worthy upgrade for my bike

foild1

Aug 30, 2005
Ive got a few extra bucks this month, and im thinking of throwing on a first upgrade to my cannondale r600. The bike is fully stock with 10 speed ultegra / 105. I was thinking of possibly handlebars? wheels? anything else? any specific products anyone can recomend?

Thanks

Cam

foild1 said:
Ive got a few extra bucks this month, and im thinking of throwing on a first upgrade to my cannondale r600. The bike is fully stock with 10 speed ultegra / 105. I was thinking of possibly handlebars? wheels? anything else? any specific products anyone can recomend?

Thanks

Cam
A fully stock R600 with Ultegra 10!?? :confused:

Everyone is different, but my money would go:
1.) 44cm handlebars
2.) Compact crankset (i.e. FSA 50-34)
3.) Hac4 cyclocomputer
4.) Clip-on lights for night rides

WINGNUTT said:
Everyone is different, but my money would go:
1.) 44cm handlebars
2.) Compact crankset (i.e. FSA 50-34)
3.) Hac4 cyclocomputer
4.) Clip-on lights for night rides
got the lights.. hac4 cyclocomputer over polar or garmin?

foild1 said:
got the lights.. hac4 cyclocomputer over polar or garmin?
Not sure - I've only tried the Hac4. I'm sure the Polar is good - main thing is to get the altimeter, cadence, and PC download features so you can do a proper analysis of your ride and compare performances to past performances. I've learned a lot by doing this.

1. Pedals/Shoes (if you don't have them already)
2. Wheelset
3. Crankset (maybe carbon, or upgrade to ultegra)

Just my opinion, but anything that makes your ride more comfortable and enjoyable is worth the money:

Shoes
Helmet
Gloves
Saddle
Undervest
Socks

14max said:
That sounded odd to me as well...
Well, stock to me. Thats how i bought it at the LBS. Cant find any Solid answers as to what it came with "stock" from the factory, as everyone sais something different. Im in Canada if that makes any difference.

foild1 said:
Well, stock to me. Thats how i bought it at the LBS. Cant find any Solid answers as to what it came with "stock" from the factory, as everyone sais something different. Im in Canada if that makes any difference.
What model year? The '05 model isn't listed on the C'dale website but I'm pretty sure it was a mixture of 105/Tiagra or similar. If you got Ultegra 10 at the R600 price you definitely have a bargain there...

Slider77 said:
A fully stock R600 with Ultegra 10!?? :confused:
A nice comfy cockpit is key. I would probably take a look at the handelbar stem combo and make sure you feel dialed in. I know matter what frame I have I want Ritchey WCS bars on it. They are just perfect for my hands, which can be important for 3-4 hour rides (everyone's taste is different here). If it's a speed upgrade, look at wheels. I like Campy Wheels but Ksyriums are tough and fast.

Thanks everyone!

Ok.. this is the full setup of my bike.. i would like to find out once and for all what year it is and what type of deal i got on it.

i bought it for 1249.00 CDN (plus pedals, shoes, etc etc) - it is my first road bike as i am planning on getting into some beginner racing.

it is blue and white, with blue/yellow Cannondale logo spelt across the frame.

it has 105 brake levers, Ultegra 10 speed rear derailer, and Tiagra front derailer.

In house brakes, gipiemme wheels...

Help - what year?!

PeterF said:
A nice comfy cockpit is key. I would probably take a look at the handelbar stem combo and make sure you feel dialed in. I know matter what frame I have I want Ritchey WCS bars on it. They are just perfect for my hands, which can be important for 3-4 hour rides (everyone's taste is different here). If it's a speed upgrade, look at wheels. I like Campy Wheels but Ksyriums are tough and fast.

foild1 said:
This is the full setup of my bike.. i would like to find out once and for all what year it is and what type of deal i got on it.

i bought it for 1249.00 CDN (plus pedals, shoes, etc etc) - it is my first road bike as i am planning on getting into some beginner racing.

it is blue and white, with blue/yellow Cannondale logo spelt across the frame.

it has 105 brake levers, Ultegra 10 speed rear derailer, and Tiagra front derailer.

