Would Anyone Commute In 110f Weather?

hollowbackerdale

Jun 11, 2015
Driving sucks. I'd love to bicycle commute. But I'm unwilling to ride 11.5 miles one way in 110°F heat. It was 100+ all week, culminating with 110 on Friday. Ugh.

Would you do it? And what's your current mental state if you say 'yes.' :)

110 is not horrible in dry climates. I have ridden when the bike computer registered 115 on the pavement in high humidity. You need a shower after no doubt.

Ambient temp matters less than the dewpoint.

110F with 10% humidity and a 50F dewpoint is entirely different that 110F ambient with 90% humidity and an 85F dewpoint.

And yes. With lots of water.

It's very possible I will later this summer. Last year wasn't so bad but the year before that I had a couple of rides during August. Ten miles in 105+ degrees and probably 40-50% humidity. Add in that nice hot dry headwind, and it made for a pleasant ride.
3 water bottle cages and an extra water bottle thrown in the trunk bag.

It all depends on what you're used to. I hate riding in freezing temps and would take the heat any day.

Would I do it? Honestly I would have no choice. I only ride a bicycle. I have been out in far worse heat than that as the heat index can get to 120-125 for a week or two in mid july. Honestly it's the cold that stops me long before heat. Today it was 94° (about 35c) though low humidity, so it was quite nice. but I like warm weather. Phoenix would be the idea city for me weather wise.

Last summer I planned to take off work a few hours early on a Friday afternoon and extend my normal 15-mile one-way commute home. Unfortunately that Friday coincided with one of the hottest days of the year. I swore I saw my Garmin display a temp of 118, but I think when I uploaded the data, it showed a high temp of "only" 112. Fortunately, as Marcus_Ti points out, it was a dry heat. As I recall, I ended up cutting the ride short, and ended up with about 30 miles for the afternoon (plus the 15 from the morning commute).

As long as I have enough water, the (dry) heat doesn't bother me too much. It may slow me down, but then, I don't ride that fast to begin with

I was out in triple digit temperature a handful of times last summer and in 90+ degree temperature regularly. Since it was a dry heat, it didn't feel particularly uncomfortable. The only challenge was that I had to make an active effort to stay hydrated (I probably drank 2-3x what I normally do on rides of similar distance in more pleasant weather.)

I've rode out on hot weather before, and it sucks. That's my mental state. Just get some speed and hopefully the air with cool you down. Most of the time is doesn't so that's why it is important to cover up because the rays of the sun will drain you of life. Beware of heat exhaustion.

I commute in San Antonio...so yes, i will ride no matter what the temperature is. The only difference is if it is really hot (100+) I will just take my short route home (16 miles) instead of my long route (25 miles). It take 55 minutes with traffic for the short route so as long as I hyfrate before I leave work I am fine.

I typically take the "oh you can ride in any weather" approaced to riding.
But 100F? That's pretty darn hot!
But I'm also more used to 10F weather and not 110F.
Perhaps if I lived for awhile in some of the climates other posters here live in I would get used to it, but right now the thought of 110F riding makes me sweat!

for me it's the cold that would stop me before the heat would. I've ridden in the Mojave Desert area of S Calif for 14 or so years and certain times of the year it would get over 100 easily. I've ridden in Palm Desert/Springs area too when the temps were 120, not real fun but sort of doable, obviously one doesn't try to set a world record hour speed attempt in that sort of heat, in fact performance is way off in high temps.

No, I wouldn't ride. It's not good medically. It is equivalent to 43.5-degree celsius. if the humidity is above 70%, the feels-like temperature would be much higher. Riding in such conditions could be fatal. You severely dehydrate your body and as your body produces more heat through exertion. The entire heat gets trapped in the body and your organs cannot sustain the undue load and can't function optimally. Never do it.

I have never had to deal with this, as it never gets warmer than 95 degrees Fahrenheit where I live. However, I have had to ride a bike at -13 degrees Fahrenheit, and it was not a pleasant experience, although physical activities obviously make you a little warmer.

I have..almost. In TN, USA. The year 2007 we had 23 straight days of 100+. My commute was 42 miles rt. Rode home everyday beginning at 3 PM. Home by 4:20. Hydrate properly and you're gtg.

welshdude3 said:
I have..almost. In TN, USA. The year 2007 we had 23 straight days of 100+. My commute was 42 miles rt. Rode home everyday beginning at 3 PM. Home by 4:20. Hydrate properly and you're gtg.
It can be done without boiling your insides out as one poster seems to think, good grief they raced bikes in 100 plus degree days all the time especially in the Furnace Creek 500 or the Hoodoo 500, and in either one of those you could experience 100 plus degree days.

I also would like to add, that if I did commute that far in that kind of heat, I would have to consider if there is a locker room at my workplace so that I could take a full shower and freshen up. That would be the determining factor in my heatwave commute.

One thing I find interesting about this post...it's labeled HOT!

One thing I find interesting about this post...it's labeled HOT!

I would probably avoid it if I could. I normally commute everywhere by bike but on days that get much above 35C (or 95F) I'll usually get the bus.
If it's not too humid I might give it a go, but especially commuting to work, I hate arriving all sweaty and overheated.
Where I live it's more of an issue to be snow/iced in for half the year! I'd much rather bike in the summer heat than try to negotiate icy roads.

I would (and have) ride in 110 degree weather, although I'd rather do it with less humidity. I'm okay with sweat and feeling a little heated, but sticky heat makes it so much worse in my head. If the dial hit 115 degrees or above, then I'd probably turn right around and go back inside instead of trying to cycle in THAT kind of heat. I know people are wild enough to do that, too, though.