(Would be) thieves

Chris Davies

Guest
Hi

Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been opened
up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes. Nothing has
been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a Blackburn and cost
a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything. It was parked up in
front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really crowded.
What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike unattended?
It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything else you can do?
Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the bag, but don't want
to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier bags? Bet they'd weigh
something if there is.

Chris

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

On 31/8/04 1:23 pm, in article [email protected], "Chris
Davies" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been opened
> up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes. Nothing has
> been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a Blackburn and cost
> a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything. It was parked up in
> front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really crowded.
> What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike unattended?
> It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything else you can do?
> Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the bag, but don't want
> to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier bags? Bet they'd weigh
> something if there is.

I've used a pac safe before. It is a lockable steel mesh, designed for
rucksacks.

See http://www.pac-safe.com/ and they are available from most good outdoor
shops.

...d

Hi, the same thing happened to me when visiting the local market. One inner
tube was taken but luckily my 'Cool Tool' was still their. A street cleaner
had seen two teenagers at my panniers and frightened them off. I've visited
the market every week for years and this has happened only once. But it does
make you a little nervous when leaving the bike.

John.

"Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been opened
> up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes. Nothing has
> been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a Blackburn and cost
> a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything. It was parked up in
> front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really crowded.
> What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike unattended?
> It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything else you can do?
> Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the bag, but don't want
> to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier bags? Bet they'd weigh
> something if there is.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
> Remove the bars to contact me

"Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been opened
> up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes. Nothing has
> been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a Blackburn and cost
> a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything. It was parked up in
> front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really crowded.

You say nothing was taken. Could it have been the security people from the
shopping centre who had a rummage?

> What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike unattended?

You never have to. Panniers are detachable.

> It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything else you can do?

Nope. It's that or leave them at home.

> Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the bag, but don't want
> to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier bags? Bet they'd weigh
> something if there is.

I've seen metal mesh baskets with locking lids.
--
Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Chris Davies <[email protected]> wrote:

: What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike unattended?

Use a rucksack or a courier bag.

For larger/heavier items I use a trailer. This seems to be sufficietly
unusual to not attract oiks even in York, though I don't really leave
stuff in it.

Also don't vist shopping centres.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

Chris Davies <[email protected]>typed

> Hi

> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been opened
> up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes. Nothing has
> been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a Blackburn and cost
> a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything. It was parked up in
> front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really crowded.
> What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike unattended?
> It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything else you can do?
> Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the bag, but don't want
> to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier bags? Bet they'd weigh
> something if there is.

> Chris

I think you can get wire mesh rucksack covers which might do for
panniers. I've forgotten their name, sorry.

I can also recommend hooking panniers to either the inside or the
outside of supermarket trolleys which you then push, rather than drag...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 31 Aug 2004 13:20:19 GMT, Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also don't vist shopping centres.

Don't know if you're familiar with the town, but the way Reading is laid
out now, most of it *is* shopping centre. ):
It's all compartmentalised and sterilised, there's an area where the shops
are, then there's an area where the bars, restaurants and cinema are. It's
as if they're saying "this is where you spend your money, and this is
where you have fun". Almost creepy if you think about it. Since it was
built, it's totally changed the rest of the town.
--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:52:49 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I've used a pac safe before. It is a lockable steel mesh, designed for
> rucksacks.
>
> See http://www.pac-safe.com/ and they are available from most good
> outdoor
> shops.
>
> ..d

Cheers, shall look at that.

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:16:06 +0200, Mark South <[email protected]>
wrote:
> You say nothing was taken. Could it have been the security people from
> the
> shopping centre who had a rummage?

I never thought of that. It's a possibility, but I know for a fact that if
they do anything to someone's bike (such as telling them not to leave it
there or report that someone tried to steal the bike) they leave a note
attached to the bike, so I doubt it.

Bags are useful, I am very fond of my courier bag, but they aren't really
a proposition for carrying a lot of weight, such as themy shopping. So I
will stick with my panniers.

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

Chris Davies popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
and said
> Hi
>
> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been
> opened up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes.
> Nothing has been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a
> Blackburn and cost a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything.
> It was parked up in front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really
> crowded.

No advice for you just a general whinge, son was in one hospital
he needed a small piece of equipment of a size that was held in
another hospital, rather than wait for inter hospital requests/delivery
et al, offered to collect them myself on the bike. He only needed
one so the other 4~5 were left in my panniers whilst I was in the
hospital when I came back out from seeing him his equipment was
gone ,yes someone had stolen medical equipment from a pushbike
in hospital grounds wouldn't have minded so much if the stuff
was valuable but it was useless to anyone else (nasal canula to
provide O2 therapy)[1],they had merely stolen this stuff as an
embuggerance to someone else.
O.K. this equipment wasn't very important in the big scheme
of things but they weren't to know that (am starting to slam the keys
on my board as I remember this incident).

