Would drilled frame need a varnish layer protection?

Doncantador

Mar 11, 2012
I have width the internal cable holes in the frame and in the BB area, FD hole to insert all DI2 wires internally. I have heard It might be useful to paint the enlarged holes with clear nail varnish or laquer as now exposed carbon laminate can expand if water gets in there. Anyone knows if this is recommended?

Doncantador said:
I have width the internal cable holes in the frame and in the BB area, FD hole to insert all DI2 wires internally. I have heard It might be useful to paint the enlarged holes with clear nail varnish or laquer as now exposed carbon laminate can expand if water gets in there. Anyone knows if this is recommended?
Clear nail polish is a lacquer, so that or traditional lacquer would be the thing to put on the raw CF. FWIW, it makes no sense to drill holes to make them wider on a new frame. You should have demanded a frame with the correctly sized holes since that frame was designed for Di2.

No it wasn't designed for DI2, I thought it was when I bought it. So I figured out after it was bit too late and I had the UI2 in hand. I had to go either externally and leave the internal housing empty, or to drill them out as was done and use the internal set up.

Doncantador said:
No it wasn't designed for DI2, I thought it was when I bought it. So I figured out after it was bit too late and I had the UI2 in hand. I had to go either externally and leave the internal housing empty, or to drill them out as was done and use the internal set up.
I thought a picture of the frame on the website showed it with Di2 routed internally. Maybe I've just corrupted a memory sector. Ignore then what I said about what should or shouldn't have happened (with respect to the wiring holes) in your other thread (the one with the picture of the bike) .