Worth the wait for 2006 bikes?

roger89

May 29, 2005
Hello,

Is it worth the wait for 2006 bikes to come out to stores and buy 'em or get 2005 bikes when 2006 bikes is here, which might save some $$ I suppose. Any suggestion?

I'm pointing more on road bikes.

Unless you feel the need to keep ahead of the Jones's, I'd say save the $$. Or, spend what you would on an '06 and get a better bike in an '05 model due to sale or closeout.

roger89 said:
Hello,

Is it worth the wait for 2006 bikes to come out to stores and buy 'em or get 2005 bikes when 2006 bikes is here, which might save some $$ I suppose. Any suggestion?

uphillbothways said:
Unless you feel the need to keep ahead of the Jones's, I'd say save the $$. Or, spend what you would on an '06 and get a better bike in an '05 model due to sale or closeout.
Yeah bikes are not computers. There is almost no difference technically, much smarter to save some bucks and let the other suckers pay more for "this years color". But this is only in general... if there is a component level change or something else that is specifically better on a specific model that you really prefer it may be worth it to wait...say 11 speed is coming out this year or something like that but that I know of nothing like that for '06.

wilmar13 said:
Yeah bikes are not computers. There is almost no difference technically, much smarter to save some bucks and let the other suckers pay more for "this years color". But this is only in general... if there is a component level change or something else that is specifically better on a specific model that you really prefer it may be worth it to wait...say 11 speed is coming out this year or something like that but that I know of nothing like that for '06.

I second what you are saying. Even going from nine speed to ten isn't compelling enough to buy the latest since shifting quality did not improve, it just got you one more gear.

So anyone have any idea what improvements 2006 bikes will have?

What Shimano is up to next year..?

The only thing that is worth waiting for with the 2006 models is the fire sale prices on the left over 2005s.

The performance difference between a road bike from 1995 and 2005 is miniscule. The performance difference between a road bike from 2005 and 2006 is exactly zero.

Mountain bikes, thats a whole different story. Roads bikes same as it's always been...

roger89 said:
Hello,