[1] Basically just a plastic tube of a specific size, 1602 in
case anyone recognises what I am talking about

--
yours S

in message <[email protected]>, Chris Davies
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi
>
> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been
> opened up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes.
> Nothing has been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a
> Blackburn and cost a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything.
> It was parked up in front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really
> crowded. What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike
> unattended? It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything
> else you can do? Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the
> bag, but don't want to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier
> bags? Bet they'd weigh something if there is.

Label saying "Tarantulas in transit"?

IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:05:04 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Chris Davies
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been
>> opened up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes.
>> Nothing has been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a
>> Blackburn and cost a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything.
>> It was parked up in front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really
>> crowded. What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike
>> unattended? It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything
>> else you can do? Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the
>> bag, but don't want to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier
>> bags? Bet they'd weigh something if there is.

> Label saying "Tarantulas in transit"?

LOL! I like that one... :)

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

"Mark South" <[email protected]>typed

> > What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike unattended?

> You never have to. Panniers are detachable.

Yebbut the hooks tend to scratch your legs and who *wants* to walk about
dragging 5kg of potatoes all the time?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

www.pac-safe.com You can get them from millets, cotswolds Blacks etc.

> I can also recommend hooking panniers to either the inside or the
> outside of supermarket trolleys which you then push, rather than drag...

Nice and easy for loading as well.

...d

Chris Davies wrote:

> Hi
>
> Rode into town yesterday, and got back to find my panniers had been
> opened up and the contents sorted through I was only gone 10 minutes.
> Nothing has been taken(suprised they didn't take the pump, it was a
> Blackburn and cost a fair whack), but I'm more annoyed than anything. It
> was parked up in front of a shopping centre in Reading too, really crowded.
> What do you do if you have to leave your panniers on the bike
> unattended? It's such a drag carrying them round. Is there anything else
> you can do? Was thinking of putting something unpleasant in the bag, but
> don't want to. Is there such a thing as lockable pannier bags? Bet
> they'd weigh something if there is.
>
> Chris

I don't leave panniers, but frequently wish I could. Have a look in
outdoors shops for a pack-net. Wire net that goes over backpacks etc
and locks onto things. Might be adaptable to use with panniers, and
lock to the bike...

--

Velvet

Chris Davies wrote:

> Bags are useful, I am very fond of my courier bag, but they aren't
> really a proposition for carrying a lot of weight, such as themy
> shopping. So I will stick with my panniers.

If you use a trailer it's reasonably easy to take a crate with you. At
the destination, put the crate in the supermarket trolley, and at the
checkout load it up. Back at the bike, lower crate onto trolley, and
off you go. Much more convenient than stopping to fill panniers, and if
you're carrying tools etc. then leave them in a pouch in the crate.

I've done a fair bit of pannier based shopping in my time, and I've
always found it easier to take them in with me and load them at the
checkout. This is easier if the bags dismount easily, which also makes
it more sensible to take them off in any case...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Yebbut the hooks tend to scratch your legs and who *wants* to walk about
> dragging 5kg of potatoes all the time?

Put the panniers, and the spuds, in a trolley. At the checkout, put the
spuds in the panniers in the trolley, and wheel it out to the bike,
ready to load.

Pete.
--

David Martin wrote:

> On 31/8/04 2:35 pm, in article [email protected],
> "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I can also recommend hooking panniers to either the inside or the
> > outside of supermarket trolleys which you then push, rather than drag...

> Nice and easy for loading as well.
>
> ..d

Just do not do what I did at the local ASDA, packed the shopping into a
pannier at the till after removing the pump from it to make room. left
the pump in the bottom of the trolley and forgot it. Went back two hours
later but it had not turned up so assumed I had lost it, was in the shop
2 days latter passing the bike equipment and there is the pump sitting
there underneath their pumps of course I had just bought and fitted a
replacement earlier that day :-(

Allan

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
> > Yebbut the hooks tend to scratch your legs and who *wants* to walk about
> > dragging 5kg of potatoes all the time?

> Put the panniers, and the spuds, in a trolley. At the checkout, put
> the spuds in the panniers in the trolley, and wheel it out to the
> bike, ready to load.

Not much use if you're buying a couple of pens 2 or 3 km closer to
home than the potato shop, which I think was Helen's point.

Myself, my security is to use a Carradice saddlebag which is always
attached to my bike*, and is immune to thieves, being painted in
oldfartium, which labels it as holding nothing of any value.

*except when arriving at my sister's flat, when it gets unbuckled by
my brother in law if I don't say leave it on within 8 seconds of
getting there. <sigh>