked goods sat on
    shelves was open. We watched in horror as he sprayed the
    food with Windex--and never ate there again.

    Fran

    Tags:

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Franfogel) wrote:

    > This happened in 1978 and I've never forgotten it. My
    > husband and I had just moved to Manhattan and were having
    > breakfast in a little coffee shop near our apartment. One
    > of the employees was using spray cleaner to clean the
    > display cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the
    > sliding doors behind which the donuts and other baked
    > goods sat on shelves was open. We watched in horror as he
    > sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate there again.

    Did you ever say something to the manager? I'm sure that the
    customers who weren't witness to the contamination would
    have appreciated it had they been told.

    please mail OT responses only

  3. stan

    stan Guest

    Franfogel <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This happened in 1978 and I've never forgotten it. My
    > husband and I had just moved to Manhattan and were having
    > breakfast in a little coffee shop near our apartment. One
    > of the employees was using spray cleaner to clean the
    > display cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the
    > sliding doors behind which the donuts and other baked
    > goods sat on shelves was open. We watched in horror as he
    > sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate there again.

    Why didn't you say something to the person who was cleaning
    that display case? Mistakes do happen. There's a good chance
    the guy who was doing the cleaning realized his mistake
    after you left the restaurant, but it would have been
    perfectly reasonable to say something like "you are spraying
    cleaning fluid on those pastries." If you think mistakes
    don't happen at other restaurants, you are living in a
    fantasy land.

  4. Captcook

    Captcook Guest

    "Franfogel" wrote..
    > One of the employees was using spray cleaner to clean the
    > display
    > cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the sliding
    > doors
    behind which
    > the donuts and other baked goods sat on shelves was
    > open. We
    watched in horror
    > as he sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate
    > there again.

    Mine was in the deli of a major grocery store. Noticed a
    dark pan in the warmer, got closer and saw it was creamed
    corn covered with flies. Same chain, different city,
    employee dropped a pan of fried chicken. Picked it up and
    put it in the display.

  5. T E

    T E Guest

    (Franfogel) Wrote: This happened in 1978 and I've never
    forgotten it. My husband and I had just moved to Manhattan
    and were having breakfast in a little coffee shop near our
    apartment. One of the employees was using spray cleaner to
    clean the display cases and obviously didn't notice that one
    of the sliding doors behind which the donuts and other baked
    goods sat on shelves was open. We watched in horror as he
    sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate there again.
    Fran -----------------------------------------------------------
    ---- Response: Sitting at the front counter @ a popular
    family coney island restaurant -Michigan- listening to a
    waitress tellling a fellow worker she tried to take day off
    to see a doctor to learn if she had pink eye but one of the
    owners sons told her they were too short handed that day.
    Waitress then touched her eye glasses then filled up water
    glasses touching the brims with her hands. This restaurant
    is still open and the board of health serving our area is
    still nothing but a joke.

  6. Compmouse

    Compmouse Guest

    In defense of Fran's story regarding her not saying anything
    to the person about the Windex, it happens, sometimes you're
    just so shocked about an incident you don't think of these
    things at the time. Anyway, wouldn't the guy spraying Windex
    have noticed there was no glass in front of the pastries
    anyway? I mean, you're supposed to wipe the Windex off the
    glass once you're finished spraying.

    --
    Compmouse Come visit KittyRealm, an active and friendly
    Sanrio Community (http://pub37.ezboard.com/bkittyrealm)

    "Franfogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m28.aol.com...
    > This happened in 1978 and I've never forgotten it. My
    > husband and I had
    just
    > moved to Manhattan and were having breakfast in a little
    > coffee shop near
    our
    > apartment. One of the employees was using spray cleaner to
    > clean the
    display
    > cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the sliding
    > doors behind
    which
    > the donuts and other baked goods sat on shelves was open.
    > We watched in
    horror
    > as he sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate
    > there again.
    >
    > Fran

  7. Tony Walton

    Tony Walton Guest

    On 2004-06-02 17:35:54 +0100, Scott <[email protected]> said:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Franfogel) wrote:
    >
    >> This happened in 1978 and I've never forgotten it. My
    >> husband and I had just moved to Manhattan and were having
    >> breakfast in a little coffee shop near our apartment. One
    >> of the employees was using spray cleaner to clean the
    >> display cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the
    >> sliding doors behind which the donuts and other baked
    >> goods sat on shelves was open. We watched in horror as he
    >> sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate there again.
    >
    > Did you ever say something to the manager? I'm sure that
    > the customers who weren't witness to the contamination
    > would have appreciated it had they been told.

    They probably noticed quite quickly without being told!

    --
    Tony

  8. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "CaptCook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Franfogel" wrote..
    > >One of the employees was using spray cleaner to clean the
    > > display
    > >cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the sliding
    > > doors
    > behind which
    > > the donuts and other baked goods sat on shelves was
    > > open. We
    > watched in horror
    > > as he sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate there
    > > again.
    >
    > Mine was in the deli of a major grocery store. Noticed a
    > dark pan in the warmer, got closer and saw it was creamed
    > corn covered with flies. Same chain, different city,
    > employee dropped a pan of fried chicken. Picked it up and
    > put it in the display.

    I had a job that took me into restaurant kitchens for over
    15 years. I saw it all, from the best to the worst. The
    worst sight was a horribly filthy and cluttered kitchen
    where every inch of counter and surface space was piled up
    with garbage and clutter. Cockroaches and mice were running
    all around. For lack of any workspace, one food worker was
    cutting up the shrimp down on the floor. And who would have
    thought? The dining room of that place was beautiful.

    Locally, restaurants are now subject to more rigid
    environmental health and inspection programs by our County
    Health Department. They have probably reduced the incidence
    of continual, chronic violations but I believe there are
    plenty of grevious individual violations that the inspectors
    never see.

