Would I be cheating on my real bike?

Caden

Jun 30, 2006
Has anyone here who commutes ever thought about "downgrading" the bike they use for commuting? I feel so conflicted! I'm riding my favorite bike - a Trek road bike - which is "My Bike" and I do club rides, centuries, fitness rides, commute, *everything* on it. I never once sat on my old hybrid once I got this road bike. I love showing up at work on this bike.

BUT... It has a couple downsides as a commuter. Doesn't take racks, for one. And I HATE hate hate carrying weight on my back (backpack or messenger). Also, the narrow tires get really dodgy on part of my route in downtown Austin where sand and mud comes up from the creek occasionally. Plus if the weather isn't perfect I have no options for fenders. And I'm looking to become an all-weather commuter.

The other option is my heavy unnecessary-suspension-fork-having hybrid (Giant Cypress) that can take racks, fenders, and anything else. Can't afford to buy a third option.

What's a roadie to do?

By the sound of things you're not too enamoured with the Cypress so why not sell it and get a new or second-hand bike that ticks all the boxes? That way you save wear and tear on your favourite bike and get to keep it longer. Many LBS in our area (Southern England) will do a part-exchange deal if the trade-in bike was in good fettle. Seems a shame to have a decent bike in the garage doing nothing.

Just a thought

Caden said:
BUT... It has a couple downsides as a commuter. Doesn't take racks, for one. And I HATE hate hate carrying weight on my back (backpack or messenger). Also, the narrow tires get really dodgy on part of my route in downtown Austin where sand and mud comes up from the creek occasionally. Plus if the weather isn't perfect I have no options for fenders. And I'm looking to become an all-weather commuter.

The other option is my heavy unnecessary-suspension-fork-having hybrid (Giant Cypress) that can take racks, fenders, and anything else. Can't afford to buy a third option.

What's a roadie to do?
If you check eBay, you will find that you can get a "solid" steel fork for $50, or less ... actually, a lot less (of course, you can pay more through eBay OR at your LBS if you are so inclned) ... you may have to wait a few weeks for one to show up that suits your fancy -- cantilever mounts (make sure they are for 700c which I presume your hybrid has) or disk mount or both.

A tandem fork will be slightly heavier (by a few ounces) than a fork for a "regular" bike ... but, probably not as heavy as your suspension fork.

Just be sure the steerer is the SAME SIZE as on your current fork.

Caden said:
Has anyone here who commutes ever thought about "downgrading" the bike they use for commuting? I feel so conflicted! I'm riding my favorite bike - a Trek road bike. . . BUT... It has a couple downsides as a commuter. Doesn't take racks, for one. And . . . I have no options for fenders. . .I'm looking to become an all-weather commuter. . . The other option is my heavy unnecessary-suspension-fork-having hybrid (Giant Cypress) that can take racks, fenders, and anything else. Can't afford to buy a third option.

What's a roadie to do?

I do not live in the Austin area. My parents retired to the Lake Travis region, so I do know the road conditions in the area.

My personal experience becoming a bicycle commuter has lead me to be a strong advocate of the Touring Bicycle as the best choice. The idea of going many miles while carrying heavy loads up and down hills and over rough terrain is included in the design and gearing of the Touring Bicycle.

I am personally using a Trek 520 for my commuting bicycle. It has the major flaw that the front fork is not well sized for front fenders. There is a previous thread in this forum that discusses the use of SKS Raceblades or Planet Bike SpeedEZ Road fenders on a road bike used for commuting. I have not tried them yet, but I do intend to try setting one or the other of them up on my front wheel.

I do not know how much stuff you need to be able to carry, but another possibility would be to get a BOB trailer. I personally use a YAK and I know that there is at least one BOB advocate in the Austin area.

I would have to say that it all depends on what specifics you don't like about the Cypress. If there are only a couple of things you dislike; change them. If you have many problems consider selling it and getting a different second bike. Personally I have been commuting for several months on a cheap mountain bike, also with suspension fork, and just upgraded to a touring bike. It was a little pricey, but it has the feel of a road bike with the durability and options for fenders and a rack like the mountain bike. Now my old bike just sits!

I switched from my 3 year old racer to my 30 year old racer for commuting. The old bike is less conspicuous and I'm using up all the old crappy tyres on it. It can be parked all day in a dodgy location with little financial risk.

I built up a simple little single speed that I use for Commuting. I still used nice parts however. Go for something cheap and simple!

I have two bikes, a nice Road and a Commuter. My first love is the Road bike, however, it is awful for carrying things, ie backpacks and putting on racks. The commuter is less expensive, and I don't mind locking it up outside. Handles much better with loads and a backpack. While I ride a lot more miles on the road bike, the commuter bike is just as neccessary. My road bike is a Litespeed Firenze (now three years old) and the commuter is a Novara Corsa (about 15 years old). Both are different and I use them for different riding.

I have a bike sickness. I've got a bike for just about every senario. I just finished building a strickly commuter bike from an old '88 Bianchi Grizzly MTB. Works great and I didn't have to spend a fortune putting it together. This saves my other bikes for their intended purpose.