Would A Commute Bag With Built-in Lights Make Sense?



Gandharv

New Member
Sep 16, 2015
16
4
3
Hi,
First of, if this isn't appropriate here, please do tell me and I will delete this post. I am looking for feedback on a new concept we're working on. We are in the process of making a commute backpack with in-built EL-lighting, the intention being to make better and safer commute bags. I just wanted to check what you guys think of the backpack and if there are any other features that you think we should incorporate to make a perfect commute backpack? I am just sharing images of the early prototype.

Thanks for your feedback. We aren't selling nor have we made this yet! Just seeking some early opinions on whether this is worth making :)

Gandharv
 

Attachments

  • NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-01.png
    NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-01.png
    422 KB · Views: 11
  • NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-02.png
    NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-02.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 12
  • NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-03.png
    NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-03.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 13
  • NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-04.png
    NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-04.png
    458.1 KB · Views: 17
  • NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-05.png
    NOX BROCHURE PRINTOUT-05.png
    710 KB · Views: 13
Thank you for the opportunity to comment on this backpack with integrated lighting.

Looks sorta cool but I would wonder how much it cost to pin safety lights on my existing backpack. I also would like to know if there is any reflective material on the backpack for when the battery runs low to provide residual visibility.

As a potential purchaser, my concerns would be the durability/replacability of the electronic lighting system. IE, if the lights stopped working, could they be repaired/replaced easily or would the backpack become a non lighted backpack.

A way to aleviate these concers to a potential purchaser would be to offer a good warrenty on the electrical system.

Hope this helps!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gandharv

bykster

Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
190
40
18
I actually used to have something like this when I was commuting to work via bike and had some nights where I would stay in longer. Only difference is I took off the light from the bike and put it on my backpack. It wasn't the best solution as it kept falling off and sometimes I wouldn't notice so I'd have to go back and look for it or just buy a new one when I notice it too late. So yeah, I think something like this can be really useful, but I have to say, you're aiming for a very specific market.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gandharv

pwarbi

Well-Known Member
Mar 18, 2015
689
106
28
45
UK
While I've never used or seen anything like this for sale I don't see any reason why something like this can't work.

A lot will depend on what sort of price range the OP is looking at selling for though, as there are a lot of backpacks on the market like this, just without the safety features attached.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gandharv

Zhen25

Member
Nov 17, 2015
115
24
18
28
I think this a is a really good idea especially for those who prefer to ride at night. I think it would even extend from riders to pedestrians. This bag would definitely lower the accident rates. Just as long as rain does not affect how the lights work.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gandharv

Corzhens

Well-Known Member
May 26, 2015
1,287
252
63
I think that lighted backpack is a good idea particularly for night riding. That's one of the problems here for night riders - they have no lights and mostly wearing reflectorized clothes only. With that illuminated backpack I guess the accidents involving bike riders can be minimized if not totally eliminated. Accidents are common here at night because of the lack of lighting on the road and when the biker has no light then it is a risk because the vehicle drivers may not see him at all.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gandharv

Gandharv

New Member
Sep 16, 2015
16
4
3
Thanks a tonne Cranky Thunder! Yeah, I think it is a fair suggestion. We are thinking of adding a whole bunch of reflector around the light itself as a strip to add to the safety element. And yes, given that it is a new system, your concerns would be valid. I think we'll incorporate your feedback on the additional warranty on the lighting! Though, we'll also get a third-part certification on the life of the lighting itself!

CrankyThunder said:
Thank you for the opportunity to comment on this backpack with integrated lighting.

Looks sorta cool but I would wonder how much it cost to pin safety lights on my existing backpack. I also would like to know if there is any reflective material on the backpack for when the battery runs low to provide residual visibility.

As a potential purchaser, my concerns would be the durability/replacability of the electronic lighting system. IE, if the lights stopped working, could they be repaired/replaced easily or would the backpack become a non lighted backpack.

A way to aleviate these concers to a potential purchaser would be to offer a good warrenty on the electrical system.

Hope this helps!
 

Gandharv

New Member
Sep 16, 2015
16
4
3
Thanks Pwarbi for taking time out for the feedback. We're still figuring out what would be the best features to incorporate - will try to arrive a pricing after that. Any particular price that you think would be a good target for something like this? Would USD 75 be appropriate?

pwarbi said:
While I've never used or seen anything like this for sale I don't see any reason why something like this can't work.

A lot will depend on what sort of price range the OP is looking at selling for though, as there are a lot of backpacks on the market like this, just without the safety features attached.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pwarbi

Gandharv

New Member
Sep 16, 2015
16
4
3
Thanks! True, it might be a specific market but hopefully it'll help make the cyclist be more visible. I am surprised at the Pedestrian comment - do people in your area walk to/from work? Is that common? In my part of the world, people either cycle or take a car. Walking is rare - typically if the commute is less than 1-2 miles, then people walk.


Zhen25 said:
I think this a is a really good idea especially for those who prefer to ride at night. I think it would even extend from riders to pedestrians. This bag would definitely lower the accident rates. Just as long as rain does not affect how the lights work.

Corzhens said:
I think that lighted backpack is a good idea particularly for night riding. That's one of the problems here for night riders - they have no lights and mostly wearing reflectorized clothes only. With that illuminated backpack I guess the accidents involving bike riders can be minimized if not totally eliminated. Accidents are common here at night because of the lack of lighting on the road and when the biker has no light then it is a risk because the vehicle drivers may not see him at all.

bykster said:
I actually used to have something like this when I was commuting to work via bike and had some nights where I would stay in longer. Only difference is I took off the light from the bike and put it on my backpack. It wasn't the best solution as it kept falling off and sometimes I wouldn't notice so I'd have to go back and look for it or just buy a new one when I notice it too late. So yeah, I think something like this can be really useful, but I have to say, you're aiming for a very specific market.
 

pwarbi

Well-Known Member
Mar 18, 2015
689
106
28
45
UK
Gandharv said:
Thanks Pwarbi for taking time out for the feedback. We're still figuring out what would be the best features to incorporate - will try to arrive a pricing after that. Any particular price that you think would be a good target for something like this? Would USD 75 be appropriate?
As far as pricing goes, I'd have to put it as just a little higher than your other competitors due to the fact it's got the safety features on there.

Having said that, people aren't going to be willing to pay over the odds, especially when in theory you could buy a backpack and light both separately.
 

sunshiney

Active Member
Aug 19, 2015
268
44
18
31
Toronto
I think it's a good idea, but as someone else mentioned, I've already got some cheap lights that I clip onto my backpack when I'm riding at night. It's also already got reflective strips, so I feel like I'm pretty well covered as far as that's concerned.

If it wasn't priced too much higher than a regular pack though I could see buying something like this :)
 

9lines

Member
May 7, 2015
289
24
18
I also think that is a good idea. The idea is, we should be visible to cyclists and motorists while riding safely. The main issue will be the cost- will it be affordable or many will go for conventional reflectors? Will it be rechargeable or it will force one to be buying batteries? I think you should put that into consideration.
 

slbenz

New Member
Apr 18, 2005
23
0
1
Another thing to help with visibility, have various flashing modes just like the rear tail lights available.
 

moneyman

Member
Oct 6, 2015
157
16
18
It would be a great addition to be seen better in the dark winter season. It seriously grinds my gears when someone is for example riding or jogging without any lights. They are quite hard to spot in traffic.