  9. Mike Beede

    Mike Beede Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Compmouse <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In defense of Fran's story regarding her not saying
    > anything to the person about the Windex, it happens,
    > sometimes you're just so shocked about an incident you
    > don't think of these things at the time. Anyway, wouldn't
    > the guy spraying Windex have noticed there was no glass in
    > front of the pastries anyway? I mean, you're supposed to
    > wipe the Windex off the glass once you're finished
    > spraying.

    Actually, saying something to the manager would give you a
    hint whether it was "an accident" or not. At a pretty
    decent Chinese restaurant in Uptown Minneapolis, I was in
    the rest room when a kitchen worker came out of the stall
    and went straight out the door into the kitchen. I told the
    manager I thought that was pretty tacky and should be dealt
    with. His reponse was "oh, that was just the guy that mops
    the floor." Uh huh.

    I know stuff happens in *all* restaurants, but when
    they have that kind of attitude, you can bet it happens
    *a* *lot*.

    Mike Beede

  10. Scott

    Scott Guest

    My brother is a health inspector, so I do get to hear some
    interesting stories. Off the top of my head, there are two
    that stand out: he was inspecting a Chinese restaurant. The
    cook was standing at the stove in front of one of those big
    woks, with a ladle in each hand. The ladles were used to
    stir the food, and to periodically dip into some sauce and
    pour it onto the food. My brother happened to notice a
    cockroach crawling up the wall behind the stove. Apparently,
    the cook saw it too: he reached out and *WHACK*, hit the
    cockroach with the ladle, then resumed stirring.

    Some time ago, my brother was inspecting a diner. He went
    down to a food preparation area in the basement, and saw a
    guy making cole slaw. However, all of the ingredients had
    been put into a large garbage pail (itself a violation,
    since it's not a food-grade container), and the guy, wearing
    a tank top, was stirring it using his hands: sticking his
    arms in up to the pits and mixing it all around. He'd
    periodically wipe off his arms with his hands, dumping the
    little bits back into the pail.

    please mail OT responses only

  11. Maxine In Ri

    Maxine In Ri Guest

    CaptCook wrote:

    > "Franfogel" wrote..
    > >One of the employees was using spray cleaner to clean the
    > > display
    > >cases and obviously didn't notice that one of the sliding
    > > doors
    > behind which
    > > the donuts and other baked goods sat on shelves was
    > > open. We
    > watched in horror
    > > as he sprayed the food with Windex--and never ate there
    > > again.
    >
    > Mine was in the deli of a major grocery store. Noticed a
    > dark pan in the warmer, got closer and saw it was creamed
    > corn covered with flies. Same chain, different city,
    > employee dropped a pan of fried chicken. Picked it up and
    > put it in the display.

    My story is at least third-hand (my stepson heard it from
    his friends who worked there who saw the other guy do it)
    turning under the mold on top of mac&cheese on the steam
    table at a chain restaurant.

    maxine in ri

  12. Telmgren

    Telmgren Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My brother is a health inspector, so I do get to hear some
    > interesting stories. Off the top of my head, there are two
    > that stand out: he was inspecting a Chinese restaurant.
    > The cook was standing at the stove in front of one of
    > those big woks, with a ladle in each hand. The ladles were
    > used to stir the food, and to periodically dip into some
    > sauce and pour it onto the food. My brother happened to
    > notice a cockroach crawling up the wall behind the stove.
    > Apparently, the cook saw it too: he reached out and
    > *WHACK*, hit the cockroach with the ladle, then resumed
    > stirring.
    >
    > Some time ago, my brother was inspecting a diner. He went
    > down to a food preparation area in the basement, and saw a
    > guy making cole slaw. However, all of the ingredients had
    > been put into a large garbage pail (itself a violation,
    > since it's not a food-grade container), and the guy,
    > wearing a tank top, was stirring it using his hands:
    > sticking his arms in up to the pits and mixing it all
    > around. He'd periodically wipe off his arms with his
    > hands, dumping the little bits back into the pail.

    If I were a health inspector, I'd likely never eat out
    again. LOL!! Yuck! I prefer to remain oblivious.

  13. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    This reminds me of a movie.... donald sutherland was the
    inspector, and he pulls out something from the soup - he
    says its a mouse turd and the chef says its a caper....
    invasion of the body snatchers... truly a horrifying movie
    in more ways than one.

    take care Liz

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:25:06 GMT, Scott
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My brother is a health inspector, so I do get to hear some
    >interesting stories. Off the top of my head, there are two
    >that stand out: he was inspecting a Chinese restaurant. The
    >cook was standing at the stove in front of one of those big
    >woks, with a ladle in each hand. The ladles were used to
    >stir the food, and to periodically dip into some sauce and
    >pour it onto the food. My brother happened to notice a
    >cockroach crawling up the wall behind the stove.
    >Apparently, the cook saw it too: he reached out and
    >*WHACK*, hit the cockroach with the ladle, then resumed
    >stirring.
    >
    >Some time ago, my brother was inspecting a diner. He went
    >down to a food preparation area in the basement, and saw a
    >guy making cole slaw. However, all of the ingredients had
    >been put into a large garbage pail (itself a violation,
    >since it's not a food-grade container), and the guy,
    >wearing a tank top, was stirring it using his hands:
    >sticking his arms in up to the pits and mixing it all
    >around. He'd periodically wipe off his arms with his hands,
    >dumping the little bits back into the pail.

  14. Tenplay

    Tenplay Guest

    My cousin worked as a busboy in an upscale Chinese
    restaurant. He told me that they regularly scraped off the
    top layer of partially eaten individual bowls of rice and
    put a new cap of rice on top. I don't think any one
    suspected.

    ge1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...