In house brakes, gipiemme wheels...

Help - what year?!
Does it look like this?:
4RR6DWHT.jpg

If so it's an R600 from 2004. The original specs are here: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RR6D.html

With the Ultegra 10 upgrade (either made by the shop or someone else) you did damn good.

Get some new wheels!! Mavic, Bontrager, FSA, etc.

It's always nice to have a pair of wheels ready when your'e are racing, you can have a set for trainning and other set for racing, you can have a 11-23 cassette on one and a 12-25 on the other and most important thing: wheels are one of the most significative upgrades in terms of performance.

Just my 2 pesos

DZ-015 said:
Just my opinion, but anything that makes your ride more comfortable and enjoyable is worth the money:

Shoes
Helmet
Gloves
Saddle
Undervest
Socks

Agreed. Always good to get some nice warm weather kit for the winter.

Most bike upgrades are 97% marketing, 3% meaningful -- and that's probably being generous.

14max said:
Does it look like this?: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/images/large/4RR6DWHT.jpg

If so it's an R600 from 2004. The original specs are here: http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RR6D.html

With the Ultegra 10 upgrade (either made by the shop or someone else) you did damn good.
Thats the one :)

thanks for finding that.. i couldn't find any previous years on cannondales site.. guess i didn't look hard enough!

well, with that being said, i think i will look for some wheels, handlebars, a new crank, and that will do me untill i get a different bike way down the road once i finish paying for this one :)

Oh.. and its a triple!

Let me be the kill-joy.... save your money. If this is your first road bike and you're going to try some beginner racing, circumstances are going to determine what you need. And these needs will become self evident and unfortunately expensive and you should be prepared for them. In other words, your cycling tells you what it needs, not the other way around. For instance, you live in Canada, what are you going to be doing in the winter; are you all set with some sort of trainer and clothing. Or.... you show up to your first race and you have this nagging feeling that you should have bought a set of spare wheels. Or... the inevitable crash and all the repairs.

As an example, I have a friend who just got back into cycling after many years. He dumped all his money into upgrading his 1988 pinnarello frame with a new groupo, etc and now he's sitting at home doing nothing since he doesn't have adequate clothing and he doesn't own a trainer. It kinda slipped his mind that it gets cold.

foild1 said:
Thats the one :)

thanks for finding that.. i couldn't find any previous years on cannondales site.. guess i didn't look hard enough!

well, with that being said, i think i will look for some wheels, handlebars, a new crank, and that will do me untill i get a different bike way down the road once i finish paying for this one :)

Oh.. and its a triple!
John makes a good point. Clothing and a trainer would be appropriate in your neck of the woods. You'll get more out of the bike if you can train through the winter months. Save the rest of the cash and consider getting a second bike specifically for racing since upgrading that one would probably be more hassle than it's worth.

yeah well im on the west coast and it barely ever snows here, so i can ride all year round essentially. I have full rain gear and am not afraid to get wet ;)

i am very happy with this bike in general, i like the ride very much.. but i know that i could make it that much better with some sort of upgrade. Now im not prepaired to upgrade to the point that i could have bought whole new bike... but wheels/tires for example i could carry on to my next bike...

I totally agree with you though... the must have items definatly come first.. clothing first and foremost.. but im past that stage now and would like to buy a hardware upgrade :)

it seems like wheels and a seat are going to be my next upgrade for sure..

any recomendations on wheels??? im a tall guy - 6'3 and 180LBS. I wont be using them till next season but i plan on getting in some beginner racing.

Thanks!

foild1 said:
i am very happy with this bike in general, i like the ride very much.. but i know that i could make it that much better with some sort of upgrade...it seems like wheels and a seat are going to be my next upgrade for sure...
That's the most important aspect of all, that you're happy with the bike and ride.

As far as wheel upgrades go I can only suggest but I'm no expert. You might consider a set of Shimano R600s (Ultegra level) or Easton Circuits. They're reasonably priced and aren't terribly heavy. The Ultegras weigh in at 1730 grams and the the Eastons weigh in at 1650 grams. And, since the Eastons are typically $100 less than the Shimanos you'd get more bang for the buck with them. Just a thought...