Worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by iplanet, Oct 7, 2003.

1. iplanet

iplanet New Member

I have a Giant GSR AluxX FS 2004 , I bought it from my local bike shop for 180 pounds.

I'm doing more and more light off road riding and two things are starting to annoy me. For one the bike is a bit heavy (15kg), but the most annoying thing is that the gear change is not too smooth front or rear. It's been back to the shop once for a chain suck problem and they adjusted the front and rear mech again but it's still not that good.

As the bike is fitted with Shimano SIS bottom of the range components, I thought it would be simple just to change the derailleurs. I was quite suprised to see how cheap good quality derailleurs were; just 30 pounds for a Shimano Deore LX rear and even cheaper for a front mech.

I then realised that my rear cassette was 7 speed and these things come in only 8/9 (?). Which means a new cassette (hub?), chain, shifters and brake leavers no doubt.

I had a look at new bikes and even at the 500 to 600 pound mark they were still fitted with the basic Diore kit!? Is it worth upgrading?

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Unless you are able to get parts way below retail price there's not much point in trying to upgrade to get the bike lighter. You basically have to change every component to a lighter more expensive one to make a difference. And even after that your current frame can be as much as 1 kg heavier than a frame from a more expensive bike. It will probably be cheaper for you to buy a used lighter bike an do some maintenance on it than trying to reduce weight on your current one.

Upgrading for performance/functionality however is still an option.

You can get new derailleurs without having to change anything else. If your shifters and brakes are in the same pod and you want to go to 8/9 spd, then you'll need to replace both. If they are in separate pods you can keep the brakes.
    You will need a new chain and cassette, but then there are some options available. Check http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html for further information. You might get away with a body transplant (the part that holds the cassette), which would save you from having to replace the whole hub.

3. iplanet

iplanet New Member

The problem was I couldn't see any decent (LX / XT) stuff that was 7 speed, it was all 8/9 speed.

So will a Shimano LX RD-M570-SGS Rear Derailleur (for example) work with a 7 speed?

4. hedgehog

hedgehog New Member

I think you would get better shifting with better shifters instead of deraillers, they do work together but the shifter is the smartest piece of machinery in the equation.

I think I would try to pick up some altus or alivio (can't remember which is 7sp) shifters.

5. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Unless you go for the new ones with the reversed return spring, the derailleurs (AFAIK) all have the same basic geometry and can be combined every which way. A 9-spd derailleur will have the same span of movement as your old 7-spd. The indexing is done in the shifter, as long as that one matches your cassette you should be OK.

I prefer to spend money on the the derailleurs instead of on the shifters. In muddy conditions I feel that this gives better functionality. In less taxing conditions you might appreciate the smoother action of a higher rated shifter more though.

6. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

dabac has the best suggestion. Sell this bike and buy a used one with 9-speed.

7. swimmeronwheels

swimmeronwheels New Member

Altus, fyi.

8. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

LX derrailleurs will work with 7 speed since the shifter is what determines the movement. The range the derrailleur moves is the same with 7 speed. If you want a more serious mountain bike I would recomend you just buy something better. You will spend as much, if not more money upgrading that one to better componentry.