Would it be okay to ride a road bike over gravel?

If its just occasionally then just do it. If its more prolonged and regular, equip yourself for the job in hand.

You can get some of the tyres used by Paris Roubaix riders - the Vittoria Open Pave CG - here is how Vittoria describe them...

mrchainsaw said:
Many of the streets around my house either are 100% gravel or have gravel scattered across them. Would it be harmful to the tires if I ran over the occasional pebble?
I used to ride 12 miles a day on a canal path on my lightweight road bike.
It survived. The important thing was to have good tyres. The chain wore out quite quickly because of grit and dust. I needed to adjust the steering head bearings a bit more frequently than usual and the paiintwork took a bit of a hammering. the biggest hazard was stupid dogs and their owners.

I did find however that a sure way of destroying a lightweight bike double-quick was to ride on the roads of Edinburgh: Home of the pothole:mad:

Insight Driver said:
Why not? A simple answer says nothing, actually. Here is a person giving a legitamate question and he gets a cretin answer from a newbie on the forum. :mad:
A yes or no question....a yes or no answer. I see no problemm with it. The OP did not ask for reasons.

We had about 10 riders on an unscheduled detour during one of our weekly training rides that went down about 2.5-3 miles of gravel and loose sand road. All of us except one were on road bikes with 700x23 or 700x25 tires. Nobody got a flat, nobody fell and broke anything, but I for one won't be doing it again. I felt like I was consistently right on the edge of having my front tire wash out, and I think we were very lucky nobody got hurt and that we didn't all have flats in both tires. As for riding on a paved road with a little gravel here and there, you should be fine, just try to avoid the big rocks and clean/lube your chain often.

I would build a ten speed - salvaged frame - with hybrid wheels and tires (something like I am riding now 700cx38) and save the road bike.

I've done it often, little gravel, medium gravel, dirt trail, snow. Yeah snow...

It's fine as long as you don't get into bigger gravel. Anything too deep will cut sidewalls or ding rims. (And that sounds painfull....)

And careful riding in the snow. Following a dirt path near loveland ski area in mid spring, in the woods wearing just light gear. I realized a few mile back that if i flatted i'd be walking in cycling shoes and spandex for half an hour and likely freeze my butt off...
Funny, i pulled into the coffe shop in Idaho Spgs next to a guy in ski gear. He'd been boarding the pass right above me. Weird meeting...

shannons dad said:
If you're a sick, twisted weirdo paedophile, then yes. She's two years old.:)

Nah. My image of a girl called Shannon wasn't one a two year old! I guess I used to watch too much Home and Away as a kid.

Ive ridden lots of gravel fine, but did get a sidewall cut flat from some gravel on a road once. Just make sure you have something to patch a tire (not just the tube) so you dont have to walk home.

Or carry a spare folding tyre with you.

Many fold small enough to fit in a pocket or wedge, are light enough to be unobtrusive and, that one time that you need to use it, you will be so pleased that its there....

I got a couple of Vittoria Rubino Pros for about £13 each and I just drop one in my jersey pocket as I set off... They aren't the best tyre in the world but they do get you home. In about the last 5 years, I have used one once but that was on a wet, cold day with the light fading quickly and I was really glad to have it

mrchainsaw said:
In case you were wondering, I was asking if it was okay to ride on the roads with some gravel scattered across it, not the pure gravel ones. I don't know why I bothered to mention that. I live by a rock refinery(or something) and their trucks often times drop some rocks. Thanks.
Mr. I glad you cleared that up. Riding on pure gravel would not be worth the torment. I have the same problem around my home. Gravel quarry within 5 miles.

You can ride a road bike on this kind of surface, I've done it lots of times. I prefer the larger tires on a hybred for this type of riding. I actually have Continental street tires on my mountain bike, and it's the best for this type of riding.

Happy Trails :)

Miah said:
I've raced over virtual boulders before on my road bike.
Okay.

But what about 'real' boulders? :D:D

(sorry, I've been on this damn interweb thingy too long.....)